Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times

Advertisements

I personally don't put too much stock in this stuff, but if you make this list, I'm sure you're a good high school:

http://http://www.examiner.net/topstories/x1351154479/Newsweek-names-Grain-Valley-to-list-of-nations-best-high-schools (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:01 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Your link doesn't work. Try this one http://www.examiner.net/topstories/x...t-high-schools

Quote:
When Newsweek magazine unveiled its top high schools in the United States, only three were from the Kansas City area. Lincoln College Prep and Park Hill High School were among those.

The third was Grain Valley High School.
That's great for Grain Valley. But what a disingenuous opening statement.

In reality, 10 Kansas City area schools were named. Six are in Johnson County and the other is in KCK.

But as I'm so often told, I'm sure only JoCo is to blame for the attitudes that bifurcate the metro ...

Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I'm sure GV is a good school, but I would rank all the Lee's Summit and Blue Springs high schools higher personally. They just have more to offer IMO.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Your link doesn't work. Try this one Newsweek names Grain Valley to list of nation's best high schools - Independence, MO - The Examiner

That's great for Grain Valley. But what a disingenuous opening statement.

In reality, 10 Kansas City area schools were named. Six are in Johnson County and the other is in KCK.

But as I'm so often told, I'm sure only JoCo is to blame for the attitudes that bifurcate the metro ...
Please don't blame all of MO for an Examiner article.

Examiner is a by-submission, pay-per-word, faux journalism, often-horribly-skewed, online news agency.

My guess is that Newsweek had them separated out by state, and the person who wrote this article was too big of a moron to realize it.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
10 Schools is super low.

I grew up in Milwaukee, while we have a smaller metro population 26 Area Schools in Greater Milwaukee made the list.

It's odd places like Liberty, Blue Springs or Lees Summit did not make the list.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Please don't blame all of MO for an Examiner article.

Examiner is a by-submission, pay-per-word, faux journalism, often-horribly-skewed, online news agency.

My guess is that Newsweek had them separated out by state, and the person who wrote this article was too big of a moron to realize it.
I guessed that as well. But it really doesn't make for a better case. Either the KS side was intentionally left out or omitted out of ignorance. Neither one paints a very good picture.

And no, I know it doesn't represent the views of all in MO. But it is an example of how the predisposed views and/or ignorance can go both ways.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
10 Schools is super low.

I grew up in Milwaukee, while we have a smaller metro population 26 Area Schools in Greater Milwaukee made the list.

It's odd places like Liberty, Blue Springs or Lees Summit did not make the list.
Which makes the list worthless IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I guessed that as well. But it really doesn't make for a better case. Either the KS side was intentionally left out or omitted out of ignorance. Neither one paints a very good picture.

And no, I know it doesn't represent the views of all in MO. But it is an example of how the predisposed views and/or ignorance can go both ways.
The Examiner pretty much ignores the KS side as if it didn't exist, always has been like that. Not sure why, they are just a very local paper.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
The Examiner pretty much ignores the KS side as if it didn't exist, always has been like that. Not sure why, they are just a very local paper.
Local papers tend to cater to their main block of readers.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 AM

Well, the Star caters to JoCo even though most of the metro is in MO and they are based in urban kcmo .

Old 08-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, the Star caters to JoCo even though most of the metro is in MO and they are based in urban kcmo .
Well, then I would guess that the people who run the Star know where a significant portion of their papers are being delivered to and who's reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City