Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 AM

26,399 posts, read 46,325,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapasInTheHouse View Post
We keep getting teased with beautiful days followed by winter blasts. I am excited for spring to "officially" arrive. I can't complain too much though, I have family in Iowa and they had a very tough winter compared to us and that's only three hours north.
Well, the Midwest always has much colder winters compared with the Plains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The winters here are a cakewalk compared to what I grew up with in the upper midwest...the snow is minimal, and even the cold snaps don't last very long at all. What's not such a cakewalk is that nobody seems to be able to drive the instant there's anything resembling a slick or snowy texture to the roadways.

Spring and fall are lovely (fall is my favorite overall, and it lasts longer here than where I'm from, which is great). Summer is a good deal too muggy for me, though I love the heat itself. Tornado season doesn't scare me, I've been through an F-4/F-5.
The dividing line between Plains and Midwest weather is generally the Missouri River. East of the Missouri River the winters are much colder and west of the Missouri River they are quite a bit milder. The Midwest has much more sustained cold weather in the winter compared with the Plains.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-18-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,315,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The winters here are a cakewalk compared to what I grew up with in the upper midwest...the snow is minimal, and even the cold snaps don't last very long at all. What's not such a cakewalk is that nobody seems to be able to drive the instant there's anything resembling a slick or snowy texture to the roadways.

Spring and fall are lovely (fall is my favorite overall, and it lasts longer here than where I'm from, which is great). Summer is a good deal too muggy for me, though I love the heat itself. Tornado season doesn't scare me, I've been through an F-4/F-5.
Seriously? Tornadoes don't spook you and you lived through a big one? Tell me! I get spooked by almost any thunderstorm in Kansas, and I used to LOVE them in Chicago.

I am sick sick sick of the weather forecasters in KC and don't bother watching them anymore. They scare the bejeebers out of me and then the storm doesn't come. We were supposed to get 3-5" of snow today and my husband is flying home from Asia, so I was fussing all week that his plane would be diverted and he wouldn't get home until Saturday. So what did we get? Drizzle this morning and some clouds and wind this afternoon.

As for terrible winters in Kansas City -- HA! When I was a kid in Chicago, we would get 18-20" overnight and still have to go to school the next morning!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Seriously? Tornadoes don't spook you and you lived through a big one? Tell me! I get spooked by almost any thunderstorm in Kansas, and I used to LOVE them in Chicago.

I am sick sick sick of the weather forecasters in KC and don't bother watching them anymore. They scare the bejeebers out of me and then the storm doesn't come. We were supposed to get 3-5" of snow today and my husband is flying home from Asia, so I was fussing all week that his plane would be diverted and he wouldn't get home until Saturday. So what did we get? Drizzle this morning and some clouds and wind this afternoon.

As for terrible winters in Kansas City -- HA! When I was a kid in Chicago, we would get 18-20" overnight and still have to go to school the next morning!
Kansas City does not have Midwest winter weather at all anymore! That was one of the many reasons why I moved much further north.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,162,645 times
Quote:

Tornados don't scare me at all. I have lived in Kansas/Missouri my whole life and I have yet to blown away or know anyone personally who was.

About the forecast this week - what I kept hearing is that most of what was happening would be north of us and would be light in KC. Yesterday afternoon/evening we got sleet.

As mild as they are compared to other places, I'd rather have LESS winter. We have plenty of cold days. I'd rather be someplace that I could wear shorts and sandals year round.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:16 PM

62 posts, read 126,578 times
That's the thing I'm going to miss about MO the most - spring and summer.

And BBQ. And the Chiefs (except for this last season...)

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The dividing line between Plains and Midwest weather is generally the Missouri River. East of the Missouri River the winters are much colder and west of the Missouri River they are quite a bit milder. The Midwest is much more sustained cold weather in the winter compared with the Plains.
in the state, it's divided north/south...

I've never lived north of the river...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:

Well, you know what they say...

If you don't like the weather in MO, wait an hour; it'll change.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telepicker97 View Post
in the state, it's divided north/south...

I've never lived north of the river...

That would be correct. Northern MO is generally quite a bit colder than southern MO. The MO river slices through the northern 1/3 of the state.
Further north, Iowa has much colder winters compared to Nebraska. The Missouri River runs along the IA and NE border. In the Dakotas, the eastern portions of those states (east of the MO river) have much colder winters compared to areas west of the river.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-18-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2009, 12:41 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,315,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telepicker97 View Post
Well, you know what they say...

If you don't like the weather in MO, wait an hour; it'll change.
We used to say the same thing in Chicago, and my husband's family in London (UK) says it too. But hooboy -- four seasons in a 24-hour period -- we've had a few of those days this winter, haven't we?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: