Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,069 times

Advertisements

I think its a wonderful concept for a city to impose water features throughout the municipality, one such city (obviously) is Kansas City, Missouri. However, I often wander how Kansas City came up with this concept? How were these beautiful pieces of public art funded? Are they operated year-round or just during warmer seasons? Further, does the implimucation of such works (fountains) enhance a cities quality of life and create a sense of place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Well, it all started as part of the parks plan back when the city first began to expand from the downtown core. I won't go into details of that, but KCMO had and still has a wonder boulevard and parks system which included many fountains. Most are funded, or at least maintained, by the parks department. Most of the new ones are built with private money and maintained with private money or turned over to the parks department after they are built.

Some are totally private like the ones in the Crown Center complex.

Many are year round, either heated, or they freeze over.

I think they add to the quality of life in KC. Fountains are very inviting and they really are a unique thing to KC as far as how many there are around town.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM

327 posts, read 968,163 times
Kansas City is a very aesthetically pleasing city with the wide boulevards, graceful mansions, Spanish architecture of the Plaza, and of course, the lovely fountains.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,391 times
I love our fountains.

List of fountains in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
Thank you for the link and image.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
The fountains are one of the coolest aesthetic features of KC.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM

418 posts, read 1,280,391 times
too bad I just read on kansascity.com that this summer they plan to keep the fountains turned off to save money in KC.... its gonna make a lot of the fountains look meh IMO.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
kcmo, do you have a photo of the Ward Parkway/Meyer Blvd fountain? That is my favorite fountain in KC; it is beautiful!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I think its a wonderful concept for a city to impose water features throughout the municipality, one such city (obviously) is Kansas City, Missouri. However, I often wander how Kansas City came up with this concept? How were these beautiful pieces of public art funded? Are they operated year-round or just during warmer seasons? Further, does the implimucation of such works (fountains) enhance a cities quality of life and create a sense of place?
If I'm not mistaken, most of the fountain areas of KC were designed by J.C. Nichols. He had visited Europe and was inspired by what he saw there. The communities in KC that were developed by JC Nichols are still thriving - the Country Club Plaza, the Country Club District, and Prairie Village that I know of; there may be others. Prairie Village was once named the best-planned community in America.

Jesse Clyde Nichols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, a lot of what Kansas City is noted for, I think, we owe to J.C. Nichols. I saw a documentary about him that was fascinating. Wish I could find that same information online.

http://commerce.uli.org/Content/Navi...ls/default.htm

"Wayne Nichols, the grandson of J.C. Nichols, says his grandfather understood the diverence between simply building subdivisions connected by streets and utility lines, and building neighborhoods connected by community events and shared amenities. Indeed, J.C. Nichols never described his developments as subdivisions. "J.C. Nichols believed that you must create the software of communities as well as the hardware. In this respect, he was very much a visionary. His imprint, his giving the community an identity, is still alive," Wayne Nichols says. "It's that sense of community, of togetherness, that makes J.C. Nichols' work so important to modern community planning."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: