U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

64 posts, read 95,359 times

Advertisements

Don't worry - I wasn't gonna blow it off, I love Starlight, too. It is a breathtaking theater. I don't plan on giving it up; for years, my aunt, cousin and I would go to their summer Broadway shows.

The concession thing is not that big of a deal to me; we'll eat before the show.

I've seen 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, Peter Pan, Beauty and the Beast and countless others there. I can't wait to see Rain perform there, either!

I agree with you - Starlight blows Sandstone out of the water!

KC has some really awesome theatre options...it'll be cool to explore some of the new things that have probably popped up since I last lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:38 PM

7,718 posts, read 9,453,536 times
As far as new things, (not sure how long it's been since you have been in KC), you MUST check out the Midland Theater. They don't have a ton of concerts, but to get some, as well as comedians etc. What an amazing theater, we saw Jerry Sienfield there last year. It's hard to believe that place was almost torn down. Right next door is the AMC Mainstreet. WOW. I SO MISS THAT PLACE! That was the only place we would go when we didn't have the kids. It's so adult oriented and the cinema suites are just amazing, love them. Also, if you ever get a chance, check out the Uptown Theater. It too is a fantastic historic theater that has been brought back to life and they host many smaller concerts and other shows.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/kcphotos/large/uptown_1979.jpg (broken link)

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/kcphotos/large/uptown_1887.jpg (broken link)

Also the RIO in OP and the Screenland in NKC. Sorry no pic of the Screeland.

And just think, in a couple of years, KC will have this:

Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 PM

805 posts, read 1,221,316 times
kcmo, do you have any pictures of old theaters such as the Isis, Granada (there were two of them simulataneously, one in KCK, the other in Independence), Linwood, Rockhill, Screening Room, Studio, Aztec, ......I could go on and on.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
kcmo, do you have any pictures of old theaters such as the Isis, Granada (there were two of them simulataneously, one in KCK, the other in Independence), Linwood, Rockhill, Screening Room, Studio, Aztec, ......I could go on and on.
No, not really. But I like this photo (Apollo on Troost).

http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/historickcphotos/websize/kcstreetcars2.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 PM

805 posts, read 1,221,316 times
I didn't know there was an Apollo Theater on Troost. Cool picture. Troost was a much different street back then; even as recently as the '60s and '70s it was a busy commercial street with lots of businesses, theaters, car dealers and restaurants.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 PM

8,683 posts, read 7,220,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
And don't forget the incident in Prairie Village where the lady was shot by police.
She was shot by police because she was suicidal nut who pulled a weapon on them.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Johnson County is just so "wealthy". Hate to tell you this, but I grew up in KCMO, near state line and we never thought of JoCo as "wealthy". Sure, Mission Hills was always great and that part of JoCo is practically a part of KCMO stuck in Kansas. The people in that area are amazingly awesome and some of the best true Kansas Citians in the metro. Mission Hills is freaking tiny compared to whats across state line on the MO side though.

But when you get past Mission Hills, it's just plain old suburbia. Nothing special, only so many people in JoCo think they are special and above the rest of the metro. Trust me, JoCo is not viewed as wealthy, it’s viewed as many other things though. JoCo people look in the mirror and “think” they are wealthy and better off than anybody else though. It is what it is. Everybody in JoCo thinks it’s “jealously”. I promise you, it is not jealously.
No matter what you "think," Johnson County is the wealthiest county in Kansas. Your opinion doesn't change that.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:09 PM

472 posts, read 785,552 times
Johnson County is the 19th wealthiest county in the nation, by median income. They are 43rd in per capita income.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:54 PM

What would JoCo be if WyCo and JoCo were merged as one? Would that change anything? No. You would still have nice areas, you would just have not so upscale area offsetting the stats. JoCo would drop not only down, but probably out of the top 100.

That's what KCMO is. It's a more diverse area.

You will find counties that are near a major metro area that are also 100% suburban and post WWII developed that will have stats similar to JoCo. There just are not that many large metropolitan counties that are developed in such a way to have only middle class, post war, very white, suburbs within their boundaries. So really, with JoCo's charateristics, I would think it would rank a lot higher than it does.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What would JoCo be if WyCo and JoCo were merged as one? Would that change anything? No. You would still have nice areas, you would just have not so upscale area offsetting the stats. JoCo would drop not only down, but probably out of the top 100.

That's what KCMO is. It's a more diverse area.

You will find counties that are near a major metro area that are also 100% suburban and post WWII developed that will have stats similar to JoCo. There just are not that many large metropolitan counties that are developed in such a way to have only middle class, post war, very white, suburbs within their boundaries. So really, with JoCo's charateristics, I would think it would rank a lot higher than it does.
There you go again. I wouldn't live in KCMO if you paid me. I don't care for the urban vibe; it's just not for me. If you like it, fine - but not everyone likes what you like. I like the suburbs - not because I'm white, not because I'm rich, not because I'm racist. I like good schools and low crime and clean streets and manicured lawns. I choose to live where those things are the norm. I assume my neighbors are here because they want the same things. Doesn't matter to me what color they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City