U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,611,239 times
^I was going to mention Eureka Springs. It's about an hour the other side of Branson in Arkansas for those who don't know. It would fit the criteria quite nicely.

Omaha and Des Moines would also be interesting for a quick weekend getaway and there isn't so much to do you'll feel like you left something out.

St. Louis is okay. I'm with Luzianne on this one mostly though. There's just something about it that's just blah. And yes, it has very large swaths of gritty, dirty ghetto. More so than KC. West county is just suburbia and downtown is neat to take in once or twice, and there's the arch.
Someone mentioned the Cardinals. Unless you're a Cardinals fan or bigger than average baseball nut, it's just another place to see baseball. Of course, they've had more success in recent years, so the fans pay more attention to their team and to what's going on. That's a plus.

Yes, t'would be nice if Minneapolis or Chicago were a smidgen closer for those big city type of getaways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 15,613 times
Thanks to everyone. We've been to Des Moines and Omaha...liked them both. never been to STL. Eureka Springs sounds WONDERFUL. I have heard mixed reviews about STL, but would like to see for myself someday. Right now I am thinking Omaha or Eureka Springs...we'll see what hubby says!!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM

34 posts, read 26,621 times
I have lived in kc and STL. St Louis has some very vibrant city neighborhoods. Central west end is very cool (tons of bars, restaurants, shops)...there is nothing like it in kc, and it is right by forest park which is one of the largest urban parks in the country. The zoo, history museum are in the park as well. The Delmar loop in ucity is a cool area as well. Or go to the italian neighborhood called the hill for some great Italian food. Downtown STL is like downtown kc... Not a ton going on but some good spots to checkout. Wash ave downtown is cool, but it's the city neighborhoods that makes st louis. The posters ripping on STL probably didn't check out those spots. Some other attractions...botantical gardens in the tower grove neighborhood and city museum downtown.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:33 PM

400 posts, read 500,795 times
Do people in KC look down on Wichita so much they didn't think it was worthy to be mentioned as a getaway destination? People recommended Des Moines and Omaha, but not Wichita. There is just as much to do in Wichita as Des Moines. Book a room at the Broadview Hotel. Go to Old Town, Exploration Place, the Riverwalk, Riverside Park, Lawrence-Dumont Stadium, Orpheum Theatre, Wichita Art Museum, Cowtown, All-Indian Museum, Intrust Bank Arena. That's just the downtown area.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM

7,218 posts, read 8,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Do people in KC look down on Wichita so much they didn't think it was worthy to be mentioned as a getaway destination? People recommended Des Moines and Omaha, but not Wichita. There is just as much to do in Wichita as Des Moines. Book a room at the Broadview Hotel. Go to Old Town, Exploration Place, the Riverwalk, Riverside Park, Lawrence-Dumont Stadium, Orpheum Theatre, Wichita Art Museum, Cowtown, All-Indian Museum, Intrust Bank Arena. That's just the downtown area.
There is more to do in Omaha or Des Moines than Wichita IMO. But Wichita is definitely a good idea. Exploration Place is nice. If you go to Wichita, then may as well make the extra hours drive to the Cosmosphere & Space Center in Hutch.

Never been to St Louis? St Louis is one of the best cities in the nation to spend a few days in. They have so much to see and do there. We would go there at least twice a year.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:05 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,031,787 times
Another Vote for St Louis. You could actually take the Amtrak as well. Other cool areas in St Louis include the Soulard area and the Soulard Market which blows the City Market out of the water. Its very historic. Also the Lafeyette Square park has these very cool French Influenced Style Homes, very cool little shopping area in Lafeyette Square park area as well.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 6 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,647,374 times
I would be inclined to do a mini road trip of sorts hitting some smaller quaint places. It doesn't take long to tap out the major cities in this part of of the Midwest. From KCMO I would do; Arrow Rock, Hannibal, Keokuk,Quincy and find some thing along a northern route back. Just stopping and eating shopping and sight seeing along the river. Arrow rock is a historic site and has a neat gift shop and little place that I had a nice lunch in once. I think they had live music on the sight. You could consult the Missouri tourism online for specifics in each stop. this time a year every body's got some event taking place every weekend. This way instead of driving four hours and stopping ,you could drive an hour at a time.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:46 PM

448 posts, read 734,458 times
Man, after the posts I think the hubby and I need to take a weekend road trip to STL. I've been many times, but there's lots of new things going on

Old 07-26-2010, 04:25 PM

7,218 posts, read 8,420,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Soulard Market which blows the City Market out of the water. Its very historic. Also the Lafeyette Square park has these very cool French Influenced Style Homes, very cool little shopping area in Lafeyette Square park area as well.
Blows city market out of the water? I like StL, but come on.

Lafeyette Square is neat, but it's not really a destination.

StL has some great areas though. CWE, (I find the loop overrated by the locals a bit), but I like the CWE and the Hill area. Soulard is ok, but again, not really a destination unless going to a festival or something. Just a great urban neighborhood with a few good restaurants and sandwich shops.

Do you really consider Westport an entertainment district? I would equate that to Zona Rosa or the Legends in KC. It's suburban.

St Louis is a fun city to explore and I like it in many ways better than KC, but lets not get too crazy with the exaggerations when comparing it to KC. .

Lafeyette Square

Delmar Loop

Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,981,126 times
I have to second that Eureka Spring suggestion, very charming and beautiful. STL is another great trip, lots of fun neighborhoods, etc. I also would think of going to the Lake of the Ozarks, beautiful scenery, shopping at the outlet mall, winery, some good restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City