Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:15 AM

448 posts, read 1,458,848 times

Advertisements

I think crime can happen anywhere. There are very few parts of the metro with no crime and those outskirt parts are so far from the city center or a decent store that would be the deterent for me. If you enjoy living close to city center, still being safe, unique, well manicured homes, parks and shopping in walking distance, and blocks full of kids and families, Brookside is your place.

From what I see on the news crime is up everywhere, but I am in Brookside every single day and I have never been a victim of a crime or witnessed a crime while being there. Most of my 3 children's friends live in Brookside and I have never heard from thier families about the crime in Brookside being an issue.

For some people being that close to Troost (IMO not really the issue, the issue is further east, east of Prospect and the Troost zone is a buffer) is a deterent, but if you want to have the shorter commute to downtown and you like living "in a more urban enviroment with a surburban feel" it's gets no better than Brookside in Kansas City, IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I spend three to four nights a week practicing with a couple of ensembles I perform with, typically getting out 10 p.m. or after, and I can honestly say that I have never felt an even slightly unsafe vibe in the area at night. Crime can obviously happen anywhere (even in the city's most prestigious real estate mainstays...this spring, wasn't a real estate magnate murdered in his gated community, Sunset Hill mansion?). But I've never felt, in Brookside, that it's lurking around every corner. I doubt very seriously that anybody who's spent any time there would call the neighborhood categorically "unsafe."

Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
He was murdered but the people who killed him knew the person,so it could have happened anywhere

Old 09-19-2010, 06:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Precisely my point.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Default You are wrong. sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Brookside is a pretty safe area surrounded by areas that are not so safe. You can go 1-2 blocks the wrong, you will be somewhere you probably dont want to be.
I've lived in Brookside for 13 years, and I can tell you that your interpretation of "going 1-2 blocks and being somewhere you don't want to be" is completely off base, and fairly racist in my opinion. I have friends that live all around the Brookside/Waldo area and the lack of crime there is what is newsworthy.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 AM

377 posts, read 569,867 times
There's no place where the crime rate is zero, especially in the heart of a major city. Brookside is one of the safest parts of KCMO proper, and the "bad" areas don't start until you go about a mile east. I walk Rockhill and Holmes all the time with my dog without any concerns. Please, if you don't live in Brookside (I moved here about two months ago from downtown), don't start spreading nonsense about "oh dear, 1-2 blocks to the east and you're going to be in a shootout." Thanks.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 11,584 times
Default Brookside is definitely safe.

Second that.
Brookside is definitely safe.

However, I do think that east of UMKC/rockhurst the feeling of safety drops off rapidly (at least for me)

Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
My daughter lived for two years in Brookside. She never encountered any problems. When I used to visit her, we'd take very early morning walks in the area. Never felt unsafe at all. Beautiful and very well maintained neighborhood and village. However, further down the road, east of Brookside, it did begin to slowly look more run down.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:18 PM

180 posts, read 261,725 times
The way the Internet can be, I almost wonder if someone could start a thread asking whether College Boulevard was safe and get people claiming otherwise.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
The way the Internet can be, I almost wonder if someone could start a thread asking whether College Boulevard was safe and get people claiming otherwise.
While I don't know details, College BLVD and that general area does have a fair amount of crime because there's so much traffic from out of town. Prostitution is one of the things the OPPD stays on top of.

Brookside does suffer a bit because of proximity and I do think your chances of becoming the victim of a crime are higher there because of that, despite the immediate area's segregated population of squeaky-clean residents. I don't have the stats, but anybody who is more familiar and honest ought to be able to explain. However, the area works well with the PD and I think that *deters* would-be crime from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City