U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 AM

25 posts, read 42,479 times

Advertisements

First of all.....no, I dont work for nor do I own a company sponsored truck driving school.

Secondly, Rip Off Report is the biggest waste of an internet site in the world and anyone that takes what anyone on there says with any seriousness is foolish. ROR does absolutely no fact checking of what anyone posts on there.

By reading that post I can tell you exactly who posted it. It was a person that does what I do. They knew too much about the inside workings of the business. It was a person that owns a private CDL school and is threatened by company sponsored schools.

Company sponsored schools like CRE and such are the biggest threat to my business and to the businesses of people like me.

That being said, despite the competition they pose, I would rather compete honorably and not falsely slander them.

Regarding that Rip Off compliant, 90% of that was bogus and taken out of context. Yes its true, company sponsored schools will not give you your diploma until you have satisfied your employment agreement....so you are affectively tied to an employment contract with them. But thats no secret, you know that going into the program. You know full well that if the company is paying to train you and place you in a job, they dont want you bailing out on them a month later and taking your CDL somewhere else.

CRE and PAM are great companies to work for, they want good employees that are willing to fulfill their obligations and make it worth the training of them.

If you want to take your CDL and go where you want, pay for it yourself and come to a school like mine.....its simple.

Dont believe everything you read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 11:21 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,824,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy512 View Post
If you want to take your CDL and go where you want, pay for it yourself and come to a school like mine.....its simple.
The article also say this at the bottom: "A far better investment, in my opinion, would be a dedicated truck driving school"

I would tend to agree with that. I'm always a little suspicious of the too-good-to-be-true ads. But I'm guessing that not a lot of guys (or gals) looking into becoming truck drivers have the means to pay for the cost of their own training, so that might make the academies seem more appealing.

Then you compound that with the fact that many of them don't read the "fine print" and then become discouraged when they find out what they've really agreed to.

ETA: The rebuttal to the complaint says:
Quote:
My biggest challenge to what you have offered is your assertion that a stand-alone truck driver training is the best option. The fact of the matter is that thse institutions are among the worst rip-offs out there. At least two dozen of these kind of schools are indicted for criminal activity, fraud, and for training deficiencies each year. The tuition rates for these schools are at the high end of the spectrum, and they are quite often fronts for some of the most notorious trucking companies out here.
So maybe that isn't the way to go? ???

This sounds better:
Quote:
And lastly, I will offer the BEST way to go about entering the industry. Seek out your local colleges and technical training institutions. The costs for training are most likely half to one third of the CDL Mills, are far more extensive in terms of training content, and they work with local trucking companies in your area, to help provide a better chance of longevity if you are selected for hire.

I think it's reasonable to expect that you will pay for your own training either with cash or with sweat. If you go in willing to do this, I think you can succeed either way. If you go in thinking you somehow won't have to do this, you will be in for a rude awakening.

Last edited by Samantha S; 11-20-2010 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 PM

25 posts, read 42,479 times
I wish I had $1.00 for every student that came through our school after trying to get their CDL through a community college.....Id be taking a nice trip to Europe on that cash.

First, most people only see the tuition rate and think they are saving big money by going to a trade school or community college.

But think of it this way, most community schools take 3 months to get through class and they dont promise job placement.

My classes are 3 weeks and you have a conditional offer of employment before you ever start the class.

Sure, our classes cost 4 times as much but lets say you and your buddy start school at the same time, you in my school and him in the college. You graduate 2 1/2 months ahead of him and are earning $900.00 a week for 8 weeks before he even takes his test. Now his choice just cost him $4000.00 more than you spent going to my school. Then add the time it takes him to find work......plus you get tuition reimbursment on 90% of the jobs I will place you in.

Its a no brainer.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,824,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy512 View Post
ISure, our classes cost 4 times as much but lets say you and your buddy start school at the same time, you in my school and him in the college. You graduate 2 1/2 months ahead of him and are earning $900.00 a week for 8 weeks before he even takes his test. Now his choice just cost him $4000.00 more than you spent going to my school. Then add the time it takes him to find work......plus you get tuition reimbursment on 90% of the jobs I will place you in.

Its a no brainer.
Maybe. (Individual results may vary) Best advice of all though is to 1) Read the fine print and 2) Expect to work either way.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 511 times
heres a scenerio im on unemployment, i made 45000 while working and it seems like after many application and interviews the only job i can get is at a temp job making three times less what i made. Pretty much i make way more on unemployment than i would taking a temp job. according to some people on here i should take the job for self respect. my problem i still have rent, car note, insurance, phone, internet, bank fees, credit card, electric, putting gas in a v8 and etc and those are some of the bills i still could afford. anyway if i take a 17000 job for self respect me and my wife would be living in a shelter. dont get me wrong i love working it eats me up everyday that i havent found work but to take a lower payng job isnt being lazy its just being plain fn stupid.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 AM

11,246 posts, read 12,865,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Yes, that is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Then put the same effort into finding a better job instead of trying to get money for NOT working.
This is ridiculous. We all pay into UI when we're working. It's not some welfare program, sponging off the tax payers.

I was laid off in 2009 and it took me a year and a half to find work. I had no option to go work at KFC (not to mention, that would look horrible on the resume of a mid career, college educated person!) I HAD to find a job that paid more than the $2,000 a month it cost to put my young children in daycare/pre-school. I did a few odd contracting jobs from home here and there that paid well, and maintained my skills through volunteer work during my time of unemployment, as well as taking care of my children. In the end, I found a job that paid 50% more than I was earning when I was laid off. All's well that ends well, but telling someone to go find some crap min. wage job isn't always the answer. Much depends on the person's unique situation.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 PM

146 posts, read 322,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This is ridiculous. We all pay into UI when we're working. It's not some welfare program, sponging off the tax payers.

I was laid off in 2009 and it took me a year and a half to find work. I had no option to go work at KFC (not to mention, that would look horrible on the resume of a mid career, college educated person!) I HAD to find a job that paid more than the $2,000 a month it cost to put my young children in daycare/pre-school. I did a few odd contracting jobs from home here and there that paid well, and maintained my skills through volunteer work during my time of unemployment, as well as taking care of my children. In the end, I found a job that paid 50% more than I was earning when I was laid off. All's well that ends well, but telling someone to go find some crap min. wage job isn't always the answer. Much depends on the person's unique situation.
Agreed.. I just got laid off because the company is taking work back "in house" So far I have had 3 great interviews and going back for 2nd interviews on 2 of them. I work in IT and have a pretty decent resume. But to take a job at KFC would just look STUPID on my resume. Like you said the companies pay into the UI system. It is figured into their cost of doing business. IT IS NOT WELFARE!!!

I have heard it is easier to get a job if you are not unemployed that working temp jobs in your field, contracting and doing volunteer work is better than laying on the couch. If I do not get a job within a few months I will start going to college for more training.

On another note to the simpletons who say "just take a job" well you have never been out of work and many places like KFC, Wal-mart, and the such will just not hire you as people with a degree are OVER QUALIFIED.

What under-educated, under skilled manager of Mickey D's wants a person who can mop the floor with them intellectually and will leave as soon as something better comes up?

Last edited by geekychick; 08-20-2011 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 343 times
Wow, I understand both sides .. but we get taxes taken out of our paychecks , alot of taxes especially if you make a nice figure. So im afraid I agree with jbturbanado because technically, we are paying to have the potential to pay ourselves back if need be. I am in that situation now, the unemployment money is crap compared to what I was making. The amount is half of what my paycheck was and I am getting max unemployment. Will I be "milking" the system for a year? Uh, nooo I actually couldnt afford to do that. I sure as hell wont be working at mcdonalds when I would be making more collecting unemployment untill I can find a job thats near or close to what I was making prior. It just doesnt make sense!! Blame the system not the people who are using or abusing it! The system I assure you is well aware that this is occuring, and has been for a long time. The same argument could be had for welfare. The SYSTEM allows this abuse. I feel a person should be able to find employment in 6 months, by that time, ok get off your ass and find a job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas