U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM

864 posts, read 1,183,192 times

Advertisements

So while city-data had tons of problems the other day I searched for other things related to KC, and found a website that was linking photos found from the KC library and other sites related to KC in the 20s-30s.

I thought some of the buildings looked great, and wondered... would anyone be interested in seeing them rebuilt? For the preservation and historical restoration of downtown, I think it would be great.

My questions are as follows:

1. Please look at the pictures and tell me, what do you think the building could be used for? What would be the interest? How would you say it would be best to sell this to be rebuilt and why would people be interested?

2. Are there any other buildings people may have pictures too to link. Inside and outside if possible.

3. I doubt it would be possible to rebuild these to their previous locations, so in what area downtown do you think this would best fit in? I don't think it should be just these buildings rebuilt either... I think new buildings with a similar style of architecture should be added to the area as well. Once again any suggestions?

This would require a lot of money, but it may be possible to get help from local corporations and businesses who might be interested. I think this would easily be a draw to downtown KC which has only been getting better, and would help increase people there, hopefully attract more businesses and through taxes would end up just helping the city as a whole.

So please look at the pictures, if you have more of the same buildings or pictures of inside any of them, or any new ones you like please add to this thread.

Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 AM

Not a single person on here thinks anything of this? I hope there are no replies yet because the forums have been having problems the last few days..... maybe it just seems to unfeasible to some?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:25 PM

496 posts, read 542,648 times
Yes, it is a tragedy that these buildings have been destroyed and it would be great to see these rebuilt, but there is no chance of it happening.

There's a reason you don't see buildings like those going up anymore - it costs too much in today's construction market for that level of quality masonry and craftsmanship.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,277 times
Well, lemme see.
The top two are of the old Westgate Hotel that stood at the intersection of Deleware, Main and 9th. Demolished to make way for - an abstract statue but moreover to re-route Main and Deleware over the "new" 6th street trafficway. (now I-70)
Then there's the old Kansas City city hall. DAMN would I like to see something like that rebuilt.
Too bad cost is prohibitive.
Fountain Place apartments that used to stand at Independence Blvd & Highland. Would love to have those back as well. Urban renewal claims another archetectural treasure.
Then the street shot looking down at hte old County Courthouse - again, demo'd for what today is a surface parking lot.
Same with the old Tower / Pantages Theater. Too bad theaters aren't like this anymore.
Kansas City, unfortunately is too "western" in its thinking. BY that I mean western United States. Demolish it and build new seems to be the prevailing mentality. Moreover, demolish and leave barren such is the case in the old Pendleton Heights neighborhood wherre and 1890's Chateauesque duplex is being demo'd fore really no reason at all when other, more "dangerous" structures in the city are left standing. (Disney Laugh-O-Gram Studios)

Sad to say - the city's Landmarks Commission is a toothless giant that literally does nothing to encourage or enforce proper preservation of historic structures. Too chickensh*t and scared of litigation to move in the right direction.

Sportster
...truly a sad testimony

Old 03-30-2009, 07:03 AM

419 posts, read 879,741 times
Any idea how big of a difference in pricing it would cost to build some of these compared to others? It may be expensive, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted.

I know nothing of the cost of building, I just think it would add a lot to the city to have these rebuilt, and would do more to help a downtown that just keeps getting better. Even if they couldn't be done in their original location, it'd be cool to have them downtown in a historical block or something...

Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,896 times
I am coming to the discussion late and from far away, but, even besides the quality of the buildings, these are beautiful images. Does anyone remember when the Fountain Place Apartments were demolished or know what took their place?Also is anyone familiar with the 2 vacant brick three story Corinthian-columned apartment buildings in the 1300 block of East 27th Street? Back in the WWI era, these were part of a complex of 8 buildings that wrapped the corners of Tracy and West Paseo. I have been trying to find whether the complex had a name but am having no luck in the "Apartments" section of the 1930s KC Directories.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 PM

448 posts, read 802,705 times
I beleive the 4th picture down is of the apartment building that sets across from the Lamar's Donuts on Main. Is that correct. The building is still there and someone invested in rehabbing it, but I don't think people have had much interest in living in the building.

My passion is with the old school buildings like the old Benton Grammer School. It is so frustrating to see the school distrct let these building set when there might be organizations that could use these buildings and restore them.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM

I found a book on KC "then and now"

None of the buildings I posted are still standing...

Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM

448 posts, read 802,705 times
I have a copy of one of those books. I beleive they actually have three. They make wonderful coffee table books, lots for people to talk about.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,464 times
Hi, skrizzle!!! Those shots are gorgeous and so are the buildings!!!

I didn't know KC had those buildings before! The detail they put into those buildings were pretty amazing!

It is really unfortunate that they've all been torn down to make way for "new stuff".

Even the Westgate Hotel, that is probably the most plain-looking, had so much "character"!

Are there still areas in downtown KC that look like the locations above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City