Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:41 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,750,363 times

Advertisements

Islanders, Kings to play NHL exhibition at Sprint Center - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/983516.html - broken link)

Would you want a hockey team in KC? Would you support it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
As an NHL fan, I have little interest in going to these annual exhibition games. I'm not going to pay NHL prices to see these practice games with teams I don't care about. I would rather drive to Denver or St Louis and see the real thing in a real NHL atmosphere where the crowd and the teams are into the game.

These games give very little indication of how a city may or may not support an NHL team. Sometimes they sell out in KC, sometimes they don't. I do think that most people are growing tired of the exhibition games though, especially the real potential NHL fans that would support a real local team.

Having said that, I do think that KC would support the NHL. The city is plenty large enough (over 2 million in metro) to support at least one winter sport. We have a great new arena in a revived downtown and having our own hockey team would really pull all that together.

There is also a mass group of people that don’t get into college sports (myself included) that have a major league void in the winter.

I know I would go to many games.

BTW, I would love to have an NBA team as well. Either NBA or NHL. I think NBA is more of longshot, but the NBA is a higher caliber league than the NHL if you ask me.

The city needs to get serious about finding a major tenant for the sprint center though. Using that arena six times a month is not going to cut it if we want to keep the P&L District going. Just like not adding substantially more hotel rooms and residential units is killing downtown's long term potential for success.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-16-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,952,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Islanders, Kings to play NHL exhibition at Sprint Center - Kansas City Star (http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/983516.html - broken link)

Would you want a hockey team in KC? Would you support it?

We've been getting these games every year for like 10-15 years. It's nothing new.

I personally would like a hockey team in KC. I would probably even buy a partial season ticket package.

But, I dont know how it would do overall. I dont think we would lead the league in attendance but I think we could do decent at supporting the team especially with the new arena.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:49 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,816,825 times
I think if we get a team soon enough, the new arena would help draw them in. The Sprint Center is one of the top entertainment venues in the U.S. right now. After the new wears off, they'll need to win to keep the crowds coming.
I'd support it. Absolutely.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,079,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
We've been getting these games every year for like 10-15 years. It's nothing new.

I personally would like a hockey team in KC. I would probably even buy a partial season ticket package.

But, I dont know how it would do overall. I dont think we would lead the league in attendance but I think we could do decent at supporting the team especially with the new arena.

I was previously a member of the Air Force at Whiteman in the early 90's and just had to give you some info. I'm a NY Islander fan and this isn't just an exhibition.This is actually a try out for the area.The word is that considering how Computer Associates and Charles Wang haven't been turning a profit with the team and because the Rangers(hate them) are the major team in the market the Islanders might be moved to KC. I heard this about 2 weeks ago and it is more then just a rumor.When I was stationed out there I noticed how die hard the sports fan devotion was (especially for the Chiefs) and this team could use that and a little more money put into the team.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I was previously a member of the Air Force at Whiteman in the early 90's and just had to give you some info. I'm a NY Islander fan and this isn't just an exhibition.This is actually a try out for the area.The word is that considering how Computer Associates and Charles Wang haven't been turning a profit with the team and because the Rangers(hate them) are the major team in the market the Islanders might be moved to KC. I heard this about 2 weeks ago and it is more then just a rumor.When I was stationed out there I noticed how die hard the sports fan devotion was (especially for the Chiefs) and this team could use that and a little more money put into the team.
It would be cool to see the NHL in KC. I always thought the NHL didnt give the Scouts enough time to become established the first time (they were only in KC 2 seasons before they moved to Denver).

Old 02-15-2009, 07:22 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,079,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
It would be cool to see the NHL in KC. I always thought the NHL didnt give the Scouts enough time to become established the first time (they were only in KC 2 seasons before they moved to Denver).
Even though i'm a NYer at heart, I willalways have a soft spot for MO. Like NY they have true fan support. Unfortunately NY doesn't have enough love for 2 teams(i don't count Buffalo which is upstate and very far away). I'm a life long Islander fan and if they do move I couldn't think of a better place. Sometime in the future I have to take a trip back to MO to see the old base and Knob Noster,Warrensburg,Sedalia.Is Concordia still a racist area?That was the only part that disturbed me about there and being a bit desolate.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,952,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post

Yeah, there has been talk about the Islanders moving here for the last few months.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:17 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,750,363 times
If the Islanders move to KC you'll need to change the name.

Not a lot of islands around KC as far as I know. Though the Los Angeles basketball team is still called the Lakers.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM

418 posts, read 1,275,739 times
I support the name KC Death Eaters.... sure it doesn't apply to KC at all in any way shape or form.... but I just got done ready Harry Potter.. so.. whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City