U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM

23 posts, read 36,713 times
Default Considering Lee's Summit

I am considering a job opportunity in Lee's Summit and have done some preliminary research regarding the city and available real estate. It looks like a nice area but I have a few questions.

I have look at properties in the range of 2,700 to 3,700 square fee of living space. I am wondering what sort of property taxes I can expect to pay, understanding that various neighborhoods will differ. I also wondered where I might consider living if I would like a bit of land (more than a few acres).

I have a family: a wife and three boys (ages 5-14) who are all involved in sports (e.g. baseball, football, basketball, and martial arts). Any additional advice regarding where best to live would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,416,305 times
Lee's Summit has very high property taxes, probably highest in the metro. I don't know if it matters which district you are in (Some of LS is in Blue Springs District, some in RayPec, most obviously in LS District). But taxes on a home like that would probably be 4-6k? LS is a suburb that many choose because its topography, historic areas etc separate it from many area suburbs, so even with higher taxes, it's one of the fastest growing areas of the metro.

Even though LS is physically a large city and still has room for growth, much of the city is parkland and lakes and the developed parts of the city are going to be pretty typical suburban lots. You might be able to find some older homes with larger lots, but all the newer stuff will tend to be standard suburban lots. Areas you might find larger lots are south of US-50 along Prior Road, 291 etc or down near Pleasant Hill, Greenwood etc where it's more rural. Your best bet for a large lot will probably be outside the city limits. You might look into northern Cass County south of Raintree Lake and also along Colbern east of LS, pretty pricey in most of those areas though. I think in most cases, you will either find a shack or a million dollar home though.

LS has very active and competitive public school sports as well as little league sports etc. Can't go wrong there. If you know you will be playing a lot of baseball or soccer, you might think about living near Legacy Park at Colbern and Blackwell, the major park where sporting events take place.

In general all of LS is nice, but the really nice aeras tend to be along I-470, Colbern, 3rd Street, Longview and Ward. Some of the central parts of the city are older and run down while some of the sprawl is nasty track housing in flat, treeless areas (out east along 50). But much is really nice custom homes built into hills and around lakes. The city also has a very vibrant and active downtown district with many festivals, amtrak station etc.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 AM

16,349 posts, read 12,954,371 times
We purchased our first home in LS in the fall...mainly because that's where we happened to find the house we fell in love with, and because of the downtown. Previous to this move, we had been lifelong hardcore city (SO) and very rural (me) dwellers and boosters, and had never really considered suburbia in terms of a future home. To me, LS feels more small town than what I expected of a suburb, now that we live here, but that could be because we live in one of the historic preservation districts off downtown/Third Street (i.e. nicely restored vintage homes), which may be instrumental in giving it a bit more flavor. Property taxes are high for the area, but since we got a very, very good deal on our house, the tradeoff works out fine for us.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:57 AM

23 posts, read 36,713 times
Thank you for the helpful information.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM

472 posts, read 736,758 times
I think Lee's Summit is probably the most up and coming area in the metro aside from maybe far-flung areas like DeSoto or Grain Valley. I think it gives you a lot of what Johnson County can give you, but at cheaper prices.

Although that is likely to change soon. I think demand will up prices there pretty quickly.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:08 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,416,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I think Lee's Summit is probably the most up and coming area in the metro aside from maybe far-flung areas like DeSoto or Grain Valley. I think it gives you a lot of what Johnson County can give you, but at cheaper prices.

Although that is likely to change soon. I think demand will up prices there pretty quickly.
I think LS has things that JoCo doesn't (lakes, topography, vibrant downtown, amtrak, parkland, sense of community etc) while JoCo has some things LS doesn't like a more upscale retail and dining scene and far more white collar jobs.

As LS grows, that will change too and LS will offer everything JoCo does and then some. LS already has about 100,000 people, so they are well on their way. The upper bracket residents of Cass and Blue Springs already go to LS often for shopping and dining and once that greater LS market hits 150-200k (few more years), you will see things like Nordstroms, Crate and Barrel etc pop up in LS. You will also see more and more class A office space pop up to take advantage of all the white collar commuters. Of course as LS matures, it will eventually start to show the negatives like overpriced housing and traffic...

New home prices in LS are already pretty close OP, but still a tad cheaper. LS is often a lifestyle choice (walkable areas, lake communities etc) where OP is more often a convenience choice due to all the office parks and retail there.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-17-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City