Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:22 PM

822 posts, read 2,035,607 times

Advertisements

Don't give up on your thread over in the KCMO forum, either.

You're always a cheap plane ticket away from a visit to Decatur, and vice versa for the people who live there and can come visit you.

The winter driving is rarely bad but if you located somewhere close to a bus route, you can just ride the bus to work. If I had the option, I'd ride it to work every day and save the parking fees and wear and tear on your car.

Don't worry about being an African American professional in KC. There are societies you can join. My company's lawyer just got named a rising star by one of them. My company goes to extra lengths to make sure it's A-A professionals are well-received and appreciated. You'll network at work and through these societies if you wish.

In short, cutting the strings and leaving "home" will not be easy but there are a lot of people here who will do everything they can to help you with the transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
I didn’t mean to send the wrong message with that post. I am not saying kc people are racist or anything. I was only bringing up the fact that there is a difference between KC and Atlanta. Atlanta is one of a handful of cities that a lot of professional blacks migrate too and strive to relocate to, while KC is one of the more segregated Midwestern cities.

If you are a motivated and successful A-A, you will thrive in KC just as well as any city, if not more so.

Leaving home is tough.

Look at me. I’m still posting like I live in KC.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:08 AM

62 posts, read 141,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Roeland Park/Mission are nice, but I think you will like Prairie Village a little better. Maybe not though, definitely check out both as well as other options. The nice thing about renting is that you won't be tied too long to an area if you decide you like another part of town better.

JoCo in general is nice and safe.

There are only a few places where you cross an actual bridge to get into MO. If you live in JoCo, you probably won't even know you have crossed unless you see the sign on I35 or cross State Line Road or whatever.

Highly traveled roads don't accumulate ice. They treat the roads and with the heavy traffic, it can't accumulate.

If there is not much traffic on a bridge and you think it might be icy, then yes, you should slow down and "coast" over it. But good grief, Girl! You are worrying WAY too much about the ice and snow.

The only time it's really a problem is if there is a big storm and sometimes snow accumulates faster than the plows can move it off, so I will avoid the highways for a day or so. Within 12-24 hours of a storm, the main roads will be clear. In JoCo, this includes the residential areas, even the quiet street in front of my house was clear ALL winter, and we had an unusual amount of snow this year. If you have to drive on a little bit of snow here or there, you just slow down a little. It's really not a big deal. You will be used to it in no time.

Sorry I tend to overanalyze...that's just my nature. Well it is nice to know that the roads are kept up. It does make me feel a bit better. I'm sure JoCo will be my choice and since I'll need to get my tag and DL switched over, where are these places? I hear you don't have to pay all of those high priced tag taxes or get your car inspected every year in Kansas? NICE!!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Sounds pretty normal to me to be apprehensive. It's a big move!

I think you are doing the right thing by asking lots of questions. But that's all you can do: Prepare as best you can. After that, you have to trust yourself and your own judgment and decision making.

If the best happens, you will love it in KC, build your life just the way you want it to be and everything will be great!

If the worst happens and you decide to move back, then at least you will know for sure, you will have tried your best and taken a leap. You will be stronger for it and you will have that adventure to look back on and be able to acknowledge all that you learned from it.

Chances are, there might be a little bit of both in there. Some great things and some learning experiences. Ultimately, Life is what you decide to make it.

Can't lose, IMO

Oh! ... and send me a message when you get here! I'll meet ya for a margarita!
I'm holding ya to the margarita thing. I loooove margaritas and always love to go to Mexican restaurants and get em. It's where I practice my Spanish. Any caliente Latin dudes out that way? LOL J/K!

What about churches? Any multiracial churches out that way you can recommend or churches that are receptive to minorities?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I didn’t mean to send the wrong message with that post. I am not saying kc people are racist or anything. I was only bringing up the fact that there is a difference between KC and Atlanta. Atlanta is one of a handful of cities that a lot of professional blacks migrate too and strive to relocate to, while KC is one of the more segregated Midwestern cities.

If you are a motivated and successful A-A, you will thrive in KC just as well as any city, if not more so.

Leaving home is tough.

Look at me. I’m still posting like I live in KC.
Phew...you had me scared there partner. I really was thinking Kansas city was racist. Why is it so segregated anyway? I mean it's 2010 not 1910. What's the deal? I'm a federal government worker by the way and I have my Masters degree. Sounds like you're saying that the blacks there really don't put an emphasis on education? You could say that about blacks here, particularly the black males. I think that's a widespread issue in the black community. There are 10X's more professional, educated black women than men. About Atlanta....I've been here all my life and I'm really sick of it. It's gotten to crowded and way too much traffic. It's a nice place for sure but good grief! I'm a little more slower paced and I find I can't keep up here. And contrary to the popular belief, the opportunities have dwindled tremendously. You pratically have to get out if you want to advance your career in my opinion. And I'm curious, what issues are you speaking about? Is there a lot of racism in Kansas/Missouri? I assume that's what you meant right? Is it, I don't want them in my neighborhood kinda thing or what? I checked out the Southern Poverty Law's hate crime map and there are like 30 something hate groups in Missouri but on that same note, GA has slightly more hate groups. Kansas had a few I think but not in the 30's. I would like you to elaborate more if you will. I don't get offended easliy unless I'm called the N word. I'm hear to learn so teach please. And how are you liking it in DC? Now that's a place I could NEVER live! LOL!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
LOL. Best of luck with your move here. I moved 10 years ago from Chicago and LOVE it here. I grew up in a town of 5k so it's a wonderful mix of urban and things to do and suburban at the same time.

Check out shawnee mission and lenexa, you are within 20min of downtown and they are very safe and suburban although earlier advice migth suit you too.

Best of luck.

Gracias Senor!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Don't give up on your thread over in the KCMO forum, either.

You're always a cheap plane ticket away from a visit to Decatur, and vice versa for the people who live there and can come visit you.

The winter driving is rarely bad but if you located somewhere close to a bus route, you can just ride the bus to work. If I had the option, I'd ride it to work every day and save the parking fees and wear and tear on your car.

Don't worry about being an African American professional in KC. There are societies you can join. My company's lawyer just got named a rising star by one of them. My company goes to extra lengths to make sure it's A-A professionals are well-received and appreciated. You'll network at work and through these societies if you wish.

In short, cutting the strings and leaving "home" will not be easy but there are a lot of people here who will do everything they can to help you with the transition.
Thanks for the advice. I'm really hoping I love it there...just got to get over the jitters. They don't seem to ease up at all. They get worse and worse. I guess it's just a fear of the unknown or something. And you're right, there's nothing like being a 2 hour flight away from home. Not bad at all. Okay so are you up for teaching me how to do some winter driving? J/K! I do have a question for you....roundabouts. Yes..that's it. I had never heard of them and Kansas has them. Are they easy to maneuver through? They look kinda dangerous and confusing. Seems like Europe has a lot of them according to my research.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 AM

12,885 posts, read 13,556,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady300 View Post
Phew...you had me scared there partner. I really was thinking Kansas city was racist. Why is it so segregated anyway? I mean it's 2010 not 1910. What's the deal? I'm a federal government worker by the way and I have my Masters degree. Sounds like you're saying that the blacks there really don't put an emphasis on education? You could say that about blacks here, particularly the black males. I think that's a widespread issue in the black community. There are 10X's more professional, educated black women than men. About Atlanta....I've been here all my life and I'm really sick of it. It's gotten to crowded and way too much traffic. It's a nice place for sure but good grief! I'm a little more slower paced and I find I can't keep up here. And contrary to the popular belief, the opportunities have dwindled tremendously. You practically have to get out if you want to advance your career in my opinion. And I'm curious, what issues are you speaking about? Is there a lot of racism in Kansas/Missouri? I assume that's what you meant right? Is it, I don't want them in my neighborhood kinda thing or what? I checked out the Southern Poverty Law's hate crime map and there are like 30 something hate groups in Missouri but on that same note, GA has slightly more hate groups. Kansas had a few I think but not in the 30's. I would like you to elaborate more if you will. I don't get offended easliy unless I'm called the N word. I'm hear to learn so teach please. And how are you liking it in DC? Now that's a place I could NEVER live! LOL!
I wouldn't call Kansas City segregated; per se, The history on both sides of the river goes back to the way people settled there in enclaves based on ethnicity, family ,ties to certain trades and professions. One side of my family goes back five generations and both of My grandfathers bought cars in the depression era which speaks to a historically upwardly mobile African American population in the 20-30's. When I was younger I was told that KCK once had one of the highest percentages of African American home ownership in the country. During "red summer" race riots broke out all over the country. In KCMO they were sparked by whites who felt African Americans had gained too much wealth. KC may have lost its once glorious past with regard to African American history but if you look close you still find some remnants tucked away in some of those black neighborhoods. One of the most significant labor and civil rights strikes that took place in the country was KC "Sleeping Car Porters Strike" in the 20's. Some of my next door Neighbors were these men they were generally the most educated men in the community (Black or White)

IMO what looks like segregation is a historic African American population who still lives where they first helped to settle the area. The Quindaro Bluff area was settled by people who came there in part to teach and attend what was the first college for African Americans west of the Mississippi. Hispanic people came to help lay the Sante Fe RR and work at Argentine Steel. So the Argentine township is still largely Hispanic.

I think as the area transitioned from Industrial to business it attracted the newer populations who all settled south of the levy. I seem to remember Kansas City once being noted for the most popular place for home offices.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 05-22-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 08:29 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,478,279 times
Quote:
Sorry I tend to overanalyze...that's just my nature. Well it is nice to know that the roads are kept up. It does make me feel a bit better. I'm sure JoCo will be my choice and since I'll need to get my tag and DL switched over, where are these places? I hear you don't have to pay all of those high priced tag taxes or get your car inspected every year in Kansas? NICE!!
Well, KS does make you pay a tag fee and property taxes on your car. But you will have plenty of time to do that. 30 days to get your license switched over (I think) and you can leave your GA tags on your car until they expire if you want to. Then you will get a prorated tag in KS that will expire based on the first letter of your last name.

Quote:
I'm holding ya to the margarita thing. I loooove margaritas and always love to go to Mexican restaurants and get em. It's where I practice my Spanish. Any caliente Latin dudes out that way? LOL J/K!

What about churches? Any multiracial churches out that way you can recommend or churches that are receptive to minorities?

Thanks
Good! Me too! KC is known for it's BBQ, but in my opinion doesn't get nearly the credit it should for it's Mexican restaurants. And I suppose you could twist my arm into checking out caliente Latin dudes.

What religion are you? One think KC does have a lot of is churches. Pretty much any and every denomination and mix of people.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:15 PM

822 posts, read 2,035,607 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm really hoping I love it there...just got to get over the jitters. They don't seem to ease up at all. They get worse and worse. I guess it's just a fear of the unknown or something. And you're right, there's nothing like being a 2 hour flight away from home. Not bad at all. Okay so are you up for teaching me how to do some winter driving? J/K! I do have a question for you....roundabouts. Yes..that's it. I had never heard of them and Kansas has them. Are they easy to maneuver through? They look kinda dangerous and confusing. Seems like Europe has a lot of them according to my research.
There aren't all that many roundabouts in Kansas....yet. They seem to be catching on, though. I'm not sure I completely understand them. They are basically a two-lane ring with exits and entrances. You just wait until you can safely enter (even if that means stopping), then drive counterclockwise with the traffic until the exit you want to take shows up. I'm not sure why there is an inner lane.

Maybe Wikipedia can explain it better:
Roundabout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City