U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 PM

4,132 posts, read 2,316,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
It depends entirely upon who you have to share the ocean breeze with. No offense, but I would not trade you. Using the 'square peg in a round hole' analogy is maybe a little too descriptive for how I wouldn't fit in in S.F.
Very valid point - and I'm not a very good "fit" with the culture here either. I'm many respects I'd rather be in KC, but I thrive on cool and that makes this area a little easier to live with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 03:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,241,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I know this thread is getting off-topic, but the best car for snow driving is the certified used Subaru I bought a few years ago. It plows through deep snow, and can handle class IV through class VI dirt roads with ease. I am much more cautious when the roads become icy, though.
It's not a traction problem (for me, anyway); it's the traffic. There is always somebody out in a bald-tire beater who jams traffic up for miles.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,068,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Can't speak to the allergy issue; I guess I don't have any.

Bottom line is, what affected you adversely may not do the same to others, correct?
I came across something a while back where they did a study and concluded Kansas City is the worst place in the nation for allergy sufferers.
I never knew I had allergy problems until I moved here.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:17 PM

8,911 posts, read 7,486,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I like the cold down to about 50 degrees. If I have to put on more than a jacket, it's too cold.
For me if it's below 60 it's too cool, and I'd really prefer to be able to wear shorts and sandals year round. Kansas City summers are just fine to me! Bring it on!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:33 PM

18,339 posts, read 15,833,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
One of the primary issues that I have with the KS side is the aforementioned lack of contribution towards civic projects, as well as the unhealthy competition that detracts from downtown KC.

But really, I have a problem with suburbs in general - especially exurbs. The Kansas side just happens to embody all of the worst characteristics of suburbs and is home to the most sprawling exurbs in the metro.

A large part of my distaste for suburbs is due to the history of their origins and their impact on urban centers. I know that most people living in suburbs today didn't have anything to do with it, but these cities still stand as a symbol of the scourge of White Flight and the resulting devastation of Urban Renewal.

Before the advent of the suburbs, Kansas City had a remarkably dense and thriving urban core filled beautiful historic buildings and an extensive streetcar system. Suburban White Flight devastated the city.

Also suburbs are horrible for the environment. The sprawl makes public transportation difficult and forces everyone to drive miles for everything. Moreover, the McMansions and strip malls that are continually sprouting up devour natural resources. Suburbs embody unsustainable American consumerism.

Most suburbs are disturbingly homogenous (see previous paragraph re: White Flight). Segregation is not good for our culture. Living in the suburbs doesn't mean you are racist, but it just so happens that they are the areas that most racists prefer to call home.

That's the end of my rant. No offense meant towards any suburbanites. Plenty of good people live in the suburbs, and if that's what makes you happy, go for it. They're not for me, and I don't agree with what they embody.
I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I moved to Kansas City several years ago, and chose to live in the urban core versus the suburbs (those on either side of the state line) very deliberately, for this reason. As a newcomer with no real background on the area upon which to draw, any state line rivalries were not a part of my choice of where to live, I have no MU OR KU ties that factor into my decision, etc.; just plain and simple, I do not have any desire to live in suburbia. That doesn't necessarily make me an anti-Kansas person, as I view Lee's Summit, et al in the same light as I do the KS burbs, i.e. not for me.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 8,772 times
Default Plain and simple

Here's the difference--

On the KANSAS side: being Republican and pro-business, they do a great job plowing in winter, because commerce depends on it--however, they build homes in flood plains, to squeeze just a little bit more profit out of the individuals (suckers) who buy them. Taxes are actually higher for homeowners, because businesses get the breaks.

In MISSOURI, the Democrats there can't plow worth anything, but all of their flood plains have been made into beautiful parks. Government is typically inefficient. The schools are generally worse because they just can't get it together enough to make them work.

Dave Barry once said that a (MO) Democrat will always stop to help you change your flat but will accidentally set fire to your car -- and a (KS) Republican can do the job but won't in case he'd be late for ugly pants night down at the country club. Pretty much sums it all up.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,343,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
You're not alone, that's for sure! Although I wouldn't move because of the extreme Summers, it's the winters that will eventually send me away.

Same here. My wife and I will eventually move when our kids get a little older to get away from winter weather. We want to live in San Diego, Southern Texas, Miami, or somewhere else that is warm year around with very little precipitation. If I could iive somewhere where is it 75-90 all the time with no rain, snow, wind, or any other type of weather I would be in heaven.

I honestly do not see how someone could prefer cold weather and snow.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,068,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgandl View Post
Here's the difference--

On the KANSAS side: being Republican and pro-business, they do a great job plowing in winter, because commerce depends on it--however, they build homes in flood plains, to squeeze just a little bit more profit out of the individuals (suckers) who buy them. Taxes are actually higher for homeowners, because businesses get the breaks.

In MISSOURI, the Democrats there can't plow worth anything, but all of their flood plains have been made into beautiful parks. Government is typically inefficient. The schools are generally worse because they just can't get it together enough to make them work.

Dave Barry once said that a (MO) Democrat will always stop to help you change your flat but will accidentally set fire to your car -- and a (KS) Republican can do the job but won't in case he'd be late for ugly pants night down at the country club. Pretty much sums it all up.
There aren't enough high spots in Kansas for everyone to live on a hill.
As for plowing, I live in Independence, and the roads are taken care of just fine. With only 20 inches of snow a year, it's almost a non-issue to me. What is that? 4-5 days of inconvenience out of 365? Who cares.

I consider myself to be pro-business and somewhat conservative. I do have a liberal stereotype of hating sprawl, however.
The pro-business attitude of JoCo is one of the few things I admire about the place. I don't think they handle the growth very well, though. Very bland and needlessly spread out.
I absolutely hate it when a company moves from KCMO to Kansas, but I think it's much more KCMO's ineptness than Kansas stealing the company.
The issues that are pointed at Missouri as a whole are usually problems that are unique to KCMO proper.
Schools in the MO suburbs are great.
The city governments are mostly fine.
Most suburbs in MO are pro-growth, and showing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Same here. My wife and I will eventually move when our kids get a little older to get away from winter weather. We want to live in San Diego, Southern Texas, Miami, or somewhere else that is warm year around with very little precipitation. If I could iive somewhere where is it 75-90 all the time with no rain, snow, wind, or any other type of weather I would be in heaven.

I don't think Miami has very little precipitation. Nor does southern Texas, really. I lived in south Texas for a while. What a dump.
The desert southwest is the only place that it hot and dry most of the time.

Some of us have fair skin that burns easily.
Some of us sweat profusely when the temps are above 75 degrees.
Some of us are downright cranky when it's hot. Crime rates generally are higher in warmer climates. There are a few exceptions.

Some of us love winter.
We love the snow, and all the activities that go with that.
Some of us like to do outdoor activities in the summer, but resist because of the heat. Believe it or not, people in Arkansas don't get out much for about 3-4 months out of the year. You're more likely to see them barbeque in January rather than July. Some of them, at least.
The south would never grow without air-conditioning.
Some of us couldn't care less about swimming in the ocean year-round.
Some of us think shorts are dorky, and makes one look like a tourist.
Some of us like changes in the weather.
I loved the rain we got over the weekend.
I'd also love to go see Zack Greinke pitch tomorrow night, but I may not bother since there's a good chance of rain. Oh well. There's more to life than baseball.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM

8,911 posts, read 7,486,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

I too would like to live somewhere that it is 75 to 90 all the time but I would like occasional rain and I like wind - especially when it's 90 degrees! I love to sit outside on summer nights and hear the wind rustling the treetops, and also the wind blowing leaves in the fall. Cold wind, snow and ice I could live without.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:34 PM

15,420 posts, read 21,591,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post

Some of us love winter.
We love the snow, and all the activities that go with that.
Some of us like to do outdoor activities in the summer, but resist because of the heat. Believe it or not, people in Arkansas don't get out much for about 3-4 months out of the year. You're more likely to see them barbeque in January rather than July. Some of them, at least.
The south would never grow without air-conditioning.
Some of us couldn't care less about swimming in the ocean year-round.
Some of us think shorts are dorky, and makes one look like a tourist.
Some of us like changes in the weather.
I loved the rain we got over the weekend.
I'd also love to go see Zack Greinke pitch tomorrow night, but I may not bother since there's a good chance of rain. Oh well. There's more to life than baseball.
I completely agree with most of those points. I think many people are highly split regarding whether they prefer warm/hot weather most of the time or cool/cold weather most of the time. Of course, those climates where the temperature is always between 55-75F are super expensive.

Send some cooler weather this way... It was 92F this afternoon in central NH. That is a record high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City