Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:01 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB23 View Post
See, my personal experience with the Parkville Police is different - but I wasn't a young man in his 20's in red sports car, either.

Once, these not-nice and nitpicky officers came to my house and helped capture an injured racoon off my front porch (a frightened and injured racoon is a scary beast, lemme tell ya), and took it to the nature sanctuary to release it (we went with 'em because we were interested in what would happen).

So, yeah, probably in most cities the police wouldn't bother with such a thing, because they're too busy - but IMHO, it's another good thing about Parkville, not a detraction.

With all my experiences and friends experiences, I am schocked to hear that story.

They harass young people a lot. A friend of mine when I was younger was a skateboarder and always carried his board around with him. He was a good guy, never broke the law or skated where he shouldnt but because he had his board with him and that skateboarder stigma, he always got stopped when he was walking and got questioned about what he was doing and where was he going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM

367 posts, read 817,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
With all my experiences and friends experiences, I am schocked to hear that story.

They harass young people a lot. A friend of mine when I was younger was a skateboarder and always carried his board around with him. He was a good guy, never broke the law or skated where he shouldnt but because he had his board with him and that skateboarder stigma, he always got stopped when he was walking and got questioned about what he was doing and where was he going.
I was in my mid-20's at the time and a student at Park, so there ya go. I never had a problem with the cops there, personally.

I know that the police force were very aware of being a college town and trying very hard to keep things peaceful and safe for everyone. When I moved there in 1995, there had been a rash of some pretty serious garbage can fires and sure enough - guess how old the person was who setting them?

The people of Parkville demand that the cops help keep it a nice and clean place to live. Unfortunately, as unfair as that is (and it *is* unfair) it's the perception that bored, broke young people will get into trouble of one kind or another, so cops tend to sniff around them and question them a lot more than Joe Baby Boomer strolling down Main by himself at 10 pm after Stone Canyon closes.

Parkville is not alone in this, though. I grew up in the St. Louis suburbs (Maryland Heights, Bridgeton) and the same things happened to me and my friends - even when we weren't up to no good (and to be honest - sometimes we were )

If you want to live in a nice, historic, lively town with lots of community activities and a safe place to raise a family, within easy commuting distance of much of the city, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better city than Parkville to do so - it's not a perfect place, but a pretty darn good one.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I agree with all these posts about Parkville, but when people say they live in Parkville, I think 90% of them actually live in KC, North. Parkville is really tiny. I think it only has about 4 or 5k. But the area people consider Parkville is much larger. I think the entire west side of I-29 south and west of Platte Woods is considered Parkville and that entire area identifies itself with Downtown Parkville.

Regardless. It think it's the best suburban area in KC. It really is. Whether it's Parkville, KCNorth, Houston Lake, Weatherby Lake, Platte Woods or even parts of Riverside. It's a neat area with great schools, wonderful terrain, very close to KCI, Zona Rosa, Briarcliff, Downtown etc. Then you have the riverfront trails, downtown Parkville etc.

Wow. Much better than that Johnson County type sprawl over on the KCMO/Liberty line where it's nothing but flat land with 1000's of new homes, traffic and big box retail everywhere. That's a super fast growing and very popular area, but I like Platte County much better.

We can't all live in the Parkville area though.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 17,812 times
Default park hill schools: middle school /high school choices?

thank you for your feedback. so let me pose another question....

lakeview middle school, or congress middle school?

park hill high school, or park hill south high school?

does anyone have any feedback about the catholic schools?

thanks much....

Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masl View Post

thanks much....

Lakeview and Park Hill South. The type of kids your kids will be around will be better at those schools.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 AM

367 posts, read 817,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masl View Post

thanks much....
I'd pick Lakeview and PH South, but Congress and Park Hill are also fine schools.

I wish I could offer feedback on the Catholic schools, but I have no experience with them. I haven't heard anything *bad* about them, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City