Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Oh, did I say that? I guess I forgot to tell you I was in Raytown last week. Drove by Swope Park to get there too. Cmon, kcmo. We know you hate Johnson County, but the truth is, RAYTOWN IS NOT THE BEST OR THE SAFEST OR THE MOST DESIRABLE PLACE TO BE IN KANSAS CITY. If you want to live there, fine. I don't want to.

And um...you haven't been paying attention because I don't live in south Johnson County and I'm rarely in south Johnson County. There's your stereotype showing up again.
Believe me, I know you would not live there.

But a lot of people find Raytown quite safe and desirable. Again, my parents are some of them. They could afford a 300k home in JoCo or Lee's Summit but would never do that. They probably make 150-200k a year easily. They really like Raytown. They live in a very nice home in a very nice, safe neighborhood.

And they think JoCo people are snobs. I wonder why...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
Well, if you don't think Raytown is a good area, stay the heck away!! And as for my yard looking trashy or redneck, I have the best looking yard in the neighborhood. The only one that has flowers and my boys mow the lawn every 4 days. (Their dad loves fertilizer, when they complain about mowing to often I tell them to hide dad's fertilizer). So Samantha stay in your pristine neighborhood. If my boys want to work on their cars in the driveway and I want my boat in the drive for my own peace of mind that is my business, not my neighbors or a codes inspector. People like the 2 of you are one of the reasons I want to move back to Pittsburgh. People in the KC area are very judgemental of others and too materialistic.

I never said there was anything wrong with Raytown.

I said that cars torn apart and RV's parked all over make a neighborhood look trashy. It seems the City of Raytown agrees with me.

But quite honestly, what makes an area "undesirable" in MY book is not so much what it looks like, it's people who rather than take a moment to ponder whether or not I have a valid point - simply tell me to get the heck out of their neighborhood.

I have heard people from other places comment on the manicured lawns and "pristine" look of JoCo. Some people make fun of it and make fun of me for living here. I have never told anyone to get the heck out.

But then *I* am the one who is called a snob.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:44 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Believe me, I know you would not live there.

But a lot of people find Raytown quite safe and desirable. Again, my parents are some of them. They could afford a 300k home in JoCo or Lee's Summit but would never do that. They probably make 150-200k a year easily. They really like Raytown. They live in a very nice home in a very nice, safe neighborhood.

And they think JoCo people are snobs. I wonder why...
It has nothing to do with being a snob. I know for a fact Raytown is not as safe as Johnson County. My friend who lives there does not feel safe in her own home. I have known her for many years and I have known her when she lived in lots of places in the Kansas City area, Kansas and Missouri. She has been in Raytown quite a few years and has to stay there for reasons I won't dislose here. I prefer to live in a place that has lower crime than Raytown and that is not RUN DOWN like a lot of Raytown is. Has nothing to do with being a snob. It has nothing to do with how much you make and what you can afford. You keep bringing that up. I don't care if I made $40,000 a year; I still would live in Johnson County because that's where I prefer to live. Apparently your parents are comfortable in Raytown. I guess that just depends on what each person's threshold is for certain things. I think a lot of Raytown is run down and unattractive and there is higher crime and all of that doesn't appeal to me. So if I don't want to live in a blighted area, I'm a snob? I don't think so. I don't like being depressed. A drive down Raytown Road can depress me. It has nothing to do with being snobby or how much money you make, it's just a matter of what you like. You like urban areas/older areas. I don't. Like suburban/newer areas.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM

43 posts, read 124,087 times
Wow, you all use many words without saying much. My stress level was elevated just reading all of your posts. I was astonished at the amount of disrespect that you all show to each other. Such a shame as most of you have great stuff to add.

To the original OP. I live in Raytown, I live on the bad side and I have 2 children ages 3, 5. I am in what I would say the inner city school district so my oldest is going to private school. My house was bought as a starter house and our intention was to not have children in it as it is small on a busy street and zoned for what I consider a crappy school.

With all of that said, I have found 2 amazing parents day out programs, playgroups and a great group of moms here. It feels like a small town however you are so close to everything.

If I were in a position to buy a house I would do so based on the school it is zoned for. There are so many great elementary schools here and a few that are not so great.

I do believe there is a transition here regarding race relations, I think there is some racial tension however I think it will subside. Change is hard for many people.

I have heard of cars being stolen in driveways in the winter when the are running.

I have experienced a theft however it was as much our fault as the thieves.

The YMCA here is great and there is also a strong groups of moms there. They have child care. The retail is improving finally. The Hyvee finally moved to 350 which is so nice.

I do agree with the sewer thing, I cannot stand the water and sewer departments.

I however have called the city many times on neighbors because they park in the yards. Or the lawn isn't mowed on a forclosure and really nothing changes. It takes forever for them to act.

All and all this has been a great place for me and my boys and I have found a ton of support and great people.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couragerqd View Post
Hope this helps.
Very much so! Thanks for adding that!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 AM

543 posts, read 2,309,521 times
Courage, we don't live too far from city hall and I see the codes inspector drive through our neighborhood quite often, I think it takes them longer to act if they don't see the violation first. Isn't that sewer bill ridiculous? Mine is higher than my water bill, actually its almost double. Burns me every time I write the check. When we first moved here in the 50's, we still had a septic tank, my dad had to pay to have sewers put in. He told me the other day it was $1 a month to be hooked on to the city sewer system.Amazing huh?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Awful. Mine is $45. And I so have gotten the certified mail and like a dummy I went and got it. What a waste.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Awful. Mine is $45. And I so have gotten the certified mail and like a dummy I went and got it. What a waste.
Is that $45 per month? Or is it every other month?

We just moved, and I don't think I've gotten a wastewater bill yet, or maybe it's rolled into the water bill, I'm not sure.

In Shawnee we paid about $33 every other month for wastewater.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:33 PM

It is $45 a month and it is seperate from water. If I remember correctly they waited a few months before billing as they want to see how much you use.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
It is $45 a month and it is seperate from water. If I remember correctly they waited a few months before billing as they want to see how much you use.
Wow! That is high! But if the regular water bill is half that much, then maybe it all balances out. In our old house, the water bill was 3-4 times the sewer bill, sometimes more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City