Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 04:51 PM

9 posts, read 22,970 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my boyfriend, myself, and my two children have been renting a property for over a year now from a nice old lady named Lora. Unfortunately we recently were informed that she has passed away due to natural causes. Now the situation thickens. My boyfriend grew up next door to her and would mow her grass etc... during the summer. So his parents that live next door knew her pretty well. We do know that she has multiple heirs standing by in wait for both this property and another which she resided in. The issue is that we never had a written lease with Lora, only a verbal contract. And a few months ago we had to make a couple of repairs and Lora told both us and my boyfriends parents that we did not need to pay rent for 2 months because we paid for the repairs ourselves. Now Lora's daughter has said that they intend to sell the property in the spring but want us to remain until so. However today she showed up to look around and pick up rent, and said that we owe her rent money since November of last year. Which is not true. Obviously we don't have that kind of money just laying around which we told her. She took the rent check and left. Now the wierd part is that she had us write the check out to her deceased mother and was very stern about that and said something about a trust. Now i'm assuming that she may be referring to a living trust. I still find this fact alone odd. Also we have a plumbing problem that has come up and is in dire need of being corrected. Which she does not seem to be concerned with. What do we do? Does anyone know how properties in missouri work in probate, or with a living trust? What are our options besides moving out immediately...because we have nowhere to go. Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City