U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 AM

6 posts, read 16,318 times
Default Looking for a job that pays $35,000 a year without a 4 year degree

Any ideas or suggestions on where to look? I have my two year associate of art's degree, I am 27 and held down the same job (veterinary health) for eight years. I just want a job where I can earn more money. My real passion is music and hope to make a career out of that soon, but right now I just want a better day job. Where can I look for a job that pays this much?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,377,949 times
Some jobs that pay around that salary that don't require college or specialty schools are police officer, animal control officer, other civic jobs, mail carrier, bus drivers, package delivery, and after a few years experience you could probably earn that in relatively simple office jobs like clerical, secretary, accounts payable/receivable, court clerks, order processors, shipping/receiving clerks, or more manual jobs like warehouse work, factories, assembly, and who knows what else. Real estate, real estate inspection, property assessing and the like probably aren't incredibly hard to get into.

Really your best bet to earn that much immediately might be waiting tables, if you're presentable and do a good job.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:11 AM

400 posts, read 721,920 times
People that clean up blood and gore for insurance companies from cars after MVAs, cleaning up the aftermath from homicide, accident and suicide scenes make as much as $100,000/yr without a degree.

I think longshoremen make similar wages, but there is a very large entry barrier. You have to be accepted into union and I hear wait list is looong.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 AM

3,780 posts, read 3,053,870 times
It really depends on what city you are looking in, the size of the city, the cost of living and so many other variables that make just stating that you want to earn $35,000 a year without a 4 year degree. Manual labor here starts at $8.00 to $10.00 an hour with clerical jobs starting at a lower rate usually unless you have some sort of special skills. The cost of living here is lower than in the big city so that money goes a little further. In Kansas, $35,000 a year is really a generous annual income unless you are in the bigger cities. You don't necessarily need the 4 year degree but would need some sort of certification/degree at a lower level. What skills do you have or feel that you could easily attain for this $35,000 a year job?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:32 AM

1,006 posts, read 823,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplifter4 View Post
Any ideas or suggestions on where to look? I have my two year associate of art's degree, I am 27 and held down the same job (veterinary health) for eight years. I just want a job where I can earn more money. My real passion is music and hope to make a career out of that soon, but right now I just want a better day job. Where can I look for a job that pays this much?
Get your insurance license and work for an insurance agency as an agent....or start your own agency after you get some experience.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 6 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,649,242 times
If your passion is music you should be looking for a job that will allow you the time to pursue it. Jobs that start someone off at $35,000 will use up a significant amount of your time and that will infringe upon your outside activities. You will be on call, working nights, holidays and weekends and may be supervising others. But aside from a job or your pursuit of music, why not finish school? That would be the best investment for someone your age in this economy. You could kill two birds with one stone by getting certified in elementary music education. You could get the summer off to play music as well as practically every evening, weekend and holiday.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,454,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Some jobs that pay around that salary that don't require college or specialty schools are police officer, animal control officer, other civic jobs, mail carrier, bus drivers, package delivery, and after a few years experience you could probably earn that in relatively simple office jobs like clerical, secretary, accounts payable/receivable, court clerks, order processors, shipping/receiving clerks, or more manual jobs like warehouse work, factories, assembly, and who knows what else. Real estate, real estate inspection, property assessing and the like probably aren't incredibly hard to get into.

Really your best bet to earn that much immediately might be waiting tables, if you're presentable and do a good job.
It is very easy to get sued as well if you do not know what you are doing. Also at this point in time you can easily obtain your license (I believe Kansas is now a licensed State) but the costs for starting up are high and can be incredibly high. This is not really the business to get into at this particular time.

What's wrong with the veterinary health field? I hate needles but if I did not I would be as happy as can be in that field.

Instead of changing to another job have you considered running some type of part time business related to veterinary health? Or possibly some other part time endeavor just to raise the income?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,377,949 times
Uplifter also could just consider his or herself blessed to have a job and perhaps ask for a raise.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:51 AM

6 posts, read 16,318 times
I have a two year associates degree. I want to actually attend Fort Haye's Online Virtual College and get my Bachelor's in Sociology..mainly because I am interested in it and would like to just say I do have a degree in something. In the meantime I will be pursuing my music. The job I have now actually does allow me to work on music quite often and even one of the managers told me a lot of musicians work there because it seems to fit the lifestyle. I only make 11 bucks an hour plus monthly bonus but it pays the bills. I just want more money so I can travel.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 6 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,649,242 times
Kansas wouldn't be my first choice for a place to work on a music career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas