Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,450 times

Advertisements

Just picked up the latest US News and World Report issue on education and they ranked the Top 100 public schools in the country and one school from our metro made the list.

Congrats to Sumner Academy of KCK for once again exceeding expectations and taking at-risk youth and turning them into college-ready students. Truly an underrated jewel in a metro area where we hear too much negativity surrounding our schools.

Anyone send their kids there? What makes them so effective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM

396 posts, read 998,210 times
Congrats to Sumner! As good as many schools are in this Metro if only 1 could be chosen it's nice to see one from a less "traditional" area on the list.

I do know that the Academy aspect of it plays a role. It is a priveledge to go to that school not a right and if you don't keep on the workload and expectations you won't be a student there.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
A fellow musician in a group I perform with teaches at Sumner...the expectations are no cakewalk. Having high standards is definitely among the things that makes it a quality school. Lowering expectations does nothing but create students with lower expectations of themselves.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:59 PM

448 posts, read 1,457,990 times
Wow, great news. I have always heard awesome things about Sumner. When I was in INROADS we had a few students from Sumner in the program and they were definetely hard workers.

Thanks for sharing this great news!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM

36 posts, read 114,537 times
That is AWESOME we need a school like that on the MO side. Kids in the KCMOSD are suffering and the school board does not seem to really consider it a priority. They just blame one Superintendent after another. As far as I can tell the school board is the only common denominator over the last 20 failed years.....

Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaMMIKC View Post
That is AWESOME we need a school like that on the MO side. Kids in the KCMOSD are suffering and the school board does not seem to really consider it a priority. They just blame one Superintendent after another. As far as I can tell the school board is the only common denominator over the last 20 failed years.....
Agreed. Sounds like they are at least moving in the right direction finally. John Covington is getting rid of a lot of the waste, is bringing accountability back to the administration, and they had a lot of qualified people applying for school board positions.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 PM

55 posts, read 110,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
Anyone send their kids there? What makes them so effective?
Yes, and I would/am going on record as saying it's the people involved. (students, teachers and occasionally the parents)

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City