Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
BostonToKC:

Thought you might be interested in this:

The Nation's Dumbest Drivers - WalletPop
lists are stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I dont understand how talking on your cell phone is distracting. How is it any different than having a conversation with someone else in the car or even talking to yourself. You're talking, that doesnt take away from your driving.

Texting could be a problem but I never understood how talking on your cell phone is distracting. It doesnt take your eyes off the road and is actually less distracting than conversing with someone in the vehicle because you dont turn to look at anyone.
Most people drive alone, it's not like 2 out of 4 cars driving during rush hour has two people carrying on a conversation in them.

When you do have somebody in your car you are talking with, they tend to be somewhat alert to what's going on and will tell you if you are about to smack into the back of a car. The person on the other end of the cell phone isn't going to do that.

There is a difference. Some people can multi-task and can drive and talk on the phone just fine. Those people don't bother me.

A lot of people can barley drive without being on the phone. When they get on the phone, they are a hazard.

I don't care when see people on the phone. I care when they are on the phone and totally oblivious to what's going on around them. There is one thing worse than a slow driver cruising in the left lane. A slow driving cruising in the left lane on the phone that has no idea people are trying to get around them.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Most people drive alone, it's not like 2 out of 4 cars driving during rush hour has two people carrying on a conversation in them.

When you do have somebody in your car you are talking with, they tend to be somewhat alert to what's going on and will tell you if you are about to smack into the back of a car. The person on the other end of the cell phone isn't going to do that.

There is a difference. Some people can multi-task and can drive and talk on the phone just fine. Those people don't bother me.

A lot of people can barley drive without being on the phone. When they get on the phone, they are a hazard.

I don't care when see people on the phone. I care when they are on the phone and totally oblivious to what's going on around them. There is one thing worse than a slow driver cruising in the left lane. A slow driving cruising in the left lane on the phone that has no idea people are trying to get around them.

My problem with that is that how is talking on the phone distracting. You are still looking forward. You just are opening and closing your mouth. That's it. That shouldnt take away from your driving.

There are other things that are far more districting than a phone conversation. Screaming kids, loud stereo, looking at something at the side of the road, changing the CD in the stereo, changing the radio station, etc.

IMO, talking on the phone is the least distracting out of all of those because it doesnt take your eyes off the road.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
My problem with that is that how is talking on the phone distracting. You are still looking forward. You just are opening and closing your mouth. That's it. That shouldnt take away from your driving.

There are other things that are far more districting than a phone conversation. Screaming kids, loud stereo, looking at something at the side of the road, changing the CD in the stereo, changing the radio station, etc.

IMO, talking on the phone is the least distracting out of all of those because it doesnt take your eyes off the road.
Your eyes may be on the road, but your brain is not fully engaged in driving. Some people are better at multi-tasking, and some people are really bad at it.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:44 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
I actually passed a guy this morning that was reading a book while driving. He was going like 20 under the speed limit too.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Just this week a goober was texting and rearended two police cars!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,064 times
Born & raised in KCMO & have lived in NY for the last 30 years. Trust me you don't want to drive in NJ or NY & by comparison KC is sweet.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyo View Post
Born & raised in KCMO & have lived in NY for the last 30 years. Trust me you don't want to drive in NJ or NY & by comparison KC is sweet.
I love to drive in NYC.

The last time I was there, I got tired of wasting so much time trying to use transit and taxis and just rented a car (I was in other boroughs, not just Manhattan).

Last summer, we drove right through Midtown Manhattan to get from Philly to Boston, just to take the kids through the city.

I pretty much fit right in. I honk and wave my hands and ask "WTF" more than the locals do I think .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City