Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 PM

61 posts, read 88,364 times

Advertisements

I was wronfully terminted from my job October 5. It was the only job I have ever had (held it down for 7 and 1/2 years). I became eligible for unemployment benefits and just now received all the payments at once in time to pay my rent for November.

I have had several interviews each week since I have been terminted and a few job offers for low-paying part time positions.

Just last week I went to a staffing agency, and was offered a temp (possibly turn permanent position) at a warehouse.

I will start today. The hours are not my preference (2nd shift) but it's four days a week with a three day weekend which is nice.

It isn't my ideal job as I would rather be a musician full time, but I want to know whta happens when the job ends if it does...which I'm sure it probably will in a month or two.

I called the kansas workforce center on Quivira and I know they aren't the actual unemployment office but the lady there told me that I would still be eligible to file. Is this true? I keep reading different things online.

Do I continue to file my weekly claim while I am working as a temp or do I just stop filing? I noticed that after 17 days of not filing your claim will be closed but then you can re-open it? Not sure what to do here.

Would I be better off sitting around making music and applying for other jobs and just hoping to find something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 AM

321 posts, read 1,213,604 times
You do not keep filing while working the temp job but when it's over, start filing immediately. There should be no lag time between the end of the temp job (last check) and receipt of unemployment. That's how it worked for my husband, anyway. Maybe be different from city to city, depending on how busy the UE office staff are with claims.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 AM

25 posts, read 68,680 times
Actually the best thing for you to do is to find a job, even if it's a minimum wage gig frying chicken at KFC.

The amount of pride and self respect that comes with earning a living, even a meager one, will open new doors for you. Like physics, bodies in motion tend to stay in motion, bodies at rest.....well tend to stay on the couch and collect unemployment.

Being out in the work force keeps your mind in gear and open to new possibilities.

There are thousands and thousands of jobs available in every city.

I own my own business and I meet with other business owners weekly at chamber meetings and such. We all marvel at the unemployment numbers in this country when none of us can find good steady workers that show up to work every day and are productive during their time there.

Get out and work, mcdonalds is always hiring. If you apply yourself and be the best burger flipper in the world, show management that you are serious about your job, they will notice and reward you.

You know how many McDonalds managers or even owners started out on the fry line?

You can do it!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I would check the Kansas Department of Labor's website as I was just there and they have lots of information and current updates - you know the government, constant changes.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:55 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppy512 View Post
Actually the best thing for you to do is to find a job, even if it's a minimum wage gig frying chicken at KFC.

The amount of pride and self respect that comes with earning a living, even a meager one, will open new doors for you. Like physics, bodies in motion tend to stay in motion, bodies at rest.....well tend to stay on the couch and collect unemployment.

Being out in the work force keeps your mind in gear and open to new possibilities.

There are thousands and thousands of jobs available in every city.

I own my own business and I meet with other business owners weekly at chamber meetings and such. We all marvel at the unemployment numbers in this country when none of us can find good steady workers that show up to work every day and are productive during their time there.

Get out and work, mcdonalds is always hiring. If you apply yourself and be the best burger flipper in the world, show management that you are serious about your job, they will notice and reward you.

You know how many McDonalds managers or even owners started out on the fry line?

You can do it!!!
^ Yes, this. If people worked half as hard at finding a job as they do mining unemployment benefits, they wouldn't be unemployed.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
^ Yes, this. If people worked half as hard at finding a job as they do mining unemployment benefits, they wouldn't be unemployed.

So you are telling me people should work in fast food that would pay less than being on unemployment when they get laid off? All because of pride?? You guys are really not locked in reality at all. How ridiculous..... Take the unemployment and find a job close to if not better than what you had with the job you were laid off or fired from..

Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
So you are telling me people should work in fast food that would pay less than being on unemployment when they get laid off?
Yes, that is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Then put the same effort into finding a better job instead of trying to get money for NOT working.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:16 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
It doesnt work that way in this economy, sorry to break your bubble.. And if I worked somewhere making $16,000 a month, I sure as hell would go on unemployment than work my ass off at McDonalds working part time making less... Sorry

Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM

25 posts, read 68,680 times
But that's the problem right there.

If you don't work you shouldn't get a check, period.

I've never gotten money without working for it. When I've been unemployed I didn't get paid. Why should you get paid for not working? I never have.

You have no right to income. The government is not required to nor should it give you money. Where does that money come from?

You do realize that while you are getting paid for not working, that money is coming from someone else's pocket right? We are talking about an end sum game, there is never a free ride. Someone else is paying your bills.

As an employer I have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years in unemployment insurance and even more in work mans comp insurance. 90% of the benefits paid are paid to either fraudulent claims or people doing everything in their power to farm the system for free money. That money could have been better used to grow the business, provide more jobs for people that want to work, more benefits and better pay for people that do work.

Don't worry.......the system currently in place is fast coming to an end. Taking out of the system more than is being put into the system will only last for so long.

Wait and watch......when California comes crashing down and goes into total chaos when the sheeple realize the free ride is over, hopefully the rest of the country will wake up.

So yes, go back to work, even if it means less money than unemployment pays.

Your self respect depends on it.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
It doesnt work that way in this economy, sorry to break your bubble.. And if I worked somewhere making $16,000 a month, I sure as hell would go on unemployment than work my ass off at McDonalds working part time making less... Sorry
What is this, a joke? $16K a month is $700 per day. When that job goes away, you're content to sit on your ass and milk the system for a few hundred a week? If you were making $16K a month, why would you not get OFF your ass and find another job paying something like that? Even half of that would be pretty good money.

As far as I'm concerned, you can go hungry if you won't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas