Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 10:01 AM

398 posts, read 993,312 times

Advertisements

Link: Techies reject coasts for 'Silicon Prairie' - CNN.com

Snippets:

Quote:
Wichita, Kansas (CNN) -- At a table in Caffe Moderne, a coffee bar in downtown Wichita, sat a couple of young Kansans sipping coffee and working away on Macbook Pros. Terms like "content management systems" and "web integration" floated in the air as Clint Brauer taught a local about his business.

Thirteen years ago, Brauer couldn't wait to get out of the Sunflower State. "I just didn't see the opportunities in Kansas," he said. "I grew up in a small town outside of Wichita, went to Kansas State ... and so I moved to the West Coast to get into high tech."

Brauer traveled from the prairie to the Hollywood Hills and spent his 20s living the kind of life he'd fantasized about while growing up in the small town of Haven.
Quote:
"I started realizing that while I loved what I did, I wanted more balance. My goal wasn't to become the CEO of a Fortune 500 company anymore but to have a better quality of life." A change was coming for Brauer, and fortunately the Web would provide.

"I'm OK that I don't have three different Cuban restaurants to choose from," he jokes. "Some folks couldn't deal with it, but I like going out to the country, going out to the lake, and enjoying the open skies."
Quote:
In Silicon Valley, longtime human resources executive Aryae Coopersmith of HR Forums has noticed a change in the past year.

"Now that the economy is waking up a little bit and there's more hiring, our members have shifted from few concerns about retaining employees to new concerns about retaining employees," said Coopersmith. The work-life balance in middle America could be more appealing, and there are benefits to being a bigger fish in a smaller pond.

A lot of the growth is spurred on by people like Brauer, who returned to Kansas with a decade of experience and a phone full of business contacts.

"I'd been sourcing people from all over the world for the last decade, so working for them didn't necessitate being in L.A."

The nature of the new economy and the technological advances of the past ten years meant that he could be based anywhere and work for clients worldwide.

"I remember one day sitting on a tractor at my parents' and needing to be on a conference call -- with clients in India. I turned down the motor, and since I had good cell service, I did it right there."

"Business is going fine, it can be done. It's a little bit more difficult to grow your business but your costs are so low [in Kansas], your personal burn rate is much lower," said Brauer. "I'm at peace out here."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 88,337 times
Yup

Old 07-16-2010, 03:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Agreed on some points, but those individual case studies could be applicable in many areas across the board these days. With Silicon Valley, Megalopolis, Texas Corridor, etc you have a very high conglomeration of tech companies, ancillary businesses, and other related networks that act as an incubator of innovation, venture capital, and new ideas. Kansas is still mostly a brain drain state as it has a very high out-migration rate compared to many other places. Of course JOCO will have some continued growth, but JOBS are quite a bit harder to come by compared to decades past. Starting a small business sure isn't easy either but it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas