U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 AM

15,193 posts, read 20,714,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Statistics would disagree with you. Have you ever looked at housing in other parts of the country? Houses are way more expensive in most of the country compared to here.
That is true. However, KC is well below average in terms of RE appreciation over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM

472 posts, read 771,724 times
KC is pretty insulated from national real estate booms and busts - which is a good thing these days.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 8,876 times
I hate Kansas city it is the worst place to live the people are rude and socially backwards Modcut- inflamatory

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-23-2009 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 07:14 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,873,336 times
^I'll agree that there's an overabundance of rude people, but I wouldn't say they're blow-up worthy.

Anyway, I'll say bad drivers. We all seem to agree on that. Whether we think they drive too fast or too slow or just too generally stupid, they're bad. No way around it. Yes, other places are just as bad, and maybe even worse, but we're pretty bad.

Strange how the people seem rude, but for the most part, service usually seems pretty friendly, whether it be at the drive-through at the local fast-food joint, or the guy selling you you're new roof. They're pretty good at customer service around here. I've mostly just got Arkansas to compare it to, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

I hate the division. The Dog River-Wullerton crap gets old. I obviously get caught up in it.
I liked JoCo when I moved here, but after we started meeting people from there, we got these awful looks when we mentioned we lived in Independence... and we lived there............ON PURPOSE! Holy Cow! What were we thinking? Oh my! Didn't we know it was just an extension of East KC? Didn't we know it was just a white-trash cesspool, and that our children were doomed to become meth-heads? Oh my!
Either that, or they treated us like we were charity cases. Uhhh.. 'k.
Forget about having anybody over to your house if you live in Independence. You're company will surely be dodging bullets, pit bulls, jacked-up 4X4's, and meth fumes to get here.

I hate that the Royals stink.

I hate that we don't have a National Hockey League team. The newly founded Missouri Mavericks in Independence should comfort me a little...
UNTIL THEY ALL GET HOOKED ON METH, AND END UP IN REHAB!!! OH MY!

I hate that the Chiefs haven't been to a Super Bowl in my lifetime.

Sprawl. Say what you want, but in my opinion, it's crap. I think most would agree, but a large percentage of those either don't think about it much, or don't care enough to complain. But I'm certain they'd rather things not be so far away. I'm not against suburbs, but why on earth far-flung Olathe has 100k residents is anybody's guess. They like to be that much closer to back home, perhaps.

Kansas City's government. It's a big reason for that-there sprawl. It also would be nice if they would prioritize things. Sports arenas are cool, but there's sewers and water mains and potholes and police forces to tend to. That's the kind of stuff prospective residents look at, not how nice and fancy your no-tenant arena is.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Sprint Center, and for the most part, it's been good for the city.

KCK. Not sure why, but I just don't like it.

I don't particularly care for the proximity to Arkansas, Texas, or Oklahoma.

The climate here is just too hot. Also, the lack of snow is saddening. But hey, in JoCo, they'll clear that dusting off in no time flat! Woo Hoo! You can go 90 in a 60 after all! YAY! You're 2 1/2 minutes earlier for work than you would have been otherwise! Yippee! Take that, Bossman!

I hate the crime. I don't care the thuggish/trashy/abrasive-culture. It's everywhere you go, in every part of the metro. Worse in some places than others.

Most importantly, I absolutely CANNOT STAND the FM radio stations around here. They are a new level of awful.
Hideously mainstream, with untalented personalities, they offer nothing for me to listen to.
97.3 The Planet played great music, even if they're DJ's were corny. Then it switched to playing hard rock (what else in this town?), and now, it's a K-Love station, which is still better than that '80's hair band crap that was on for a brief time after the Planet went away.
Don't even get me started on 96.5, with their 12-year-old-brained goof-balls, who pathetically try to be political, and still think the shock-jock thing is cool. How '90's of them.

I hate that I have to drive all the way up to Zona Rosa just to eat at Noodles & Company. Okay, there's the ones in JoCo, but it's all the same distance from me. Grrrrr.

I hate that the only Chipotle in Independence is tiny, and always busy... and still too far from my house. Ditto with Popeye's. Grrrrr.

I hate that I'm closer to K-Mart and Wal-Mart than I am to Target. Grrrr.

I hate that there's no Mexican restaurant on the Independence Square. Good grief, it's about the only thing they don't have yet... that and a Chinese place. The Square is a fantastic place for a date, by the way.

I hate that I hate so much about it, but really, I still like KC..... mostly...... for now........................

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 12-29-2011 at 10:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,734,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I liked JoCo when I moved here, but after we started meeting people from there, we got these awful looks when we mentioned we lived in Independence... and we lived there............ON PURPOSE! Holy Cow! What were we thinking? Oh my! Didn't we know it was just an extension of East KC? Didn't we know it was just a white-trash cesspool, and that our children were doomed to become meth-heads? Oh my!
Either that, or they treated us like we were charity cases. Uhhh.. 'k.
Forget about having anybody over to your house if you live in Independence. You're company will surely be dodging bullets, pit bulls, jacked-up 4X4's, and meth fumes to get here.

I hate the crime. I don't care the thuggish/trashy/abrasive-culture. It's everywhere you go, in every part of the metro. Worse in some places than others.
So you admit the thuggish/trashy/abrasive-culture exists "everywhere" in KC, and yet if I point out that it's not nearly as pervasive in JoCo and that's one of the many reasons I prefer that area, I'm a snob.

Got it.

Incidentally, this is one of the things I dislike about KC: The presumption that I look down upon the rest of the metro because I choose to live in JoCo.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 12-29-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,873,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
So you admit the thuggish/trashy/abrasive-culture exists "everywhere" in KC, and yet if I point out that it's not nearly as pervasive in JoCo and that's one of the many reasons I prefer that area, I'm a snob.

Got it.

Incidentally, this is one of the things I dislike about KC: The presumption that I look down upon the rest of the metro because I choose to live in JoCo.
Yes, it is everywhere in KC. My point was that Independence isn't nearly as bad as people try to make it sound.
Also, I don't want to be looked down upon just for living here. My goodness, it's really not that much different than any other part of KC. Sure, there's northern Independence, but it's a big town, and there's much more to it than 24 hwy.
That's the snobbish part of it all, thinking that the entire Missouri side is like that. Never mind that most of it isn't.
I'm not saying you're guilty of it, but there are legions of Johnson Countians who are guilty.
You and I have our differences, but I hope you realize that my issues with JoCo aren't always directed towards you personally. I know I get riled up over this stuff, and it's all nonsense, really. These forums, for better or worse, are just a relatively painless way to let off steam.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 12-29-2011 at 10:57 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,734,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
You and I have our differences, but I hope you realize that my issues with JoCo aren't always directed towards you personally. I know I get riled up over this stuff, and it's all nonsense, really. These forums, for better or worse, are just a relatively painless way to let off steam.
But you need to realize that you are just as guilty when you lump all JoCo people together. MANY people do this and I do take it personally. You can't make the kinds of comments you do and then say, "well, I didn't mean you personally."

Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,510,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
people keep saying that KC has a good cost of living, no it doesn't. The housing is overpriced and the taxes are outragous.
Depends on your basis for comparison.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 AM

66 posts, read 144,086 times
Ha, I'll second what North Bound said about the Radio here, in my personal opinion I think it generally stinks like hot garbage in July. I think I got spoiled radio wise living in a few other places. That's really all a matter of personal taste though, so not a huge deal but bothersome in any case. I always hated all of the damned pot holes in Kansas City. I'm sure that's already been mentioned. The crime, yes the crime, crime, crime but ya know it really is this that way to one extent in almost all major U.S. Cities so it's definitely not even close to being unique to KC. I hate the Division between the MO/KS side especially all the JOCO vs Jackson County and the rest of the metro nonsense. I never personally gave a lick about any of it. If you like living in JoCo that's fine, if you like Independence or South KC that's fine as well, all the bickering about it is tiresome. For some reason the news personalities always got on my nerves as well there or a lot of em. Eh, I feel like a jerk saying it but most of them always seemed so corny and small towny, but not small townish in a charming way though because there can be such a thing, it's just not in KC. Did like Bryan Busby though, he always seemed like a nice guy plus he visited one of the schools I attended and was a nice guy. Anyhow, back to things I don't like I really don't like how every little storm gets super media coverage interrupting people's television shows, ball games etc just to let ya know that there is the threat of a "twister" something like 500 miles away. I know that's serious business but my god does the Kansas City media really milk the hell out of the slightest bit of weather. I could go on but I'll stop there because generally I really did (still do) try to point out the good things about Kansas City to all of the naysayers and people who base their assumptions about the place on the Wizard of Oz or what they saw on Cops.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 AM

66 posts, read 144,086 times
Also, I do hate that the Royals fell so hard and far from grace. The original owner Ewing Kauffman, really cared about the organization and it showed. Some progress has been made but the Glass family has got a long ways to go toward redeeming themselves to what true Royals fans are left out there. I really hate the Front Office/Ownership of the Royals at times whether it's completely merited or not, it's just how I feel. I'm afraid the ownership was (maybe still is) running the team like Walmart and has no pride or intention of making them actually competitive again I really hate that the Royals don't have the pride and history of the neighbors to the east in Stl...eh this really meant for the sports forum. I'll cut it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City