Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,135,088 times

Advertisements

I'd say southern Overland Park is more like Frisco than anywhere else in the KC area.

kcmo - to me, the Northland is VERY different than Johnson County; totally different atmosphere/"climate." Maybe it's not to you, but it is to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,956,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
kcmo - to me, the Northland is VERY different than Johnson County; totally different atmosphere/"climate." Maybe it's not to you, but it is to me.
What about it is so different? Just curious.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,787,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deines-Paulson View Post
Hi Fred, Depending on the area the costs do vary greatly across the KC metro area. Do you wish to be in KS or MO? I am a realtor with Reece and Nichols Realtors in KC and a longtime resident. Some of the suburban areas of KC on the MO side I would suggest are the Raymore area on the southside and Lee's Summit. Both have the exact qualities you are looking for with the exact amenities of convienience and school quality. They are both convenient to the plaza. I live in Raymore and my wife commutes to the plaza daily with little issue.

On the Kansas side Overland Park is a nice area with great amenities. It all depends on the cost structures you are comfortable with.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you with home location either purchase or rental.

Regards,

Michael Hastings
Reece and Nichols Realtors
816-251-1433
Violation of TOS for Realtors to troll for clients on CD.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,135,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
What about it is so different? Just curious.
Don't know that it's anything I can explain, it just has an entirely different feel. I like Overland Park a lot; the Northland, not so much. It's just different.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:54 PM

476 posts, read 1,307,570 times
I've heard that people north of the river eat babies and fly on brooms. Not saying its true, just what I've heard.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Don't know that it's anything I can explain, it just has an entirely different feel. I like Overland Park a lot; the Northland, not so much. It's just different.

It is almost impossible for it to be that different. We are talking about suburbs of the same city and the tip of JoCo to the tip of the Northland is like 15 miles apart. The people are the same. The main differences are the traffic is worse in JoCo, things cost more in JoCo, and property taxes are significantly higher. Other than that, JoCo and the Northland are your typical midwestern suburbs.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM

6,777 posts, read 11,411,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That area is just Kansas City. When you get up past about 100th St on North Oak, some people will refer to it as Nashua, New Mark, or Staley Farms.

I live between Gladstone and Parkville and when people ask, I say I live in Kansas City or Kansas City North.

I personally do not like Liberty and would never live there. That place is a trap. There is really only three ways to get out of Liberty - 291, 152 or I-35. If you are trying to get in and out of Liberty during rush hour, good luck. You are going to be sitting forever.
I believe the area between 169 Hwy east to Shoal Creek is the best part of the Northland. I do not think I will live in any other area as long as I live in KC.
Thanks RJRobb (and kcmo) for the compliment on my old neighborhood(s) - I lived in Fox Hill and then Willow Park before moving in 2006. I used to refer to it as being in the "New Mark area" since New Mark is the oldest subdivision in that vicinity and most people know where you're talking about. Although nowdays it might be more "upscale" to mention Staley Farms

Here's a question on Liberty - before I moved I recall there was some discussion to build an overpass over I-35 that would go, IIRC, from Church Rd - south of Walmart, probably closer to Gary Crossley Ford, over to whatever's over on the east side. Which would alleviate the traffic on 152. Does anyone know if that's still a plan? When we get our house sold down here in OK we're headed back to KC and Liberty/Shoal Creek etc. is on our list of areas to look at.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Not that I know of. I wish they would do something. I have to go to Liberty afterwork tonight and I am dreading sitting there forever. I work 20 miles from home and will get there faster than I will get to Liberty which is only like 7 miles from my home.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Construction is to start this year. I'm pretty sure it's funded and ready to go.

Flintlock Overpass

http://www.modot.org/kansascity/majo...lternative.pdf

If that's what you are talking about.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM

6,777 posts, read 11,411,740 times
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Thank you.

RjRobb - sounds like all that widening they did on 152 over I-35 a few years ago hasn't helped much. Of course, they've probably built 1,000 new homes just west of there since it got done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City