Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM

43 posts, read 124,087 times

Advertisements

When will it become truly family friendly? I am divorcing and would give anything to move back in the city with my boys. I want a family friendly neighborhood, I don't want to have to use my car just to go to a park. I want a decent school. I want grocery near.

I love that KCMO is evolving I just wish it was a more diverse evolution. We need families in the city as well as the young people that can afford the lofts and condos.

The models of what I want are out there, they just exist in the burbs.

I hope I am wrong and ya'll slam me with specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Brookside is a great family neighborhood with parks, nice grocers etc.

Thousands of middle and upper class families live there.

You just have to be either willing to deal with the schools or can afford private.

KC is really not all that differenct than any major urban city in this regard.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:05 PM

43 posts, read 124,087 times
Portland would be the exception for sure. Other than that you are probably right.

As renewing our city moves forward I just wish they would consider family friendly areas however the schools will still be a problem.

My oldest is starting kindergraten ths year and will go to a catholic school. If we were in a position to move now I would probably try to get him in FLA.

We will see.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couragerqd View Post
I love that KCMO is evolving I just wish it was a more diverse evolution. We need families in the city as well as the young people that can afford the lofts and condos.
And they won't come until the schools shape up. The most family-laden neighborhoods in the city are those that are home to parents affluent enough to go with private schools. The bulk of those young people in the lofts and condos are largely the same people who will ship on out to OP and Lee's Summit and the like as soon as they have school-aged kids.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
The closest thing KC has to having everything like that is a suburb... North Kansas City. You can walk anywhere in that little town. Grocery store, parks, community center, bowling alley, and several restaurants. There's a nice mix of old and new houses there.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
I am a student at UMKC and I would not recommend moving your family anywhere in the main part of the city. As a young adult with friends who have decided to live in the city ( both on the plaza, near Westport, and in the northern part) all that I have heard are horror stories. Friends getting their heads bashed in with hammers, windows in cars smashed in, amongst other things. Remember that when people rob houses they don't do it in their own neighborhood. I live in Lee's Summit and just deal with the commute. My safety is more important than culture. Lee's Summit is #21 on the safest city list.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
When I lived on the Plaza, the scariest thing that ever happened to me was that about 2 bucks in change got stolen from my unlocked car.

Now that I live in Waldo, the worst "crime" I've seen is some asshat stealing my magnetic autism awareness ribbon from the back of my car while it sat parked in front of my house in our quiet subdivision.

Badass.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbmcamaro View Post
I am a student at UMKC and I would not recommend moving your family anywhere in the main part of the city. As a young adult with friends who have decided to live in the city ( both on the plaza, near Westport, and in the northern part) all that I have heard are horror stories. Friends getting their heads bashed in with hammers, windows in cars smashed in, amongst other things. Remember that when people rob houses they don't do it in their own neighborhood. I live in Lee's Summit and just deal with the commute. My safety is more important than culture. Lee's Summit is #21 on the safest city list.
As an urban dweller in Chicago soon moving to KC, I've seen the crime rates are similar. People like to sensationalize that stuff but ignore the horrifying highway accidents that happen every week. Also, those who are often targeted are obvious victims who don't look like they keep their wits about them. Look up the stats...you are way more likely to get seriously injured commuting than you are living in the city.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Isn't Northeast/Columbus Park becoming more family friendly? I know it used to be a rough neighborhood, but with the River Market bouncing back and lofts springing up nearby, it seems like it has cleaned up quite a bit and you can find some good housing stock for cheap with parks nearby, all in the shadows of KC skyscrapers.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM

66 posts, read 243,917 times
Hmm, I don't think Columbus Park proper was ever that rough. A little "old school" (hate using that word but don't know how else to put it) but not bad. There are some housing projects just north of Columbus Park that can be a little gnarly you could say. Anyhow, I think most of the gentrification happening in CP and some (very few) parts of North East is mostly young adults without children. It is truly a shame that there aren't many "family friendly" neighborhoods in the heart of the city and here is the key point: that are within reach of the working class. Let's be real though, Brookside while in the city is definitely Suburban in nature. Nothing wrong with that but it really doesn't feel like a "city" neighborhood. Wow, I had more on this but it looks like it was deleted (went back to edit for elaboration). Anyhow, it just comes down to the $ and it's gonna get worse and worse. I really feel for people with children who live in the cities and don't make enough to live in one of these desirable, walled off by high rent, etc areas. It's a shame because many are out there doing the right thing but if they can't afford to pay a certain amount for rent or buy housing then there gonna be living in the land of saggy pants and gun shots, unless ya want to move to the boonies. The days of the old, tight knit, safe, pushing babies in stroller neighborhoods are long gone for the working class of the U.S. as far as I can see. Only upper middle class and above will be able to live in "nice" parts of the city and/or inner ring suburbs. Sad but I think it's true.

Last edited by Jimmy Burma; 07-21-2009 at 07:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City