Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times

Advertisements

Also keep in mind the KANSAS side banned teaching evolution, which included JOCO of course. The KS side recently made news again with it's redneck rap.

And while both areas are typical burbs with lots of republicans... JoCo voted for Mccain by nearly 10% more then Obama. Clay county also went to Mccain... By .8%. So yeah... Hardly redneck/racist land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
OP is burbs of course but feels removed from the city, and the people themselves just judgemental and plastic in general. Most people who I know that live downtown, Westport, and plaza... Very open minded areas... would not want anything to do with the KS side.
Wait, so what are you saying?

JoCo people are judgemental and plastic. Yes, you've made many comments to that effect. And you are not alone. But the funny thing is, while you have made this statement over and over, I have never insulted the people of any other part of the metro. And yet I am the one who is "judgemental and plastic" ???

Then there's the plethora of people you know. Who apparently all feel the same way. They live in "very open minded areas" and yet they "would not want anything to do with the KS side."

Sounds pretty "judgemental and plastic" to me. What's wrong with this picture?

A couple of months ago, in a thread discussing city ordinances about cars and trash in yards, some lady told me, quite rudely, to stay the heck away from Raytown and take my pristine JoCo self back to KS. WTH? Again, I would never insult a person based on where they live. And yet I am constantly accused of being ""judgemental and plastic" and called snobby. I honestly don't get it.

And yes, the creationism/evolution teaching fiasco from YEARS ago, is always a fun card to play. Blah blah blah. But if you're going to keep tossing that around, you might want to educate yourself about what happened and how it was put to rest.

Or .... you know .... you can just go on using it to slam JoCo and KS. Whatever works for ya.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Wait, so what are you saying?

JoCo people are judgemental and plastic. Yes, you've made many comments to that effect. And you are not alone. But the funny thing is, while you have made this statement over and over, I have never insulted the people of any other part of the metro. And yet I am the one who is "judgemental and plastic" ???

Then there's the plethora of people you know. Who apparently all feel the same way. They live in "very open minded areas" and yet they "would not want anything to do with the KS side."

Sounds pretty "judgemental and plastic" to me. What's wrong with this picture?

A couple of months ago, in a thread discussing city ordinances about cars and trash in yards, some lady told me, quite rudely, to stay the heck away from Raytown and take my pristine JoCo self back to KS. WTH? Again, I would never insult a person based on where they live. And yet I am constantly accused of being ""judgemental and plastic" and called snobby. I honestly don't get it.

And yes, the creationism/evolution teaching fiasco from YEARS ago, is always a fun card to play. Blah blah blah. But if you're going to keep tossing that around, you might want to educate yourself about what happened and how it was put to rest.

Or .... you know .... you can just go on using it to slam JoCo and KS. Whatever works for ya.
Yeah I think i'll continue using it to slam KS... since you like to bring up the civil war and the MO side... which is just oooo so recent. You may think in this thread you have been subtle... just as sparkshop asked if attitudes would be different in platte county and you are like "I wouldn't expect them to be" and think that there are fricken tensions from the civil war days? I would think MOST people in the KC metro didn't even have family here back then.

My family was still in Germany when the civil war happened... my girlfriends were still in Ireland... and I'm willing to bet a lot of the general population of KS and MO didn't know where MO or KS sided in the civil war or what Bleeding Kansas was.

You drop your disses on the MO side all the time, the difference is you try to be more subtle. I'm a DJ... I do know a lot of people, I talk to a lot of people, and the majority of residents that I meet through out midtown and downtown don't want anything to do with KS... so I suppose it is judgemental that people who are generally open minded don't want anything to do with people they see as more close minded.

I don't want anything to do with Topekas Fred Phelps and his God Hates **** group... I guess that makes me pretty judgemental not to give him a chance, but I'll deal with it...

Old 10-23-2009, 08:50 AM

448 posts, read 1,458,095 times
Wow, why does every post turn into a Kansas vs Missouri debate. People moving to Kansas City and check this board first are going to think that's all people around here do all day. Is that really the perception we want to give to people?

You all may jump down my throat on that comment, but I want people to know we are overall really nice people who welcome everyone.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 AM

I want to expand on a reply, I actually typed last night on my ipod but didn't go through, and I didn't want to do it again.

I don't know wtf all this small town Liberty stuff is. Liberty can seem quaint because it has a cute downtown area with little shops and the square, and it has older historic neighborhoods around there. It also has some of the newest and best schools in the area. When I lived there (91-99) and was in school I can say 2 things with confidence:

1. I never saw racism, I never saw people treated differently. Race didn't matter.
2. I am pretty sure I always had MLK day off.... not sure when they didn't have it off.

The Liberty School district is big into getting money and from what I understood at the time (which may be completely wrong for all I know, as I heard it from other people) it received more if it had more active school days. We started sooner then other schools, normally got out a few days later, and when many schools got closed for snow days we still had to go. Perhaps this had to do with MLK day? I have no idea... once again I never saw that, the school is 90% white but we still did stuff for black history month, etc...

Also I don't understand the mostly blue collar comments, nor do I think it's relevant. There is nothing wrong with blue collar. The type of work I do (I don't live in Liberty btw) is white collar, yet I know several people considered blue collar who make 2-3 times more a year than I do... many with 6 figure incomes or near it. I think sometimes people associate blue collar with low-pay and thats not the case. I went to school with people whos parents were small business owners, doctors, etc... I had class with the Gary Crossley (of Ford) daughter...

Regardless, Liberty while its older area gives it some uniqueness... is still a suburb. It offers a lot of stuff in a smaller area, but it's still just another burb, nothing sets it apart from the other burbs in a big way IMO.. except I find it to be one of the nicer ones in many respects, and its also a pain to get in and out of with only a few ways, thats the only thing I can see that gives it any kind of isolated feel, even though when I drive (which is normally pretty fast) I get downtown in about 10 mins when I used to live there.

I don't see how Liberty could be associated by anyone as backwoods, redneck, small town minded, etc... its just another burb...

Old 10-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You drop your disses on the MO side all the time, the difference is you try to be more subtle.
No, I just don't insult people based on where they live. I have never said that JoCo is a "better" place to live for anyone and everyone.

Some people don't care for it. This doesn't bother me. I can see the advantages of other areas for some people. If you like the Northland, live there! What do I care?

But for some reason, the fact the I prefer JoCo to other parts of the metro and tell people why I like it, really gets under some people's skin. To the point that they feel the need to call me names and tell me to get the heck out of their neighborhoods.

What's hilarious is that the most frequently used insult is "snob!"

One more time: Pointing out that one area is different from another area is not the same thing as saying that one is better than the other.

This seems to be a very difficult concept for many people.

But people do come to this forum for information about the metro. I try to give the best info I can. It makes no difference to me where people decide to move. I try to do this without making unfair sweeping statements about the people of any particular area.

Why not drop the chip on your shoulder and give it a whirl sometime?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Well that’s just it. I want people to know that there is no difference between living in a nice area of Lee’s Summit or the Northland vs living in a nice area of Johnson County. None at all. Same freaking quality of life, same fancy suburban schools, shopping centers and same neighborhoods with the same soccer moms and suvs and the same people commuting to wherever they work. It’s the same thing. Topography might change. But for the most part it’s the same thing. Only in my nearly 40 years of living in KC and growing up in urban KCMO and dealing with literally 1000’s of people from all over the area. The biggest difference is that for every 1 snobby person in Lee’s Summit or Platte County that think down on the rest of the area, there has been at least 50-100 from JoCo and you will hear this over and over and over again from the vast majority of people that have no ties to either state. It’s a major reason why people do move from JoCo to the MO side after learning the area. Some are able to put up with it or blow it off. Others are not. I will say this. Everybody I know that has similar opinions of JoCo (which is just about everybody I know, even those that live there), didn’t use to have such opinions. You simply live in the area for a few years as a MO resident and the subtle insults will begin to accumulate. Now Samantha you can say it happens in reverse and I’m sure it does, I’m a contributor of it. But just know that you are only getting a response or a reaction to previous encounters with JoCo people, not a pre-emptive attack. People in MO both in the urban core and the suburbs feel extremely looked down on by people in JoCo and it’s not warranted. When you throw in all the poaching of businesses, the lack of metro cooperation etc and it makes things even worse. Right now the MO side is trying to build a regional transit system and as usual, JoCo wants no part of it.

After living in the DC area for a while and having lived in Chicago and StLouis, I can honestly say there is nothing like KC out there. For example, Virginia and Maryland have their differences, but they RESPECT each other and the District of Columbia. It’s not perfect but compared to how JoCo interacts with metro KC it’s night and day. Same with metro StLouis in Illinois, metro Cincinnati in Kentucky etc.

KC has a stake driven through the middle of its heart (state line) and the city will never ever reach its potential because of it.

BTW, I didn’t even know MO was a slave state or that KS was a free state till I heard it from KU fans during basketball rivalry smack talk. Nobody in MO cares. It’s 2009 for crying out loud and KS is one of the most segregated places in the world if you ask me. I mean look at JoCo and WyCo. Talk about class and racial segregation, being “free” sure doesn’t mean much.

Now if you can provide me with the differences between living in Lakewood and going to Lee’s Summit North vs living in Cedar Creek and going to whatever they go to. Seriously can you do that? What is the difference? What is the difference between Shoal Creek and Shawnee or between Blue Springs and Olathe or between “greater” Parkville and Lenexa? I guess Parkville and Lee’s Summit people still hold on to that slavery culture?

Oh and Skrizzle is right. I grew up in urban KCMO and still have many born and raised relatives there and they don’t want anything to do with JoCo and really have no interest in the MO suburbs as well. But when they do move to the burbs, they have all chosen the MO side burbs because to them the MO side burbs is more “Kansas CITY” than the KS side burbs which is more “Kansas”.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Also I don't understand the mostly blue collar comments, nor do I think it's relevant. There is nothing wrong with blue collar.
Likewise, pointing out that an area is "mostly blue-collar" does not indicate any disdain for blue collar workers.

It's a piece of demographic information. It's not an insult of any person or group of people.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well that’s just it. I want people to know that there is no difference between living in a nice area of Lee’s Summit or the Northland vs living in a nice area of Johnson County. None at all. Same freaking quality of life, same fancy suburban schools, shopping centers and same neighborhoods with the same soccer moms and suvs and the same people commuting to wherever they work. It’s the same thing.
And I want people to know that it's NOT the same. It's different.

I'm not saying one is better or worse. Only that I have lived here for 20 years and I can tell distinct differences between areas of the metro.

I encourage people to explore and find what works for them.

Quote:
The biggest difference is that for every 1 snobby person in Lee’s Summit or Platte County that think down on the rest of the area, there has been at least 50-100 from JoCo and you will hear this over and over and over again from the vast majority of people that have no ties to either state.
Oh yes -- the difference is that JoCo people are snobby ...

Quote:
You simply live in the area for a few years as a MO resident and the subtle insults will begin to accumulate. Now Samantha you can say it happens in reverse and I’m sure it does, I’m a contributor of it.
So you admit you are a contributor to the problem.

Quote:
But just know that you are only getting a response or a reaction to previous encounters with JoCo people, not a pre-emptive attack.
And then you are dishonest and blame JoCo for your negative attitudes.

Classic kcmo -- keep the faith, dude!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Oh and please do elaborate on the difference between a small town 60 miles east of KC in MO vs a town 60 miles west of KC? I’m very interested in this. My wife is from a small town in MO and I have spent a GREAT deal of time in most small KS towns because of my previous job and I see no difference what so ever.

So, what’s the difference between Concordia, MO vs Concordia, KS? What about Sedalia vs Salina?

Skrizzle. My blue collar comments are not insults. Liberty to me just seems more blue collar. It’s still a high demographic, but it leans blue collar. That just means that a higher percentage of people work at the Ford Plant vs working at Garmin or that people own construction companies rather than be CEO’s of Sprint. Same with Blue Springs. With that you get more pickup trucks etc. Those pickups are parked in front of 300,000 dollar homes though. Although I think the Shoal Creek side of Liberty is much less noticable.

Liberty is a great area, I was only comparing to more white collar burbs like OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City