Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:36 AM

16 posts, read 65,249 times

Advertisements

Crime Reports has indeed given me great info - 100-300 crimes per 14 DAYS in this city? Like.. within a couple of miles of EVERY address, including ones in the "better areas"...? O_O; I don't know, maybe it's that I'm from Vermont, but that's A LOT of crime. A lot of crime.

...Maybe I should, err.. consider a safer place to go to school... :O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaasana View Post
Crime Reports has indeed given me great info - 100-300 crimes per 14 DAYS in this city? Like.. within a couple of miles of EVERY address, including ones in the "better areas"...? O_O; I don't know, maybe it's that I'm from Vermont, but that's A LOT of crime. A lot of crime.

Well, keep in mind that even the very best areas of the metro (including the burbs) are almost all within a couple of miles of where most of the crime is concentrated. It's just not that big of an area.

Overall, most of the metro area is 5-10 on my scale. (With 1 being the worst.) You should be able to find what you're looking for, but it is on the low end pricewise. That means you will have to look hard for a house that needs a lot of work in an otherwise nice area, or you will be in a not-so-great area.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 AM

What about 430 NE 45th St, Kansas City, Clay, Missouri 64116 - mls 1604115 price listed at $25,900

That looks like a decent area and a cute little house. Can others comment on the neighborhood?

Disclaimer: I'm not a realtor, I have no interest in what you buy or where. I'm just showing you options I see based on the criteria you gave.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
As long as you stay out of the very worst areas of town, I don't think you should have worry too much about crime.

Unfortunately, crime happens everywhere in the country - even in the nice suburbs. Personally, I choose not to worry about it. I've lived in parts of KC that some people may consider to be not the best areas, but I've never had any problems. Neither have any of my friends or acquaintances who live in those areas.

I think as long as you're smart, and not looking for trouble then you'll be fine.

However, if you've never lived in a city before, and you're not comfortable urban environments, then you might have difficulty finding something in the city in your price range that would work for you.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
You also have to remember that you are looking in the heart of a major metro area. The population of metro KC is nearly four times that of the state of Vermont.

There are hundreds of thousands of people, if not over a million, within 5-10 miles of the areas you are looking at. The chances are low that you will be a victim of a crime, especially a serious one.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
What about 430 NE 45th St, Kansas City, Clay, Missouri 64116 - mls 1604115 price listed at $25,900

That looks like a decent area and a cute little house. Can others comment on the neighborhood?

Disclaimer: I'm not a realtor, I have no interest in what you buy or where. I'm just showing you options I see based on the criteria you gave.
nice find samantha.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
nice find samantha.
Thanks! I'm becoming a pro at this househunting stuff. I just wish I could find one for me!!!

We've been looking for several weeks now and just not finding anything exciting. I'm hoping more come on the market after Easter.

This one looked good to me because the houses around it look nice and are bigger. I'd rather have the lowest end house in the neighborhood than the nicest/biggest. The other properties will help prop up the value of yours and help you get some return on your investment.

But I'm not familiar with that exact area. It looks okay, but I hope someone more familiar will comment.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaasana View Post

Crime is everywhere. When I lived on the Plaza, one of the more upscale of urban neighborhoods of KCMO, I had my car broken into twice in under a year, and everything I had in storage units in our upscale building's basement stolen by somebody who sawed off the locking mechanism. Granted, it's not violent crime, but it's pretty ridiculous to have to worry about that crap in the so-called hoity toity areas of a given city. By contrast, I lived for several years in a much rougher area of Chicago, and had absolutely nothing ever once stolen, vandalized, or otherwise molested.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 PM

14 posts, read 28,396 times
If you move anywhere in Kansas City, make it Kansas City North aka "North of the River", you'll be glad you did.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:03 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
From crimereports.com, it appears there was a homicide on 89th street recently. Very close to the address in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City