Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,961,738 times

Advertisements

My neighborhood was hit by a tornado this last May. I woke up and it sounded like a train was going by right outside my window. I looked outside and the wind was blowing so hard that some of the thinner trees were at a 90 degree angle.

My wife thought I was crazy because I stood by our sliding glass door and watched while she took the kids and the dogs to the basement. I thought it was amazing.

Luckily, only the outside of it hit my house and we only had some stuff blow around and a shed door blown away. Some of my neighbors werent so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM

26,386 posts, read 46,287,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, it's not that bad. It can get pretty "smoggy" on hot summer days, but I'm not sure there is a major metro that doesn't. Most of the time it's nice a clear. But I think we had 3 or 4 red alerts last year.

I think KC is one of the cleanest, big metro areas in the country as far as air quality.

Granite, you keep mentioning coal plants. Those things are all over the country, KC doesn't have any more coal plants than most other areas of the country.

Most of the pollution in KC (like most cities), comes from automobile fumes, small engines (lawn mowers etc) and things like that. The factories put out clean air and steam for the most part now.
I read somewhere that said one mower pollutes as much as 34 cars. However, I think some new legislation came about recently to make those small engines more efficient. KC is very much an autocentric city with sprawl on a smaller scale compared to Minneapolis. Yes, KC has quite a number of old coal plants close to the metro area. I assume you have never seen the Lawrence Energy Center that was built in the 1950s? Smaller cities like Omaha and Des Moines have far fewer coal units. The Midwest, in general, is heavily reliant on coal plants. The jet stream takes some of that less than stellar air and pushes it into the northeast, particularly during the summer months.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,480,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
My neighborhood was hit by a tornado this last May. I woke up and it sounded like a train was going by right outside my window. I looked outside and the wind was blowing so hard that some of the thinner trees were at a 90 degree angle.

My wife thought I was crazy because I stood by our sliding glass door and watched while she took the kids and the dogs to the basement. I thought it was amazing.

Luckily, only the outside of it hit my house and we only had some stuff blow around and a shed door blown away. Some of my neighbors werent so lucky.
Yeah, you do have to be careful around windows - during any strong storm!

KS can sport some pretty dangerous straight-line winds that can blow debris and take out windows. I've sent my kids to basement more than once during such storms even when there was no tornado warning - because I was afraid of a window blowing in or something blowing through a window.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:30 PM

32 posts, read 115,982 times
From the EPA, 2007 data: http://www.epa.gov/cgi-bin/broker?_s...eqtype=viewmap
Air Quality Index for KC: Days Good 190 (52%), Moderate 155 (42%), Unhealthy/Sensitive 18 (5%), Unhealthy 2 (0.5%)

I live outside KC and when we look at the city from a distance we can almost always see haze over the city. I'm sure part of it is humidity.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM

334 posts, read 912,802 times
Any car-heavy city with hot summers is going to have issues with smog. It's mostly ozone cooked up by chemical reactions between the sun and car exhausts. You're not going to find an American City of any size without it, at least in the summer.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 PM

612 posts, read 1,838,785 times
KC is nothing compared to LA's or any other big cities smog. From a distance it would most likely be haze from the heat. It does get quite hot and humid in the summer especially in July thru early August.

As for tornadoes, the majority of Kansans will not take shelter if the sirens go off. Like one person said we go looking for one but rarely will you get to see one (I haven't).

Whatever you do, do not turn to channel 5 and listen to Katie Horner while it is stormy and looks like tornadoes can form... She always goes over the top with warning people, etc.

Other than the summer, the winter is probably the worst of the weather you'll experience. It's not as stable. One day it could be in the high 50's and sunny and then the next day low 20's, snow, and windy (which has happened quite a few times this year already).

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 AM

31 posts, read 89,793 times
Wow, great info everybody! TY

Old 01-29-2009, 09:38 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,961,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
Whatever you do, do not turn to channel 5 and listen to Katie Horner while it is stormy and looks like tornadoes can form... She always goes over the top with warning people, etc..

I second that. You would think that the end of the world is coming by watching her. She is a little too much.

Bryan Busby is the way to go on Channel 9 is the way to go.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,148,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I second that. You would think that the end of the world is coming by watching her. She is a little too much.

Bryan Busby is the way to go on Channel 9 is the way to go.
I LIKE Katie Horner! I prefer her over any other weather people. I think the male weathermen on other local channels are worried that they are being outdone by her. Now if she stays on the air, they make sure they stay on the air. I used to like Gary Leezak best; now Katie's my favorite. Never much cared for Bryan Busby or the others.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,148,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
But you can tell the native Kansans from the rest of the folk when the sirens go off and we all head outside to try and spot one!
We do that too - run out the in street when the sirens go off. Sit on the porch with the neighbors and watch the sky up until the rain or hail arrives - then everyone runs inside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City