U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:34 AM

7,554 posts, read 9,149,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Do you see KC growing west to meet Lawrence or Lawrence growing west to meet Topeka one day?
While Lawrence is only growing on the west side of town, it's pretty confined. It's not like Lawrence is sprawling down I-70 toward Topeka. But metro KC is sprawling down K-10 toward Lawrence. KC is also growing substantially faster than what Lawrence does (more development). And K-10 is easier to develop than the turnpike. K-10 already carries more traffic than 70 between Lawrence and metro KC and plans are in the works to widen K-10 to six lanes (eight near KC's beltway).

Also, Topeka pretty much only grows west too which doesn't help in closing the gap between Topeka and L.

So, even though a lot of people commute between Topeka and Lawrence, I think it will always be physically separated by vast open land and pretty independent of one another.

The corridor between Lawrence and metro KC is rapidly developing though and I think it will be pretty much continuous development along K-10 in the next 20 years as Lawrence and metro KC merge into one large region (much like Denver/Boulder). It's already a commuter suburb to JoCo and Downtown KC.

However, I -70 (turnpike) between Lawrence and KCK will barely change in the same time period and remain undeveloped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM

29,990 posts, read 20,014,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Sprawl compared to where? Lawrence has a population of about 90,000. That's bigger than it was in the 80s, for sure, but it's not sprawl compared to places like Houston, where the commenter is from. Lawrence is only 5 or 6 miles from one end to the other, beyond that it's all farmland. There are not any suburbs that sprawl between Lawrence and Kansas City or between Lawrence and Topeka. It's farmland. That's not sprawl. Sprawl is places like Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, etc. Places where uninterrupted suburban development goes on for 30-40 miles in all directions.
Sprawl compared to what Lawrence used to be in the early-mid 80's. Thought that was made perfectly clear in my post. No reason to get your panties in a wad.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM

674 posts, read 839,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
While Lawrence is only growing on the west side of town, it's pretty confined. It's not like Lawrence is sprawling down I-70 toward Topeka. But metro KC is sprawling down K-10 toward Lawrence. KC is also growing substantially faster than what Lawrence does (more development). And K-10 is easier to develop than the turnpike. K-10 already carries more traffic than 70 between Lawrence and metro KC and plans are in the works to widen K-10 to six lanes (eight near KC's beltway).

Also, Topeka pretty much only grows west too which doesn't help in closing the gap between Topeka and L.

So, even though a lot of people commute between Topeka and Lawrence, I think it will always be physically separated by vast open land and pretty independent of one another.

The corridor between Lawrence and metro KC is rapidly developing though and I think it will be pretty much continuous development along K-10 in the next 20 years as Lawrence and metro KC merge into one large region (much like Denver/Boulder). It's already a commuter suburb to JoCo and Downtown KC.

However, I -70 (turnpike) between Lawrence and KCK will barely change in the same time period and remain undeveloped.
Do you think all 3 cities will one day be in a single metro since there are a lot of commuters between Lawrence and Topeka and fill in development occuring between Lawrence and KC?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:17 PM

201 posts, read 261,969 times
Funny - i'm from Garden City, KS and Lawrence was always the mecca for everyone i went to highschool with regardless if they were going to college or not. I have several friends that live in Lawrence just to live there. I guess they are charmed by the whole college town thing, sucks that its now a shadow of what it used to be.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:25 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,014,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
Do you think all 3 cities will one day be in a single metro since there are a lot of commuters between Lawrence and Topeka and fill in development occuring between Lawrence and KC?
Sadly, yes, though it may take longer for Lawrence to meet Topeka than KC/Lenexa/Olathe/Desoto to meet Lawrence. If you look at the footprint of the suburbs they are not far from it now. I believe some tribal land and the former Sunflower munitions site are all that is stopping DeSoto from meeting Eudora.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 AM

13,701 posts, read 3,865,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

The KTA built a new exit and toll both in between Bonner Springs and Lawrence, so the countryside along the turnpike is more acessable now. Whoever owns that property at that exit is sitting on a lot of money now.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,547 times
I believe the total population for Douglas County has passed 100,000 people now...I moved to Lawrence in the mid-1980s when it was about half of that and there actually used to be a lull during the summer...no more!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:07 PM

674 posts, read 839,289 times
When I lived there. I lived on Haskell Avenue, near East Heights Elementary. Anyone know how that neighborhood is now? It was alright when I was there in 1994.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas