Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:27 PM

17 posts, read 69,188 times

Advertisements

So check this out, my son is turning eight on Sat. June 26th. We are going to surprise him by taking him to a Royals game. He won't have a clue until we pull in the parking lot (it's pretty much gonna flip his world-in a good way). We thought it might be a cool idea to let him stay up past midnight since the game is on Friday and his birthday is actually on Saturday. Any cool stuff you can take an eight year old to do after the game? Cool stuff that lights up, fountains, street concerts, that kind of thing. He's really musically inclined so music is always good. Occasionally when we're in Wichita we'll go to a movie in the old town district and find a sidewalk bench to sit on afterward because there's always a jazz trio playing on some random outdoor patio. He digs stuff like that. Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,382 times
18th and vine jazz district, KCMO... or the plaza

Old 06-07-2010, 11:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,693,095 times
Well, you will be limited at 10pm to midnight with an eight year old, I mean there may be a concert at the Power and Light district but I wouldn't bring him there .

I would sudgest taking him to the Skies restaurant in downtown KCMO. After the game, just drive downtown and park for free in the crown center parking garage at Pershing and McGee. Walk across the pedestrian walkway to the Hyatt and go up to Skies. Skies is a revolving restaurant 45 floors up. Sit in the lounge and just take in the city, order some cokes or something. It's something kids enjoy too, being so high up and the city rotates around you.

Another thing you could do is head out east to Lee's Summit and go to Paradise Park to play mini-golf, ride go-carts, bumper boats, arcade etc, they stay open late. Paradise Park is about 15 minutes away. Cool Crest (which still has the best mini-golf in all of metro kc, as well as gocarts) is near the stadiums and would be fine too.

http://www.paradise-park.com/

http://www.coolcrest.com/

http://www.skieskc.com/

This thread should be moved to the KC forum .

Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM

You know, I looked for a KC thread but now that I think of it I didn't even look under Mossouri. I'm a Kansan. Kansas City, MO doesn't always register in my brain. Good tips though. I really like the Skies idea. That sounds like something he'd like. We're trying to have a unique chain of events set up for him. Something different than the ol presents and cake gig. Thank you for all the great tips! This is going to be awesome!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 AM

Is this his first MLB game? One thing you should do is get to the stadium early and watch batting practice from the outfield and try to catch some home run balls. Kids love that. If you have not been to Kauffman since the renovations, you have to go through the hall of fame and go out to the outfield and take in what's out there. They even have live bands typically on weekend games out there.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM

I haven't been to a game since I was a child but Rivers has been to a few with his aunt. I don't think he's been since the renovation though. How early should we show up?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,117,142 times
Worlds of Fun might be open till midnight on Saturday night. Not sure how long it would take you to get there from the stadium, though, especially with traffic from the game. But he'd love it! I thought they (Worlds of Fun) used to have a deal where if you got there late on one day you got a free pass for the next day, but don't quote me on that.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_fenton View Post
I haven't been to a game since I was a child but Rivers has been to a few with his aunt. I don't think he's been since the renovation though. How early should we show up?
Gates open 1.5 hours before the game. Get there and you can watch batting practice, then after that you can walk around the stadium, go to the hall of fame etc before the game starts.

I just checked and you chose the one and only game I try to avoid. The saturday night game against the cards. It will be 60-70% Cards fans that night so you will not really experience a true "Royals" game as most KC fans stay away and Cards fans fill the house.

There will be a ton of people there watching the Cards batting practice too (you tend to only see the visiting team's batting practice).

It will still be fun though.

BTW, Worlds of Fun is great idea if you had more time. They do have cheaper tickets after 4 or 5, but I wouldn't go after the game, you would probably only get on one ride and it would still cost $25 a person to get in. Go there on Sunday!

If you are in town on Sunday, go to the Negro League Baseball Museum and the American Jazz Museum. Your son would love that. He would also love the College Basketball Experience.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 AM

543 posts, read 2,299,725 times
Make sure while walking around the ball park to take him to the "Little K". Our grandson loves it when we take him.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM

We're going to the Friday night game - but I'm sure it will be packed too! We're actually the Cardinals fans! I made a sign that says "Happy Birthday Rivers...I hope my next child is a Cardinals fan!" Sports rivalry already runs deep in this house! I think I want to call the stadium to see if we can get him up on the screen for his birthday....do you know if they do anything like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City