U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 AM

7,559 posts, read 9,159,085 times
But why do people bash JoCo? They don't really bash the northland or lees summit or blue springs. Just JoCo? Why?

I lived in the Northland for many years, and lived in the Lee's Summit and Blue Springs area for many years and I have heard far more people from JoCo slam the Northland and other MO side suburbs than people from the city.

The comments we overheard from baseball little leagues alone were repulsive and insulting. If comp teams in JoCo hate the MO side so much then why join a metro wide comp team that travels the metro?

So why is JoCo at the receiving end of so much resentment? Lots of reasons. Reasons you will never accept as reality no matter how many people tell you their little made up lies and stories...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM

7,559 posts, read 9,159,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And that's
Unlike some people, I'm not laying all the blame on any particular area of this metro. As I said before, it seems like a lot of people from all over the metro. And that is why I posted my original post in this thread. Not what I hate about Overland Park or what I hate about Lee's Summit. It's what I hate about Kansas City.
KC in general seems to be like this and you are right, even city dwellers are guilty, I have a few relatives that are like that.

But JoCo takes it up a notch. That's my opinion anyway and I think that opinion is shared by a very large part of the MO side population.

It is what it is.

Westport's image is mostly driven by the media. Much like the Plaza's image was in jeopardy after a few silly nights of teens getting a little out of control.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM

12,062 posts, read 18,658,048 times
I think you guys all bash each other ... yikes.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:33 AM

13,706 posts, read 3,868,325 times
Quote:
I think you guys all bash each other ... yikes.
LOL. Welcome to the Kansas City forum, aragx6. It's been going on for a while now.

How have you been? I didn't know you left Chicago for here.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
LOL. Welcome to the Kansas City forum, aragx6. It's been going on for a while now.

How have you been? I didn't know you left Chicago for here.
Yes, we moved down here last Sept. Stayed in OP for about 8 weeks with my FI's folks and then moved into a little place in Westport. I'm quite the (midwestern) jetsetter apparently (between 2003 and now I've lived in 4 cities and 10 different homes/apts!)

I had a very love/hate relationship with Chicago, but I definitely would have stayed for 5-7 more years were the economy not a deciding factor. The boy has family here and when the economy sucks it's even more about who you know than usual.

I took a break from C-D for almost a year after I stopped modding the Chicago/Chicago Suburbs forums -- just got kind of sick of the same ol' same ol'.

But now I'm back it would appear and I'm enjoying the anonymous discourse once again!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:53 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,735,945 times
Quote:
You and I agree about more things than you'd think Samantha.
I wouldn't be surprised

Old 08-17-2010, 12:01 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,735,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But why do people bash JoCo? They don't really bash the northland or lees summit or blue springs. Just JoCo? Why?
As I said, I've not seen JoCo give or receive any more nor any less. You are starting with a premise that has not been established.

People "bash" others when they are not entirely comfortable with themselves. That's Psych 101

You have stated so many times that you believe that the people of KC have an "inferiority complex". Those are your words, not mine. So the two would seem to go hand in hand.

Unfortunately, the tendency to blame the object of our disdain rather than examine our own motives is also prevalent as you amply demonstrate every time you post.

You're right out of the textbooks kcmo

Old 08-17-2010, 12:56 PM

400 posts, read 532,063 times
Quote:
In addition to Sun Fresh, people can't get enough of stomping on Westport for being some sort of "inner city hell hole. My FI's whole family thinks we're insane and that we live in Westport because we can't afford the Plaza.

When his cousin found out that I take the bus to work every day, she looked at me incredulously and said "You don't seriously walk around that neighborhood by yourself do you!?!" Uh yeah, in the middle of the day I walk around by myself all the time. Are you kidding me?

A coworker who lives right off the plaza told me I shouldn't honk at drivers in Westport because I'll probably get shot.
I used to work in east KC. It was a night job. I drove through all those ghettos past Troost, Prospect, 71 highway, Cleveland, etc. stopping at all the stop lights at 3 am on my way to/from work. I never felt very unsafe, but I knew it was a bad part of town and anything could happen, carjackings, gunshots, whatever.

I would never feel unsafe in Westport. I used to go to the theatre there (Tivoli) and there were so many yuppie types around crime never entered my mind. That's a yuppified area. If you fear that area, you probably fear all urban areas.

Then again I lived in KCK and was the type of person who didn't even report to the police when my apartment was burglarized because the burglars didn't take many things of value. It's about having a realistic view of crime and not living in fear. Mind your own business and don't look like a victim.

That said, KCMO still does have a very high murder rate. Per 2008 statistics, the only cities with a higher murder rate are New Orleans, Saint Louis, Baltimore, Washington, DC, Detroit, and Oakland. Most of the high crime areas in KCMO are east of Troost.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 PM

^^ Chicago would also be on that list too if they reported their stats to the FBI the same way as everybody else. (and St. Louis wouldn't be if they annexed like 50 miles of the county like most cities have in the last 100 years).

Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM

400 posts, read 532,063 times
Well, think how much higher KCMO's murder rate would be if KCMO didn't include the northland. The rate is per 100,000 population. Still 7th highest murder rate in America even with the northland. That tells you something. Chicago's rate is probably watered down because the city is so big (2.8 million) and has many middle-class areas.

Link: United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City