Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I dont think you should be able to convict someone of murder without a body unless you have video of them actually committing the act. This is doubtful but there is always the possibility that she took off.
Are you kidding? I can think of a million scenarios where circumstantial evidence could prove beyond reasonable doubt that a murder took place and that the accused was the perpetrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 03:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
I think they can get DNA from ashes though. I'm not completely sure.
An exactly how could you isolate those specific ashes after a year and a half and lots and lots of incinerated parts since the murder happened? I'm sure the ashes are disposed of periodically too.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Groan.....I give up.

How about them Royals?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Are you kidding? I can think of a million scenarios where circumstantial evidence could prove beyond reasonable doubt that a murder took place and that the accused was the perpetrator.
I am one of those people where the only way you could prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt that someone did something is if I saw them do it.

A prosecutor would never want me as a juror because unless I saw someone do something, I would always have reasonable doubt that they actually did it.

Unless there is a body, there is no way anyone can 100% know that someone was murdered unless there is video of it taking place.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
Quote:
I am one of those people where the only way you could prove to me beyond a reasonable doubt that someone did something is if I saw them do it.

A prosecutor would never want me as a juror because unless I saw someone do something, I would always have reasonable doubt that they actually did it.

Unless there is a body, there is no way anyone can 100% know that someone was murdered unless there is video of it taking place.
You were on the OJ jury, weren't you.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:27 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
You were on the OJ jury, weren't you.
I think what Robb is saying is determining guilt or non-guilt is a serious matter. Any responsible juror would feel the same.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:35 AM

476 posts, read 1,315,553 times
I understand, but "beyond a reasonable doubt" does not mean "100% certainty" and was never meant to. I think every juror needs to take their responsibilities seriously and examine the evidence, but if we had "100% certainty" as our threshold, we would never convict anyone.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
I understand, but "beyond a reasonable doubt" does not mean "100% certainty" and was never meant to. I think every juror needs to take their responsibilities seriously and examine the evidence, but if we had "100% certainty" as our threshold, we would never convict anyone.

To me, anything less than 100% certainty is reasonable doubt. Any doubt is reasonable doubt in my book.

The term reasonable doubt is open to interpretation.

It is better that a guilty man go free than an innocent man go to prison.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:13 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
To me, anything less than 100% certainty is reasonable doubt. Any doubt is reasonable doubt in my book.

The term reasonable doubt is open to interpretation.

It is better that a guilty man go free than an innocent man go to prison.
So when your daughter has been in a volatile relationship with a guy for months, has unexplained bruises on several occasions and one day her car is found abandoned with her blood at the scene and when they search her boyfriend's home, they find one of his shirts and a pair of his pants soaked with her blood stuffed in the trash bin. But they never find her body. And nobody actually saw him do it.

You gonna let him walk?

Jus' checkin'

Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
So when your daughter has been in a volatile relationship with a guy for months, has unexplained bruises on several occasions
See those words in bold? That will never happen. After one bruise, he has already had a meeting with my 9 millimeter and will never be seen again.

My cousin was murdered by her abusive boyfriend 4 years ago; I learned my lesson. No women that is either my family or my friend will ever be in that kind of relationship again.

If it did happen, the police will not be involved and there would be no trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City