U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 13,926 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently trying to relocate to the Kansas City/Raytown (64138) area. We currently live in Overland Park and I know that this could easily be considered an odd move. We both work in Overland Park but need to be closer to the area for other reasons. We know that we would be commuting so we want to stay near the highway.

Truth is we are very reluctant because we are trying to find a decent neighborhood near James A. Reed and Gregory Blvd. We are somewhat familiar with the area (as far as getting from place to place) but know nothing about actually living there. Does anyone have any advice on moving to this area? Is it safe? What do we need to know getting into this? Younger couple just trying to make sure we are covering all our bases.

Anything would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM

805 posts, read 1,222,077 times
Unless you relish the Commuter 500, you will hate that commute, almost immediately. You are going with the salmon...westbound on 435 in the morning, eastbound at night. One little hiccup and it's stopped for miles.

As far as Raytown goes, I doubt that it deserves the negative reputation it seems to have. I've know people who lived there and survived(!) it. To hear a lot of people talk, that would seem like a major triumph. My advice, which holds true no matter what part of town you live in, is that if you can ascertain that your neighborhood is comprised of mostly owner-occupied homes, you can be fairly confident that crime will be low. Avoid living near apartments, obvious rental houses, etc. I've been there.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 PM

7,732 posts, read 9,463,670 times
Actually the commute from the Raytown area to OP is not bad at all. In the morning, 435 SB is pretty much wide open and when you merge onto WB 435, you have wide open lanes as the lanes drop and exit at 103rd. Even when there is a wreck and 435 backs and up causes massive backups along NB 71 and WB 470, you will typically have little to no delay on SB 435 till you get closer to 103rd even while passing cars stacked up on the left lanes of WB 435. Plus, here is a secret. If SB 435 ever does back up, take the SB 71 exit. Once you pass Bannister, you will once again have an exit option for WB 435 (it’s for Bannister traffic). You will pass all the traffic on the big SB bridge and merge even later, passing more traffic.

In the evening, it’s the same deal. Most of the traffic is heading to 470 and 71. If you stay to the left and go to 435 NB, your lanes will move much faster and once you start heading north on 435, traffic is a walk in the park. The only problems you might have is around 70 and you will get off before that.

Even if there is a wreck or something, you have more options like Blue Ridge. You might be delayed a few minutes by taking Blue Ridge instead of 435.

So the Raytown to OP commute is not bad at all. It’s the Lee’s Summit to OP commute that can get downright nasty. 470 backs up for miles and if there is a wreck, you have few options and can be stuck on 470 with no way to escape. If there is a crash at 435 and Nall, 470 will back up solid past Hwy 50. Same with 71 going out to Cass County.

As far as Raytown goes.

I don’t get the image it has at all. I mentined earilier that the much of Raytown and areas around it (north of 87th) is very similar to many parts of JoCo like along Antioch north of 95th. Same housing styles, similar demographics etc. The schools may be a bit better in Shawnee Mission, but I know a lot of people that live in Raytown and they still say most of the schools in the district are fine.

I still have a lot of relatives in Raytown. My parents moved from Hyde Park to Raytown decades ago and still live in the area northeast of 63rd and Blue Ridge Cutoff behind the GE Tower. It’s a VERY nice, well kept, mature area. They just built a new Applebees and QT at 63rd and Blue Ridge and Briarwood is about remodel their shopping center (where Price Chopper is). If you drive down Blue Ridge Blvd between Raytown Road and Highway 40 along the east side of Raytown, you would be amazed at how nice that area is. If you drive around east of Woodson, you will see areas where homes are in the 300’s. Just northeast of Raytown in KCMO and Independence are also some very nice areas. There are also some very nice areas along 83rd Street between Raytown Road and 350.

Raytown is building a new Super Walmart and Home Depot out near the big mega church along 350. Hyvee is moving into the former Snucks.

Come to think of it, most of Raytown is pretty decent. If it’s ghetto like people think it is, then people better stay out of places like Gladstone, Merriam, eastern Shawnee, far northern OP, Roeland Park, Mission etc.

Raytown has a image bad mostly because of what people think of Raytown is not Raytown. The area around Bannsiter Mall is not Raytown. Blue Ridge south of 87th through Ruskin is not Raytown. SKC (the area between Raytown and Grandview) went through some horrible years. Most people that go to the Truman Sports Complex think they drive through Raytown when they take the side streets. They don’t. They drive through SKC.

As far as SKC.

That gets a bit more complicated. You have to be very careful in SKC. Some areas like Ruskin, parts of Hickman Mills and parts of the Robandee areas are pretty bad anymore. Bannister Road for example is probably a road I would stay away from, unless it's east of Noland where there are many very expensive houses going up. Blue Ridge south of Bannister and North of 71 is also shady. 87th between 435 and Blue Ridge can be a bit shady, but I look for that area to improve very soon with the redevelopment of Banister Mall.

The areas east (and some west) of 435, north of 87th, west of Blue Ridge and south of 63 are still solid, safe and well maintained areas. It gets a bit more flaky north of 63rd around the Eastwood Trafficway area, especially west of 435, but I have a brother that lives in near 435 and Eastwood and they have not had any problems.

Generally most of the city of Raytown is fine, if not really nice for a starter home. KCMO in that area is fine west of Raytown and south of 67th to about 87th. Areas east and northeast of Raytown city limits area also good areas. There are also some very nice areas west of 435 near Swope Park that you can see from 435.

Be careful as you go south of 83rd or 87th all the way to 470 and beyond. Try to stay away from the apartment complexes and duplexes in this entire area.

That’s my imput!

Last edited by kcmo; 04-22-2009 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
So the Raytown to OP commute is not bad at all. It’s the Lee’s Summit to OP commute that can get downright nasty. 470 backs up for miles and if there is a wreck, you have few options and can be stuck on 470 with no way to escape. If there is a crash at 435 and Nall, 470 will back up solid past Hwy 50. Same with 71 going out to Cass County.
470 doesn't go to Nall; it ends at the 'Triangle', dumping its traffic onto 435 or 71. From the Triangle to Nall is on 435 which is the route the OP would be traveling. That is the typical mess of which I spoke. I've commuted the opposite direction on 435 since 1980; I always thanked my lucky stars I was not going the other way. I can't begin to count the number of times I've seen traffic stopped on westbound 435 in the morning and eastbound in the evening. Even the 'opposite flow' direction is getting bad but it is still nowhere near as bad as west in the morning, east in the evening.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:47 PM

I was just saying that if there is a wreck on 435 and Nall, (I know where Nall is), that it will do more harm to 470 than 435. Even when there is a wreck on 435, traffic moves. The delay going into the Triangle at night is only ten minutes max. It's a LOT of traffic, but it's 4-6 lanes. It looks worse than it is. 435 moves a lot of cars. It fills up and looks nasty, but actual delays are not as bad as you might think.

470 is only 3 lanes and when something happens on 435 and that clogs up the Triangle, 470 can become total gridlock. Not 35-50 mph but 0-10 mph all the way from 50hwy. You can get from Raytown to OP in 20 minutes during rush hour and visa versa. It's not a bad drive.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 AM

I have done the drive many times, currently do it at least 3 times a week if not more. If I want to avoid the highway I just take Gregory all the way across the state line and I end up right where I need to be going either direction (75th and Metcalf area). We were looking at a house near 79th and James A. Reed but were told that we may want to stay away from that area because of the nearby apartments. We just aren't sure where to go when we really need to stay near the specific area of Gregory and James A. without going much off the beaten path. Still totally lost on where we may end up but really appreciate the input!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Apartments in this part of KC are really the culprit of most of the problems in the area although most of the problem complexes are south of that area closer to the Bannister Mall area. Too many of them are section 8. KCMO putting so much section 8 housing (as well as overblown and exaggerated racial tensions) in SKC was the primary contributor to the total collapse of SKC, Hickman Mills, Ruskin area.

If you want to live in a nice apartment complex, you are going to be in the Northland, JoCo, Lee’s Summit or the city, not this area.

That’s why I said to stay away from apartments and duplexes in far east KCMO as well as Raytown.

I think so long as you don’t back up to an apartment complex or have to drive by one to get to your house, you should be fine. 79th east of Blue Ridge is a decent area, have you looked a bit further east? Sound like you are very specific on where you can live. That firefighter that got a new house from Extreme Makeover lives in the area you are talking about .

Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think so long as you donít back up to an apartment complex or have to drive by one to get to your house, you should be fine. 79th east of Blue Ridge is a decent area, have you looked a bit further east? Sound like you are very specific on where you can live. That firefighter that got a new house from Extreme Makeover lives in the area you are talking about .
It is a pretty specific area making options limited. It does involve driving by part of an apartment complex to get there, it is however down the street a bit. Past Blue Ridge doesn't work

Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 AM

Why are you confined to such a small area?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Why are you confined to such a small area?
Distance from a certain location is incredibly important. I'd rather not get into details as to why, just that we are trying to hit a certain area on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City