U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,748,992 times
butterbeans4, A couple questions for you. Are you only considering Kansas, and why? It's a fine state, I just wonder if it's your only option.

Another, does it matter if you are in mountain or central time zone. Because Goodland and Syracuse are in mountain time zone. If you'd rather be in central, from Goodland I'd look a half hour east to Colby. It's about the same size, right on I-70 just like Goodland. But it's central time. Weather is almost identical.

Another thing to note, from Goodland you can be to Denver International Airport in just over 2 1/2 hours and downtown Denver in less than 3. That is if you have the need for big city events ever. Add a half hour travel time from Colby. Only down side is closest city of 20,000 + is Hays, which is 2 hours east on I-70. Or 1 1/2 from Colby.

If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help

Also, the cities the guy above me listed are nice, I've never been to them. But they look nice and proximaty to Wichita is nice. But you'd see far less snow in those places too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 05:34 PM

126 posts, read 217,152 times
Kansas isn't really my only option, it just seems to make more sense. My husband owns a very small carpentry business outside Atlanta, we are doing fine since the housing/remodeling industry is huge here but he wants to change careers, he says his body will be worn out in 5 years if he keeps up this pace . We have a 12 year old and a 2 year old and I feel like the only time we ever do things outside is when we go to Six Flags(which is in south Atlanta). It's either too hot with no nice places to swim and fish within a 2 hour drive . I used to do stuff outside all the time in Montana when my other daughter was little, there are alot of things to do without having to pay for it and we absolutely loved the snow. I also lived in Florida, we always had plenty to do(swimming, fishing) but although I like visiting I don't want to live there again(apparently I have a fixation on snow). My friend(from Montana) lives in Florida right now and wants to move to Kansas within 6 years (we will be going within 2 years, we have to sell our house etc.). She is pregnant with her first child and doesn't want him/her in the Florida school system.(being from a small town in Montana her graduating class was around 40) We all think Kansas is a happy medium for visiting family, my husbands family of course in Georgia and my family in Florida,Colorado and Montana, So theres a long story you didn't ask for today.=) Anyway, that's why we all agreed on Kansas, now we need to find the perfect place within this state. And also, as far as living near a big city, we live 20 minutes right outside Atlanta and I try NOT to go there as often as possible. But with my husband changing jobs (and not independently wealthy) we probably need to be close to a medium sized town with job opportunities. And just one more point, here it takes an hout to go 20 miles some days. It'll be nice not to deal with that anymore. Boy can I ramble on and on. =)

Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM

Ha, you will travel much faster out in Kansas. 70 mph speed limit on interstates. Most people go 75. The only bad things about Goodland and Colby are that it's an hour and a half - 2 hours to a town 20,000 +. Goodland and Colby are both about 5,000 people. If you want a place bigger town you'd have to look at Hays or perhaps Garden or Dodge City, which are both in the southwest. We're kind of taking a couple steps back here listing a few more places. But it helps to keep your options open. I think it would be best to stay in the western half of the state, and for the south only the southwest.

Old 09-01-2006, 08:12 AM

I think your right about the area to focus on, and at the same time keep our options open. I plan to research it until my fingers fall off if I have to, because this is a huge move and I only want to do it once. Plus I noticed the tornado probability is much lower in the western (esp North western) part of the state. So thanks for the new town names, the only thing I have a hard time finding is house and property values since there is so little for sale in the smaller towns. I see the free land all over and houses on the eastern side but that's it. I'll just keep looking, again were not leaving tomorrow, but 2 years really isn't that long when you consider how much we still have to do. And that 70 mph speed limit sounds nice too as long as people actually drive it (or surpass it) We could have a 90 mph speed limit here and it wouldn't matter at 8 am with half a million people or more on the interstate just going to work. The more I think about it, the more tired I become. =)

Old 09-01-2006, 09:10 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,999,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
I think it would be best to stay in the western half of the state, and for the south only the southwest.
Is it only because of tornados that you say this, or are there other reasons as well? Please articulate.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Is it only because of tornados that you say this, or are there other reasons as well? Please articulate.
I say that because that area sees more snow.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:31 AM

Just to let you know, I found the school system with 4 day school weeks and it is due to budget issues. Probably not a great reason to move somewhere. =) Plus, it is in the south central part of Kansas so the weather wouldn't be what I would be looking for either. My daughter has decided she would rather have snow, less tornados and a regular school week anyway. =) I love this City Data website by the way, the information is great.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:33 PM
hbc

7 posts, read 44,916 times
You might want to freshen up on your spanish!!

Old 09-06-2006, 01:40 PM

I live around Atlanta right now, if I was going to actually learn to speak Spanish I think it would have been beneficial to do it a long time ago. =) Were you serious though? In Western Kansas?

Old 09-09-2006, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,893 times
I am kind of shocked that nobody mentioned the State Capitol "Topeka".
We get our fair share of snow with out being dumped on. Goodland Ks get dumped on and might be snowed in for days on end. Now, not only do they get dumped on, but they also have very low temps.
Now as for schools being only 4 days??? I haven't ever heard of any around here. We have full 5 days of school and we even have some full day KG.
Tornados........A big misconseption is that we are tornado valley. Wrong! Oka, yes. North Dakota even has more tornado activety than we have!
Where ever you end up, I hope that you enjoy it. Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas