U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
8 posts, read 15,057 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

If you are looking at western Kansas, please look at northwest Kansas. The southern part is pretty barren. I have a cousin that lives in Oberlin and they get quite a bit of snow. Also look at Colby. Ellsworth is a nice town. I grew up in Holyrood, 13 miles from there and always preferred Ellsworth. They do have quite a bit of snow but not as much as the northwest. If you go very far south of I-70 you lose the snow. Around Wichita we get more ice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
 
3 posts, read 4,088 times
Reputation: 10
push ur governor in kansas to go for the bill like arizona did...missouri is doing it now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,108 posts, read 2,633,518 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie from missouri View Post
push ur governor in kansas to go for the bill like arizona did...missouri is doing it now.
Are you referring to the "Show me your papers!" law that is all to reminiscent of early 1940's Germany?

Too many people try to strike fear in others by yelling "socialism" where there is none, yet have no problem in calling for truly fascist laws. Some espouse libertarian views and promote small government while giving government the most intrusive and horrific powers, yet see no hypocrisy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
 
814 posts, read 1,871,009 times
Reputation: 399
I'm lily white, born in the USA and if someone asked me to prove it, I'd be hard pressed. I don't carry a birth certificate around with me nor do I even know where mine is at the moment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM
 
Location: NE Ks.
321 posts, read 1,122,835 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
I'm lily white, born in the USA and if someone asked me to prove it, I'd be hard pressed. I don't carry a birth certificate around with me nor do I even know where mine is at the moment.
Essentially, you present it when you show your DL. You were required to bring your birth cert in order to get you DL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Kansas City
404 posts, read 507,832 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay67010 View Post
If you are looking at western Kansas, please look at northwest Kansas. The southern part is pretty barren. I have a cousin that lives in Oberlin and they get quite a bit of snow. Also look at Colby. Ellsworth is a nice town. I grew up in Holyrood, 13 miles from there and always preferred Ellsworth. They do have quite a bit of snow but not as much as the northwest. If you go very far south of I-70 you lose the snow. Around Wichita we get more ice.
For god sakes don't live in Western Kansas, there's NOTHING out there it's flat, and probably boring. Atleast move to the Eastern part of the state where more things are. I used to live in KCK it has a nice college around, and a really nice library(atleast it used to). Also there's the legends near the Speedway. Please listen to someone from Kansas like me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2010, 06:25 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 4,161,852 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
For god sakes don't live in Western Kansas, there's NOTHING out there it's flat, and probably boring. Atleast move to the Eastern part of the state where more things are. I used to live in KCK it has a nice college around, and a really nice library(atleast it used to). Also there's the legends near the Speedway. Please listen to someone from Kansas like me.
"probably boring"? And "used to live in KCK"?

So pardon me if I assume your experience with Western KS amounts to driving across I70 to Colorado?

It's okay, you're not alone. But also not an expert on "Kansas"

Yes, Western KS is pretty flat and much drier than the Eastern part. Flat = windy, so yeah, climate-wise it's certainly not a top pick.

But thousands of people do call it home ... by choice, so for some, it does have some redeeming qualities:

Low COL
Small town/rural life, for those who prefer that
Believe it or not, a few lakes and camping sites
Wilson lake, with it's high bluffs is actually a top destination for hang gliding
Smaller, yet good quality universities

Those are just off the top of my head ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Kansas City
404 posts, read 507,832 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
"probably boring"? And "used to live in KCK"?

So pardon me if I assume your experience with Western KS amounts to driving across I70 to Colorado?

It's okay, you're not alone. But also not an expert on "Kansas"

Yes, Western KS is pretty flat and much drier than the Eastern part. Flat = windy, so yeah, climate-wise it's certainly not a top pick.

But thousands of people do call it home ... by choice, so for some, it does have some redeeming qualities:

Low COL
Small town/rural life, for those who prefer that
Believe it or not, a few lakes and camping sites
Wilson lake, with it's high bluffs is actually a top destination for hang gliding
Smaller, yet good quality universities

Those are just off the top of my head ...
Spot on you are...wow you are one smart person. I don't hate western Kansas heck I don't even remember it, I just guessed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 AM
 
814 posts, read 1,871,009 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
Essentially, you present it when you show your DL. You were required to bring your birth cert in order to get you DL.
I don't think that is correct. It may be true of newer licensed drivers but I don't remember ever having to show a birth certificate to get a renewal. Plus, fake driver's licenses abound.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2010, 11:15 AM
 
Location: NE Ks.
321 posts, read 1,122,835 times
Reputation: 135
I'm 43. When I got my first DL, I had to present my birth certificate... that was in '83. Same was true for my kids when they got theirs a few years ago. I don't know how it works when you move from state to state since I've only lived in Kansas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top