Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

BTW, Fox KC (my favorite kc station) and fox DC (my favorite DC station) are freaking EXACTLY the same, right down to the graphics, commercials, websites, voices they use etc. The only difference is the news anchors and skyline backdrop. Very weird, but nice at the same time.

Also, all the KC stations have choppers and use them frequently (especially 4 and 9) and of all the stations in DC and Baltimore, few have choppers and those that do, rarely use them. I find that odd too, being a bigger market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
BTW, Fox KC (my favorite kc station) and fox DC (my favorite DC station) are freaking EXACTLY the same, right down to the graphics, commercials, websites, voices they use etc. The only difference is the news anchors and skyline backdrop. Very weird, but nice at the same time.
Yea, I've noticed that many news stations across the nation share the same graphics, theme music and/or logos in different markets. I don't know if its because they're owned by the same parent company or if there is just a few companies that design graphics and write music for these news stations.

I would imagine KC has more choppers because they cover such a wide geographic area, and its quicker to get to Bumbleweed, MO faster by chopper. And tornadoes are a big deal, and choppers provide a cool shot.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:26 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
trust me, you didn't have to tell me that, I figured as much
Didn't know that liking Johnson County meant I would like KCTV5, but that just goes to show you stereotypical you are. Heck, Katie Horner lives in one of those nice Missouri suburbs you are always touting, not Johnson County.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM

Well, the KC stations seem like larger market stations.

They make the Baltimore stations look like Tulsa or Wichita and are on par with DC. Just more sophisticated.

Maybe they have choppers for that reason, but they are always up for local stories. They just don't use them out here and the ones they use are charters or smaller birds, not near as nice as the KC choppers. (I'm sort of a chopper guy).

They don't even use them for traffic reporting etc. Might have something to do with all the air restrictions, but I would think that the press would be able to get waivers, but who knows.

Most towns have a lot of news choppers, it's just the DC area doesn't.

I also miss the KC Scout, so comprehensive and state of the art compared to what is in DC and Balt, yet this area needs a good ITS system far more than KC does.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Didn't know that liking Johnson County meant I would like KCTV5, but that just goes to show you stereotypical you are. Heck, Katie Horner lives in one of those nice Missouri suburbs you are always touting, not Johnson County.
Well, you don't have to live in JoCo to like KCTV5, but you fit the demographic they seem to go after. That's all I will say.

KCTV5 is also based in Kansas and seems to really get into KU sports more than the other stations too (they carry most KU games don't they?), so I'm sure that combined with the demographic thing I mentioned makes JoCo a huge part of their market.

But everybody knows what the target audience of KCTV5 is (maybe that's changing, I don't know).

I still say it's a "shock" news station. All local news stations are guilty of that to some degree, but KCTV takes it do a new and sad level.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
Fox 4 doesn't have a helicopter anymore (budget cuts). All stations buy a certain number of flying hours year for their helicopters, and they will use them all.

Fox 4 and Fox 5 (in D.C.) were both owned by FOX itself, which is why they look the same. Fox 4 is now owned by a private equity firm and will look different when it goes HD later in 2010.

All the KC stations go heavily after Jackson and Johnson County viewers because most of the ratings meters are in those two counties (and it's less travel).

I haven't seen a Baltimore newscast in a long time, but stations like WJZ and WMAR were terrible years ago, and they're probably terrible today.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 PM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Quote:
Well, you don't have to live in JoCo to like KCTV5, but you fit the demographic they seem to go after. That's all I will say.

KCTV5 is also based in Kansas and seems to really get into KU sports more than the other stations too (they carry most KU games don't they?), so I'm sure that combined with the demographic thing I mentioned makes JoCo a huge part of their market.

But everybody knows what the target audience of KCTV5 is (maybe that's changing, I don't know).

I still say it's a "shock" news station. All local news stations are guilty of that to some degree, but KCTV takes it do a new and sad level.
Most KU games are covered by KMCI (38 the Spot) which is owned by KSHB.

I can't seriously believe people care about how many helicopters a news station uses.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM

I don't care. It was just an observation.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM

210 posts, read 428,319 times
The new sports guy at KCTV is just atrocious. I honestly don't know why they even bothered bringing back a sports guy. Metro Sports did a pretty good job.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:35 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:

Really? I don't know what the target audience of KCTV5 is. I figured all of Kansas City and surrounding areas, but what do I know? I hadn't noticed them really getting into KU sports. I know there is one girl there (blonde, can't remember her name, who is a KU alum, and from what I remember there was at least one who was a Mizzou alum and another who was from Oklahoma or Nebraska or something like that. I never saw it as being a "KU" station at all. But once you get a stereotype in your head about me, KCTV5, Johnson County, or whatever, you refuse to let go of it, so no matter what I say you are going to believe your KCTV5 stereotype just like your stereotype of me, Samantha, Johnson County, etc. etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City