Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 01:12 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,741,400 times

Advertisements

Are there any broadband options other than Time Warner Cable that service Kansas City, Kansas? The house I'm looking at is apparently not within range of DSL services either. I'd really hate to only have TWC as my option...

Any help here? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,301,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Are there any broadband options other than Time Warner Cable that service Kansas City, Kansas? The house I'm looking at is apparently not within range of DSL services either. I'd really hate to only have TWC as my option...

Any help here? Thanks in advance!
Ha! I'd give my right arm for Time Warner Cable, even Comcast, and I hated Comcast when we lived in Chicago! Be glad you have cable at all. We only get DSL here in south JoCo and it is a real disappointment after having cable for so long, and they tell us we are really close to the hub.

For television, we are stuck with satellite, and don't even get me started on that.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Ha! I'd give my right arm for Time Warner Cable, even Comcast, and I hated Comcast when we lived in Chicago! Be glad you have cable at all. We only get DSL here in south JoCo and it is a real disappointment after having cable for so long, and they tell us we are really close to the hub.

For television, we are stuck with satellite, and don't even get me started on that.
I do really need another option. TWC wants me to sign a 15mo contract, when I will only be in KC for about 6 months.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:10 PM

328 posts, read 1,391,188 times
Default you can probably not get a contract, but you HAVE to get TWC

Quote:
I do really need another option. TWC wants me to sign a 15mo contract, when I will only be in KC for about 6 months.
Hey, I used to live in the Kansas side of KC. Unfortunately, you are stuck with Time Warner Cable - it is the ONLY cable internet/television option in Wyandotte and Johnson Counties of Kansas.

However, that being said, they cannot only offer packages that include a 15MO subscription. When I lived there, and knew I would be moving to Chicago soon, I paid month-to-month with TWC (Like I do now). I received a special rate for the first year that I was there, but then it went up to around 130 a month.

My advice? Call them, and be explicit that you do not want the "Triple Play Package". Tell them you are moving before your 15MOs is up, and you CANNOT be locked into a contract. I know you will end up paying more then you would have with the "Triple Play" package, but at least you will avoid the HUGE ETF fee for canceling early.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out!

Last edited by alwaystraveling25; 03-05-2009 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Spelled a word wrong

Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
Hey, I used to live in the Kansas side of KC. Unfortunately, you are stuck with Time Warner Cable - it is the ONLY cable internet/television option in Wyandotte and Johnson Counties of Kansas.

However, that being said, they cannot only offer packages that include a 15MO subscription. When I lived there, and knew I would be moving to Chicago soon, I paid month-to-month with TWC (Like I do now). I received a special rate for the first year that I was there, but then it went up to around 130 a month.

My advice? Call them, and be explicit that you do not want the "Triple Play Package". Tell them you are moving before your 15MOs is up, and you CANNOT be locked into a contract. I know you will end up paying more then you would have with the "Triple Play" package, but at least you will avoid the HUGE ETF fee for canceling early.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out!
Thanks. All I want is internet service...I don't even need cable TV as I can watch all the shows I like over the internet anyway. I wonder how badly they'll ding me on month-to-month...? *sigh*

Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Default If you don't get TV Service

Quote:
Thanks. All I want is internet service...I don't even need cable TV as I can watch all the shows I like over the internet anyway. I wonder how badly they'll ding me on month-to-month...? *sigh*
If you don't get any Cable TV Service at all, I would expect anywhere from 45-60 per month, plus taxes. That is the going rate with all of the cable companies I have had in the past if you don't have cable TV service (I have had Comcast, Time Warner Cable, and now RCN - all in different states!).

Good Luck - at least you know what you are getting into - I cannot imagine how many people get the 15MO contract and then something happens and they are stuck paying a huge ETF, bigger then you would with a cell phone, all to save a few bucks a month.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
Everest is the other option in the KC area.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
!
No, it's not the only one. Everest is available in most, but not all, areas.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Default Yes but not in KCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No, it's not the only one. Everest is available in most, but not all, areas.
You are right, Everest is available, but only in Lenexa, Overland Park, Shawnee and South Kansas City. It says it is coming soon to Olathe, Merriam, and Prairie Village, so it won't be in KCK for him anytime soon.

I checked out their website for that info: SureWest - Cable TV, Local and Long Distance Phone and High-Speed Internet Service in Kansas City

Sure wish I would have known about them when I lived in Lenexa!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
You are right, Everest is available, but only in Lenexa, Overland Park, Shawnee and South Kansas City. It says it is coming soon to Olathe, Merriam, and Prairie Village, so it won't be in KCK for him anytime soon.

I checked out their website for that info: SureWest - Cable TV, Local and Long Distance Phone and High-Speed Internet Service in Kansas City

Sure wish I would have known about them when I lived in Lenexa!
I live in Prairie Village and I have known about them for years, but Prairie Village would not allow an Everest tower here and that's why WE couldn't use Everest. We know someone who works for Everest and that's how we knew about the tower issues. They must have negotiated that somehow if now they are going to have Everest in PV. We have used Time Warner for years (even when it was Telecable, not Time Warner), and I have no issues with Time Warner at all. But if Everest (now SureWest) can give me the same thing for less, I'm all for that!

AT&T has been canvassing our area in the last nine months for the U-Verse, etc. I REFUSE to use AT&T. I made a vow many years ago when AT&T held a monopoly on long distance services and did not CARE about their customers that if I EVER was able to break free from them (of course in those days I had no choice), I would never use them again. And I remembered that when they came begging for us to switch from Time Warner to AT&T. NOPE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: