U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-05-2010, 04:18 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,044,999 times

Advertisements

The underlying issue here is the problems created by providing public subsidies to lure private corporations to relocated or stay put. We need Federal regulation as this has gotten way out of hand. Don't think Kansas City is the only metro struggling with this issue.

Problems with urban school districts are another problem not unique to KC. Most all big cities have terrible schools. This is more of a city vs suburbs problem than an issue unique to kc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:46 PM

55 posts, read 68,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Can you imagine the border wars that would start among the local populations of both sides if anyone were to seriously propose such a thing!?

Talk about political suicide! Hey! Anybody want to turn the clock back 150 years??? Hide your women and children!!
I had this same thought yesterday when I first viewed this thread.

It's probable better that you brought it up.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:31 AM

7,838 posts, read 9,679,903 times
OK, then. How about removing the KC area counties in both states from KS and MO and creating a new political entity? Sort of like DC?

BTW. Can some of you just fantasize a little? Try some imagination. Trust me, I know this is not something that is possible.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 AM

15,403 posts, read 21,493,619 times
Agree 100% regarding the economic decline of KC, MO as a result of bad political leadership for years. This continues to have repercussions for the entire metro area. You can't promote the metro very well as a whole when all the economic and population growth mainly goes to the fringes. I do find the 20% diffirential in non-farm employment between Jackson County, MO and Johnson County, KS to be a staggering statistic in its own right.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:02 PM

18,179 posts, read 15,658,532 times
So how do you get people to stop electing poor leadership?

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM

15,403 posts, read 21,493,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
So how do you get people to stop electing poor leadership?
I think independent leadership that doesn't stress party allegiance is a key. Fresh ideas regarding how to efficiently use tax dollars while retaining and growing businesses in the city needs to be stressed. However, I think many issues are still related to education. The city will stand a better chance at revitalization, venture capital inflows, and entrepreneurship with higher educated workforce. Companies from outside the region would be even more likely to consider KC, MO over JOCO with a higher educated and qualified workforce. The "Brain Drain" phenomenon is not nearly as big of a problem in KC compared to other metros in the Midwest. However, you can never rest on your laurels.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,046,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

I'm just curious as to what sort of drastic problems the OP sees that necessitates this "solution."
You ain't from these parts I take it.

I do like the D.C. idea sort of. Unfortunately, there would inevitably be suburbs on the outskirts of that city-state who would commence fighting the border war.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:36 AM

864 posts, read 1,196,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The best and possibly the only thing that will fix metropolitan KC is if MO de-annexed the MO side of KC so the entire KC area would be in Kansas.

KCK and KCMO could merge into one city of nearly 700,000 people and you would instantly see Downtown KCK become a vibrant urban area like the Plaza or Midtown and simply become a secondary urban center inside the new "KC". Kansas City would then become one of the largest single cities in the nation and would qualify for more fed money.

The Etax would be eliminated and replaced with money from other sources such as future growth revenue, more fed money and revenue freed up due to better regional cooperation.

The MO suburbs of Liberty, Independence, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs etc would be on the same level as Lenexa, Olathe, Shawnee etc. No more cross state tax breaks.

STAR bonds would only be allowed for very special cases of bringing in out of town jobs or to build a true regional attraction.

KC would no longer be ignored by Jeff City and St Louis interests and would become the major city in Kansas and have the full attention of Topeka, Kdot (roads) etc. This would also help KC get more help from Washington DC.

MARC would become more than the joke it is today and become a powerful overlay government with represented by all cities and counties. MARC would have the ability to promote and raise money for regional transit, regional arts programs etc.

As part of this merger, the KCMO and KCK school districts will be obliterated and dissolved and recreated along with many other districts like Hickman Mills and Center. A brand new district would be created and run by hired professionals, not locally elected morons, although those hired to run the district will be hired by elected offices which will be held accountable.

Economic competition between area cities would be controlled via MARC. Tifs etc would all have the same rules across the entire metro area.

Now it will also be easier to give metro area residents discounts to the Zoo or other attractions because the entire area funds them.

The KC area could finally build a regional transit system of buses and rail with no regard to a state or county line. Same with a regional network of bike and pedestrian trails.

Best of all the metro would have a true center in one state. It would change everything in how people think.

I don't know how it would be possible, but I think this would truly fix KC. I'm not sure anything else would.

Obviously it would never happen, and personally I wouldn't want to be associated with KS....

but I do see the point... KC has a hard time cuz of STL, but an even harder time because the metro is split between two states and the metro doesn't work together, it competes instead of being unified.

I agree the answer would be unify the metro areas... I feel there should be a way to do this without merging the city tho.

Honestly, I don't think KS side will ever work with the MO side, and the MO side should be more aggressive, and do what it can to bring jobs back downtown and expand, and basically just ignore KS IMO... working with KS isn't gonna happen, so instead build up the MO side and just make it the more attractive place for business....

easier said then done i Know.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Yeah, I know they have. Which is about the equivalent of your brother-in-law asking for a loan to go bet on a horse.

With the poor fiscal management that KCMO's leadership has shown over the years, it would be political suicide for any KS leader to suggest throwing good money, over the state line, after bad.

If KCMO wants cooperation from JoCo, they first have to show that it's a good risk to take.
This is funny...

only cuz lets face it JoCo wouldn't exist if not for KCMO.... it has absolutely nothing with out KC, there would be no reason for people to go there, because while it might have good schools and jobs, what keeps people in the metro is the culture and entertainment from the MO side, and KS still has nothing that can compete with that....

So thats ridiculous, show its a good risk to take? If KC ever really went into major decline, it would hurt JoCo..

Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I honestly think this is a valid solution. It will never happen but it is intriguing.

My only deal is that Kansas will have to update their liquor laws because only being able to buy 3.2 beer at grocery stores and gas stations is bull****.
And would be historically wrong for KC.... KC has some of the most relaxed liquor laws there is, and didn't even enforce prohibition...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City