Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times

Advertisements

Jefferson Wells International Inc. will move its KC office to Overland Park - Kansas City Business Journal:

I'm sure this is somehow Overland Park's fault though ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Why?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I don't have enough information to really comment on this story? Do you? I don't know if any incentives were used etc. This is quite a bit different than most of stories I have talked about where JoCo and Kansas hand out millions in incentives to lure a company across state line.

Sounds like just an instance where most of the employees live in JoCo and they moved to be closer to them and since their employees are in the field often, a downtown location with parking issues and long elevator rides may not be as convenient as an office off 435 surrounded by free parking.

But I can pretty much guarantee you than some form of incentives were involved.

Last edited by kcmo; 04-26-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I don't know if any incentives were used etc. .... But I can pretty much guarantee you than some form of incentives were involved.
There's the kcmo we all know and love!

Quote:
This is quite a bit different than most of stories I have talked about where JoCo and Kansas hand out millions in incentives to lure a company across state line.
Not saying it's never happened, but your credibility on this issue is highly questionable.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Not sure what your point is, other than trying to justify decades of JoCo taking businesses from MO with this little story of I guess an innocent move to get out of KCMO for the greener pastures of JoCo?. I'm still waiting for JoCo to figure out a way to grow without simply taking things from MO.

Hope they figure it out pretty fast since they have 2 MILLION sq ft of office space in the sprint campus alone that needs to be filled and sprint will cut everybody's throat (even other joco office buildings) to fill it back up with subleases and Kansas and OP will be right there to help them.

I'm pretty sure they won't fill it with new jobs from Denver or Dallas though. So look for more blockbuster KCMO to JOCO moves to hit the press soon that will be laced with incentives and will hurt not only KCMO, but the metro area in the long run.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they won't fill it with new jobs from Denver or Dallas though. So look for more blockbuster KCMO to JOCO moves to hit the press soon that will be laced with incentives and will hurt not only KCMO, but the metro area in the long run.
Um ... still waiting for ANY evidence of incentives in this move. But you have already characterized it as such.

That was my point and you made it beautifully for me: That some people will make the leap, even when none exists and then use it to justify their continued disdain.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 PM

I never said there were, I said there probably were because most of the time that is the case.

You never answered my question either though. When does JoCo stop using KCMO as their primary source for economic development? I mean, come on, 30-40 years of filling JoCo office parks with KCMO companies and the county still can't sort of go off and do its own thing?

Oh, I forget, this keeps these jobs in metro KC. Otherwise the KC office of Jefferson Wells would have moved to Tulsa or Chicago. We have JoCo to "thank" for keeping these jobs in KC!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I never said there were, I said there probably were because most of the time that is the case.
Oh ... well in that case ...

What a crack up.

Quote:
You never answered my question either though. When does JoCo stop using KCMO as their primary source for economic development? I mean, come on, 30-40 years of filling JoCo office parks with KCMO companies and the county still can't sort of go off and do its own thing?
Where exactly is JoCo supposed to "go off" to? And what should the response be when a company decides to relocate there of their own free will and decision? Tell them no?

JoCo has a lot of cheap office space for lease right now. No incentives are needed. It's simple math. I won't be at all surprised to see more of this in the coming few years.

If KCMO wants to keep more of the pie, they better get a clue and fast.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM

You are the one that posted this. I saw it before you posted it and thought nothing of it. But I see you have something to gain by posting that 20 jobs moved to JoCo without incentives (if that is the case).

That's great! Totally makes up for the 1000's of jobs that have moved there with incentives I suppose.

My point is that it's easy to take jobs from KCMO. Very easy. Be it with aggressive incentives and luring or simply welcoming those that have already make the decision. And yes, I will get easier as the county has millions of sq ft of office space to fill, including half the sprint campus, which was built with tax breaks.

Wake me up when wonderful Johnson County is actually competing with the Silicon Valleys, Planos and Research Triangles of the country rather than simply getting everything from KCMO and calling themselves a success story.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Wake me up when wonderful Johnson County is actually competing with the Silicon Valleys, Planos and Research Triangles of the country rather than simply getting everything from KCMO and calling themselves a success story.
You missed the point you made earlier.

In one thread you lament how JoCo people make unfair assumptions about KCMO. Like when a crime happens at Oak Park Mall, it's unfair to assume it was "thugs from KCMO".

But then you do the exact same sort of thing! Your first reaction to this started out reasonable (initially you thought nothing of it) and then by the end of your first post you suddenly concluded that JoCo had acted to undermine KC. You can "pretty much guarantee" it.

People making unfair assumptions about the "other side" are the problem. And you are as much a part of the problem as anyone in JoCo.

The point of the thread was to let you show this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City