U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-28-2010, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 9,557 times
Default Apartments in KC

Im new to this site, but was wondering if anyone is familiar with the rental apartments in kc. I am graduating in may and have gotten a job in south kc (im from the area btw). I am going to be rooming with a friend of mine, so were looking for a two bedroom apartment. We can afford about $600-$800 a month. Our top choices are downtown/rivermarket/crossroads, the plaza, and south kc along I-435.

Would commutes be bad from any of these areas (my friend is working on the plaza btw). I heard the apartment complexes in south kc are a hit and miss. I also heard that some apartments on the plaza are kind of cruddy. While reading an apartment guide I came across "affordable housing" apartments. What does that mean? Are these section-8 or low income housing? Their were a lot in and around downtown kc and looked nice. Were looking for a nice apartment in the $600-$800 range that are not cruddy. If anyone could help us and give us input on this area that would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM

6,742 posts, read 7,743,063 times
First off, don’t be afraid of “affordable housing”. That just means the apartments are income restricted and if you don’t have a high income, you could get into some really nice places in the Downtown area. It’s not section 8. With everything, you have to research, but those are always worth looking into.
It’s been a long time, but we lived at Willow Creek at 100th and Wornall and just loved the location. So close to everything. Very easy to get to the KS side and south KC and even places like Lee’s Summit and also very close to Brookside, Plaza and even Downtown. No matter what, you will never be delayed more than a few minutes driving to the Plaza or even Downtown because you have so many routes to choose from and none are really congested (Ward Parkway, Wornall, Holmes etc.). Again, I don’t know what those apartments are like today, but it’s kind of a gated community. There are apartment complexes all over SKC and they are hit and miss, but the ones south of 95th down to Redbridge always seemed fine to me. The Plaza might be more difficult because it’s just a more expensive area and you might have to go with an older building or something with no parking, on central AC etc. But there is so much in the Plaza area, I’m sure there are things that would work. Midtown is much more hit and miss and areas like the Crossroads and River Market will probably be pretty expensive unless you can find a condo sublease or something.

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:45 AM

448 posts, read 697,088 times
I would suggest looking at Madison Park in South Kansas City. I lived there for a little over a year about 10 years ago. I drive by occassionaly and they still appear to be well taken care of. They are gated, but I loved the location most. They set almost in the Grandview triangle so you can get on the highway from the North and South side or take streets, so traffic was never a huge concern for me.

They also have alot of ammenities, pool, tennis courts, and a very nice club house.

Unread 03-01-2010, 03:17 PM

15,371 posts, read 11,618,315 times
I work in South KC, not too far from Madison Park apts.

When I first started working there, I lived in the Poets on the west side of the Plaza...vintage buildings, not cruddy (not ours, anyway), and affordable. The drive was completely doable, did it in no time. We also rented a three-bedroom house in Waldo for a while, while we were house shopping, and it was also super easy to get to work via either 71 or the Bannister/95th corridor. I currently live in Lee's Summit, and can get to work in SKC faster than when I lived on the Plaza.

Unread 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM

13 posts, read 22,323 times
I know someone who lives in an income restricted apartment at 11th and Grand in downtown. It's an 800 sq ft one bedroom nice apartment. Problems: have to pay for a parking spot if they become available, noise bounces up the concrete walls of the buildings to his 7th floor apt when busses and trucks roar by, it's not convenient for visitors because they have to pay for parking and walk by drug deals going on in front of the building (BTDT), no one in the building really intermingle. I'd look South closer to the main streets thet lead you to your favorite places and work.

Unread 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM

486 posts, read 568,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu10 View Post
Im new to this site, but was wondering if anyone is familiar with the rental apartments in kc. I am graduating in may and have gotten a job in south kc (im from the area btw). I am going to be rooming with a friend of mine, so were looking for a two bedroom apartment. We can afford about $600-$800 a month. Our top choices are downtown/rivermarket/crossroads, the plaza, and south kc along I-435.

Would commutes be bad from any of these areas (my friend is working on the plaza btw). I heard the apartment complexes in south kc are a hit and miss. I also heard that some apartments on the plaza are kind of cruddy. While reading an apartment guide I came across "affordable housing" apartments. What does that mean? Are these section-8 or low income housing? Their were a lot in and around downtown kc and looked nice. Were looking for a nice apartment in the $600-$800 range that are not cruddy. If anyone could help us and give us input on this area that would be great!
I agree with what kcmo said. A lot of those affordable housing places are not Section 8 at all. I'm not sure what the exact requirements are, but I know some people who lived in an apt like that downtown. That place was pretty nice, and they didn't pay an arm and a leg. Most of the people who lived in the building were young professionals/students/recent college grads.

For a lot of younger people, those programs are the only way they could afford downtown since it's gotten pricier over the last several years.

Unread 03-06-2010, 02:57 PM

448 posts, read 697,088 times
I can't remember if anyone mentioned Quality Hill. It is right downtown. I know my parents, who are pretty particular about safety stayed there for a year when my father was working for the city of Kansas City. They needed a place in the city where they could pay low rent and still keep their home in Liberty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City