U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 06:17 PM

36 posts, read 49,571 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I am seriously considering Rockhurst University in Kansas City.

It's down to Rockhurst and Loras College in Debuque, IA for me (I know, it's random).

When I visited I really liked KC and the whole city in general- especially downtown and the Plaza. I also liked the small and enclosed campus at Rockhurst.

But one thing that may dampen my prospects of going to Rockhurst is the area of town around the university. The housing on The Paseo and Troost is less than amazing and gives the area a little sketch feel to it.

Is the area around Rockhurst University safe? Or am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by JPits312; 04-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,423,316 times
It's safe. Friends daughter graduated last spring from Rockhurst and never complained.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,817,527 times
I wouldn't be "afraid" to live in that area. In fact, I think if I were young and single it would be a fun and interesting place to live.

But it's definitely more "urban" living (KC style ) and so you would want to be smart and keep your guard up a little more than if you lived in the boring burbs.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,952,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPits312 View Post
Okay, so I am seriously considering Rockhurst University in Kansas City.

It's down to Rockhurst and Loras College in Debuque, IA for me (I know, it's random).

When I visited I really liked KC and the whole city in general- especially downtown and the Plaza. I also liked the small and enclosed campus at Rockhurst.

But one thing that may dampen my prospects of going to Rockhurst is the area of town around the university. The housing on The Paseo and Troost is less than amazing and gives the area a little sketch feel to it.

Is the area around Rockhurst University safe? Or am I just being paranoid?

You are not paranoid and right to consider the decision carefully.

That said, Rockhurst is an outstanding university. The student/teacher ratio and the willingness of instructors to work with the students to maximize their learning is a rarity in University settings these days.

If it were me I would not live near Rockhurst but rather commute from a safer neighborhood. It would be a shame to miss out on the fine educational opportunity Rockhurst offers because of the neighborhood. Attend school there, just don't live there would be my advice.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:24 PM

448 posts, read 809,779 times
Hmmm, I think the area right around Rockhurst is fine and I have seen a change in that neighborhood over the past 10 years. And by the area directly around Rockhurst I mean, between Troost and Paseo and 49th to 55th. And west of Troost is UMKC, so that's Plaza/Brookside.

Now, when I say it's changed I would only suggest living there for those who are familiar with urban living. But in my opinion living west of Troost is very similar to living in the suburbs.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 PM

486 posts, read 635,465 times
Rockhurst is a good school, and there are nabes nearby that are some of the best/most interesting in the city. I wouldn't count out Rockhurst just because of the immediate neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM

36 posts, read 49,571 times
I'm leaning towards Rockhurst, but I'm just not sure!!!

The neighborhood isn't holding me back a whole lot, it's just something I've always thought about in the back of my head. And I think possibly Kansas City might be a little overwhelming for me (coming from Iowa).

Are there any former Rockhurst students who can tell me more about student life going there? Cause they don't really tell you a whole lot of that doing the standard campus tour. Are there any people who transfered out of Rockhurst on here? And if so, why?

Thanks again for all of your guys' help with this.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 AM

7,812 posts, read 9,664,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famusdarlin View Post
Hmmm, I think the area right around Rockhurst is fine and I have seen a change in that neighborhood over the past 10 years. And by the area directly around Rockhurst I mean, between Troost and Paseo and 49th to 55th. And west of Troost is UMKC, so that's Plaza/Brookside.

Now, when I say it's changed I would only suggest living there for those who are familiar with urban living. But in my opinion living west of Troost is very similar to living in the suburbs.
I'll just quote this since this is what I would have said.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:07 AM

18,098 posts, read 15,621,234 times
I wouldn't bat an eye at living around Rockhurst.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,262 times
I think the responses have been very adequate and relevant to the neighborhood. I am a graduate of RU and now live in the 49/63 Neighborhood. I too was a bit intimidated when moving back, however I must say it is now home.

My husband and I have lived here for almost 3 years. We have actually purchased properties in the area and rent to students. I do not now, nor have I ever felt threatened here. I will agree, it is an urban area, you do need to pay attention. I would always advise to leave a light on when you leave, lock your car doors and employ general street smarts. IF this advice makes you feel this is a "bad" neighborhood, then I would further advise you avoid ANY large city/urban area.

In no way should the surrounding area be a deciding factor on whether or not get a quality education the likes of Rockhurst University. Further, the rental homes around the school are always in high demand with students. Goodluck with your decision, Kansas City and Rockhurst really do have a lot to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City