Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you were cards fans, yea, it will be probably half and half. Most cards fans that go to those games are from the KC area. You will enjoy it. Def hit batting practice so you can see the cards bat.

I think they do put names up there, but you have to call them or something. You would also have to really watch for it because they would probably throw the names up fast between innings or something.

Be sure and stay for fireworks, even the friday shows are pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:41 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,727 times
My soon to be 8 year old is in love with water. I would take her to Crown Center to run through the fountains. I looked to see if they are having Friday night flicks, but it looks like they don't start until July.

I'm not sure about the hours of CoCo Keys, but you might check to see if that would be an option for after the game.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 69,648 times
I did some checking....$50 to have it flashed on a digital banner in the outfield. I can do way cooler things with $50.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fenton View Post
I did some checking....$50 to have it flashed on a digital banner in the outfield. I can do way cooler things with $50.
Who in the hell would pay $50 for that?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:48 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Who in the hell would pay $50 for that?
some crazy person with lots of money to throw away. They must be paying it or they would not charge it.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful advice! We got there early, did all the pregame stuff. And can you believe the Royals won!?! I was soooooooooo mad! The birthday boy was more than pleased though. That darned Greinke kid. Hope you all enjoy watching him play for a better team here in a few years. He's too good to be playing for KC! Oh-we ended up going for breakfast after the game and went back to KC the next day to see an IMAX 3D movie and we hit up Crown Center afterward. He loved it - so once again - THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 AM

Awesome, glad you had fun!

Go Royals!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fenton View Post
Hope you all enjoy watching him play for a better team here in a few years. He's too good to be playing for KC!

That's exactly the kind of attitude that has ruined baseball. For some reason, anyone with talent cant play for small market teams.

Luckily for the Royals, Greinke has issues with social anxiety and has no desire to play for a big team like the Yankees or Red Sox where he would be the center of attention all the time.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's exactly the kind of attitude that has ruined baseball. For some reason, anyone with talent cant play for small market teams.

Luckily for the Royals, Greinke has issues with social anxiety and has no desire to play for a big team like the Yankees or Red Sox where he would be the center of attention all the time.
Yea, but being a "small market" has become more of an excuse for losing. There are teams out there that have higher payrolls that can't produce and lower payrolls that make the playoffs. Sure, it has a lot to do with it, but to be as bad as the Royals are for as long as they have been bad takes more than just being a small market.

As far as St Louis...

KC payroll 71.5 million 21st largest payroll
population 2.1 million 29th largest metro

StL payroll 93.5 million 12th largest payroll
population 2.9 million 18th largest metro

KC is definitely a small market when it comes to MLB economics, but StL could easily become one.

The only reason it's not is due to rabid fan support which can be heavily attributed to success on the field. While KC has not had superstars since the George Brett to Bo Jackson era and has not made the playoffs since 1985, Superstars like Mark McGwire and Albert Pujols, have followed Ozzie Smith. The Cards have been to three world series since 1985 and made the playoffs 12 times.

If you were to swap these two teams records since 1985 with the cards having nothing more than multiple 100 loss seasons, do you really think they would still average 38k a game and be a big market team? I personally don't think any market could sustain fan support for such a long period of terrible teams, not even StL.

So once again, for KC to average 20k a game is remarkable and frustrating at the same time and if luck ever runs out in StL and they don't have the stars and the wins after a decade or two of terrible baseball, why would it not become another Pittsburgh?

Back when the Royals were a respected team, they drew very well. Sellouts were frequent and weekend games were very difficult to get tickets to. KC had 2/3 the population it does today and drew more fans from a wider geographic area. KC's payroll was near the top of MLB all the way till Kauffman passed. Actually, Kauffman is one of the owners that started the crazy payroll increases in the mid 90's when he tried to buy a title (and failed miserably).

Sorry, as a Royals fan, I get tired of KC being labeled as a terrible baseball town. KC is a great baseball town with a terrible team.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Really I think that's the kind of attitude that makes baseball what it is for the fans! My son and I trash talked eachothers teams throughout that entire game and had the most wonderful time! People around us in both blue and red were making jabs and insults right along with us. Drunken frat boys were high fiving my son and got him to yell "booyah" in me and dad's face everytime the Royals would score a run. Which was, what, like six times, seven times in that game. It was ridiculous! Everyone was smiling. Everyone was laughing. What's baseball without a little trash talk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City