Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,232,890 times

Advertisements

I only buy used cars so I don't particularly care where the car is manufactured as long as it is very reliable. With the globalized economy these days, some American cars are made in Mexico while some Japanese cars are made in Ohio. I did have an awful experience with a Cavalier so I am biased against GM, though. I might consider a Ford for my next car purchase as it seems like the company has made some very good strides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:41 PM

19 posts, read 69,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I only buy used cars so I don't particularly care where the car is manufactured as long as it is very reliable. With the globalized economy these days, some American cars are made in Mexico while some Japanese cars are made in Ohio. I did have an awful experience with a Cavalier so I am biased against GM, though. I might consider a Ford for my next car purchase as it seems like the company has made some very good strides.
I agree with you on the manufacturing issue to an extent, but since you used to live here you should know that we have the Claycomo Ford plant that keeps a lot of families going. Hence, buy a Ford and it keeps people like my friends employed. Buy a Subaru and they don't stay working. I'm very anti Japanese cars. I'm a member of a local union trade that believes strongly in trying to keep America going and keep the American working man working. I'm not gonna go back & forth with anyone on issues like this, I have better things to do with my life. This is a trivial matter as to what type of car this guy needs to buy for living in KC. Theres many greater issues in life to be focused on at the moment. He got his share of responses and even a dullard should have a clear idea of what to expect when moving here.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,406,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm207 View Post
Hence, buy a Ford and it keeps people like my friends employed.
Don't forget our Fairfax friends. I have bought 2 Grand Prix' and a Saturn Aura just to do my part to support the KC economy. And I have been happy with all three.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm207 View Post
I agree with you on the manufacturing issue to an extent, but since you used to live here you should know that we have the Claycomo Ford plant that keeps a lot of families going. Hence, buy a Ford and it keeps people like my friends employed. Buy a Subaru and they don't stay working. I'm very anti Japanese cars. I'm a member of a local union trade that believes strongly in trying to keep America going and keep the American working man working. I'm not gonna go back & forth with anyone on issues like this, I have better things to do with my life. This is a trivial matter as to what type of car this guy needs to buy for living in KC. Theres many greater issues in life to be focused on at the moment. He got his share of responses and even a dullard should have a clear idea of what to expect when moving here.
I live in an extremely snowy area so that is why AWD is an important feature I look for. I may consider an AWD Ford for my next vehicle. I do agree that it is important to keep what manufacturing we have here in the US. Have a good rest of the week.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Also, study your regular driving routes to work/school, etc. to determine if they are extremely hilly and look now (before it snows) for alternates. For years I worked at 31 and Broadway and it was always amazing to see so many people getting stuck on southbound Penn Valley Drive as it winds up the hill to 31st.
Definitely. People who aren't familiar with the area are usually surprised to learn how hilly parts of Kansas City really are. It was a surprise to me when I moved here.

I used to drive a tiny, tiny, supercompact stick shift, and generally had to park on the hill where 47th Street rises up west of the Plaza, past Bellview, because there were funky parking restrictions at my building on Roanoke. I worked downtown. On icy days (and, actually many non-icy days), I just said "screw it," and took the Max or the Ward Parkway bus to and from work. Those hills were no good in an itty bitty car with no weight to it when it got glazed over.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM

142 posts, read 412,140 times
I would go with the Ford I think it will be an all around great vehicle even when its nice and sunny outside!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:05 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,954,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Definitely. People who aren't familiar with the area are usually surprised to learn how hilly parts of Kansas City really are. It was a surprise to me when I moved here.

I used to drive a tiny, tiny, supercompact stick shift, and generally had to park on the hill where 47th Street rises up west of the Plaza, past Bellview, because there were funky parking restrictions at my building on Roanoke. I worked downtown. On icy days (and, actually many non-icy days), I just said "screw it," and took the Max or the Ward Parkway bus to and from work. Those hills were no good in an itty bitty car with no weight to it when it got glazed over.

That's a good point. I lived in an apartment for awhile where I couldnt get out if there was ice cover at all because the only way out of the complex was two steep hills. No one got out of there if there was ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City