Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 AM

14 posts, read 37,584 times

Advertisements

Ok, you guys helped me a lot a few weeks ago. I posted a possible relocation to Independence and the replies have been extremely helpful when talking with employers. Now that offer has changed we are considering job opportunities in Blue Springs or Stanley.

I would like opinions on working and living in either place.

It's me, my hubby and my 1 year old son and this would be a permanent move. Schools, crime, cost of living and overall pleasantness of the areas are important. We would want less than 30 minute commute.

We currently are in a 10 year old home with 2000 sq ft home on the east coast ($1700 mortgage) and would look for something similar (hopefully cheaper). Green spaces a must! Walks, bike rides, yards are important to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:44 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonejen View Post
Ok, you guys helped me a lot a few weeks ago. I posted a possible relocation to Independence and the replies have been extremely helpful when talking with employers. Now that offer has changed we are considering job opportunities in Blue Springs or Stanley.

I would like opinions on working and living in either place.

It's me, my hubby and my 1 year old son and this would be a permanent move. Schools, crime, cost of living and overall pleasantness of the areas are important. We would want less than 30 minute commute.

We currently are in a 10 year old home with 2000 sq ft home on the east coast ($1700 mortgage) and would look for something similar (hopefully cheaper). Green spaces a must! Walks, bike rides, yards are important to us.
Blue Springs is a smaller suburb that would have a lower cost of living compared to Stanley (which is actually part of Overland Park). Your housing dollar will stretch much further in Blue Springs compared to Overland Park and you would be closer to the ammenities of KC, MO if you choose Blue Springs.
Both cities are safe suburban areas for the most part. Schools- both would probably be good although I don't know as much about Blue Springs overall.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Hard to beat Blue Valley schools (Stanley). Between the two, I would choose Stanley. But I prefer the KS side over the MO side of the line, so it's an easy choice for me.

Coming from the East coast, you will find housing much more affordable here. Housing in Stanley will be a little more than in Blue Springs, but still quite affordable.

Welcome to KC!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
There is quite a difference between Blue Springs and Stanley.

Stanley is not really Stanley. Stanley was a tiny town that is being swallowed up by Overland Park sprawl. If you live in Stanley, chances are you are living in a new home in far south OP. Not an older home in a small town. It’s a quickly developing area, but it's far from built out. Even though OP is large, the Stanley area maintains its small town KS feel to some degree because it's not fully built out yet like most of OP.

Blue Springs on the other hand is not as large as OP, but it's not small either. Blue Springs has 60,000 residents. Grain Valley has close to 20k and Blue Springs and Grain Valley act as one city. Then you have Lee's Summit next door which is close to 100,000. So the area would be very comparable to Stanley when it comes to population.

Schools. I'll say it for the 100th time. I think the schools in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit are as good as they get. Same with Blue Valley. I don't know why you would choose one area over the other just because of schools. Blue Valley is almost entirely upperbracket, they don’t have even a small lower income population that can offset stats like Lee’s Summit, Blue Springs etc do.

The big differences are in the feel of the areas. South OP is WIDE open and very flat. There are not many trees, the right of ways of roads and highways are huge etc. Everything is extremely spread out and I happen to think the built environment is very bland due to the strict rules that OP has on buildings, colors etc. You can't tell a sonic from a goodyear store. But overall, it’s more upscale.

Blue Springs and Lee's Summit is set in a totally different topography. Water is everywhere, massive parks, lakes, rock, river valleys, and very dense forests. Many of the new housing developments are built right in the forests and up against parkland. It's very different than southern OP.

While there are tons of upscale housing in the area, there is also far more starter housing and modest housing in the area around Lee's Summit and especially Blue Springs than southern OP. That doesn't mean the area is less desirable, it just means there is a wider spectrum of demographic living in the area.

Both are nice suburban areas. It all depends on what you want I guess.

I would equate the Stanley area to the kind of sprawl you might see in NW Phoenix or N Dallas and the kind of Sprawl in east Jackson to suburban areas near west county St Louis or northern Atlanta.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 80,054 times
You mentioned that you wanted bike trails nearby, you'll have to look fairly hard for those unfortunately. Kansas City currently has a rather pathetic bike trail system. It's a known problem, and local government keeps saying they're doing something, yet they never have the money where their mouth is. I think it's unbelieveable that the tiny city of Liberty, MO has probably 10x more trail mileage per capita than the entire KC metro area. Since I'm up in the Northland, the best place for me to hit some trails is over in Smithville. Since you're looking in Blue Springs and Stanley now, I don't know what their trail systems are like, but don't be surprised if you end up underwhelmed by bike trails.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 AM

16 posts, read 67,833 times
Default Blue Springs

Hi...my name is Mike and I am a partner with the largest real estate company in the Kansas City area. I would suggest Blue Springs as a more centralized area in the metro. Schools are great, Homes are moderate, lots of ammenities and you would avoid KS taxes. If you have questions please feel free to call me at my office.Modcut- send contact info to the poster via a direct message if they request it.... I would be happy to help you find a home and show you the area.

Regards

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-08-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,518 times
do not move to Blue Springs. Crime is moving in here and people are going to begin moving out as soon as they can sell their homes. Independence Center Mall had a shooting on Saturday. Stay away from here if you want your life and the life of your child!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykelly55153 View Post
do not move to Blue Springs. Crime is moving in here and people are going to begin moving out as soon as they can sell their homes. Independence Center Mall had a shooting on Saturday. Stay away from here if you want your life and the life of your child!
LOL, this post is about as stupid as responding to a 2 1/2 year old thread (I'm sure the OP has found place to live by now). Everybody is going to sell their homes and move because there was a shooting at a mall that is not even in Blue Springs.

Funny thing is that I don't recall hearing near the panic when things happen at Oak Park Mall which actually seem to happen more frequently than at Indep Center.

Man Killed, Officers Injured In Overland Park Shopping Mall Shooting

Woman Robbed At Oak Park Mall Parking Lot - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City (http://www.kmbc.com/r/25352541/detail.html - broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kelsey_Smith

BTW, I would never even mention things that have happened at Oak Park Mall. Like Independence Center, I think Oak Park Mall is a totally safe place to shop or dine any time day, night or weekends, but feel I must defend Independence by comparing it to a similar mall. When things happen at Oak Park, they are ignored or the blame is put on visiting kcmo people and so they are treated as isolated incidents. If things happen at Indep Center, it's just the area is going downhill the entire area is becoming crime ridden ghetto. And methtownmall? Really?

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2012/...town-mall.html

I will never understand metro kc...

Last edited by kcmo; 01-16-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,518 times
Okay. The KCMO school district is broke and they are giving their students the option of going to Blus Springs to school. Right now Blue Springs pays about $9 thousand per student-and our schools are not rated as high as Johnson Cty KS. Just imagine what we will be spending per student with the new influx of gangbangers from KCMO?????Have your children in a safe school district-go to Kansas!!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
^Well honey, you might lok into this a little bit. If it happens it will be KCMO who must pay for the "influx of gangbangers from kcmo"

Here's my question: How much farther do you think you can go!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City