U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM

4,051 posts, read 5,676,740 times

Advertisements

McPherson about a decade ago as I recall, was ranked either #1 or #2 best town to live in the entire USA, by "Progressive Farmer" Magazine.

In the 1990s McPherson was also written up in a book called "100 best small towns in America" (available on amazon).

"National Geographic" magazine had a special article a few years ago, just about Lindsborg and its world chess tournament/ chess academy, that was started by a Russian chess enthusiast who is a teacher at Bethany College there. You can read the article on the magazine's website. by searching on it "Lindsborg".

Last edited by slowlane3; 02-22-2012 at 10:35 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Have any of you ever even been to Kansas? Most of you seem to be giving your opinions and it seems very few of you live near here, let alone in the state, or have even visited for that matter. Doing research on the internet or visiting a town doesn't give you any idea of what the place is actually like. I have lived in Kansas my entire life. I have seen very few opinions on here that are anywhere near accurate to what Kansas is really like. First off living in KC or Wichita is like living in any other big city. Look up the statistics. Wichita is one of the most violent crime per capita areas. Wichita's violent crime rate is over 200% higher than the Kansas average, which is only 17% lower than the national average. You do the math. KC also has many extremely bad areas such as the bottoms, which if you are a local resident you will know what that means and where it is, but for those who are not, it is basically the slums and an area that you do not want to visit after dark and generally don't want to be there during the daytime. Bodies frequently turn up there. I personally know of someone whose ex-husband was found dismembered in that particular area. Lawrence also has a fair amount of crime, though not so much violent crime. It has one of the most well known colleges in the country, KU, and so suffers from criminal activity similar to that of other college campuses. There is also a lot of alcohol related crime. Being a college town there are many bars as well as campus parties. Manhattan, the home of the other famous university, K-State, has many of these problems as well. Another interesting fact is that some of the countries most infamous and violent prisons are located in Kansas. So many of the comments about these larger towns being so great are not accurate even though some of them do have some positive attributes. Just because we are in the Midwest and a part of the "Bible Belt" doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of criminal activity. On the flip side of this is the idea that all of the small towns are boring and have no opportunities, no businesses, are all corrupt, won't allow new businesses to come in, have nothing to do and that everyone leaves to go elsewhere because there are no job opportunities. While some of these things are true in some areas this is the case in all states. Someone mentioned some towns being built on old mines and that is true of many places throughout the country. The area in which I live is built over coal mines. Our area has a very rich history in this industry but this causes no problems and actually brings some tourism to the area. The state of Kansas actually has a really interesting history if people would actually look at it instead of just making biased uniformed comments. One example I can give you is to go to www.bigbrutus.org/‎. This is just one example of our fascinating history. In summation, before you make uneducated statements about our state or any other town or city that you know nothing of, maybe you should stop and think rather than just typing a bunch of nonsense. It is your right as an American to give your opinion, but at least think about what you are saying and maybe know something about the subject before you go flapping your jaws, or in this case typing without your brain.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:35 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,999,197 times
Hell yeah, Big Brutus!

I think you should take the advice you're giving in what should be your last paragraph.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM

3,572 posts, read 6,999,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime KS Resident 1980 View Post
Have any of you ever even been to Kansas? Most of you seem to be giving your opinions and it seems very few of you live near here, let alone in the state, or have even visited for that matter. Doing research on the internet or visiting a town doesn't give you any idea of what the place is actually like. I have lived in Kansas my entire life. I have seen very few opinions on here that are anywhere near accurate to what Kansas is really like.

First off living in KC or Wichita is like living in any other big city. Look up the statistics. Wichita is one of the most violent crime per capita areas. Wichita's violent crime rate is over 200% higher than the Kansas average, which is only 17% lower than the national average. You do the math.

KC also has many extremely bad areas such as the bottoms, which if you are a local resident you will know what that means and where it is, but for those who are not, it is basically the slums and an area that you do not want to visit after dark and generally don't want to be there during the daytime. Bodies frequently turn up there. I personally know of someone whose ex-husband was found dismembered in that particular area.

Lawrence also has a fair amount of crime, though not so much violent crime. It has one of the most well known colleges in the country, KU, and so suffers from criminal activity similar to that of other college campuses. There is also a lot of alcohol related crime. Being a college town there are many bars as well as campus parties.

Manhattan, the home of the other famous university, K-State, has many of these problems as well.

Another interesting fact is that some of the countries most infamous and violent prisons are located in Kansas.

So many of the comments about these larger towns being so great are not accurate even though some of them do have some positive attributes. Just because we are in the Midwest and a part of the "Bible Belt" doesn't mean we don't have our fair share of criminal activity. On the flip side of this is the idea that all of the small towns are boring and have no opportunities, no businesses, are all corrupt, won't allow new businesses to come in, have nothing to do and that everyone leaves to go elsewhere because there are no job opportunities. While some of these things are true in some areas this is the case in all states.

Someone mentioned some towns being built on old mines and that is true of many places throughout the country. The area in which I live is built over coal mines. Our area has a very rich history in this industry but this causes no problems and actually brings some tourism to the area. The state of Kansas actually has a really interesting history if people would actually look at it instead of just making biased uniformed comments. One example I can give you is to go to www.bigbrutus.org/‎. This is just one example of our fascinating history.

In summation, before you make uneducated statements about our state or any other town or city that you know nothing of, maybe you should stop and think rather than just typing a bunch of nonsense. It is your right as an American to give your opinion, but at least think about what you are saying and maybe know something about the subject before you go flapping your jaws, or in this case typing without your brain.
There, I've made it easier for whoever else might want to read this.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:24 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,202,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Hell yeah, Big Brutus!

I think you should take the advice you're giving in what should be your last paragraph.
Fantastic advice, MOKAN.

When I originally read the referenced response I felt compelled to (among other things) ask if the author knows how to locate the little tags on each post indicating where each of us live. And yes, for crying out loud, before that person asks, before I moved to Alaska, I did live in Kansas, and a lot of my family lives there and settled that state. I was also curious whether or not that person had read the darn thread, as nearly everyone who has posted here has made reference to the fact that they live in Kansas.

The old saying that comes to mind -- and that got so much use way back in high school -- is, "Get off your high-horse."

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,202,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Hell yeah, Big Brutus!

Fantastic advice, MOKAN.

When I originally read the referenced response I felt compelled to (among other things) ask if the author knows how to locate the little tags on each post indicating where each of us live. And yes, for crying out loud, before that person asks, before I moved to Alaska, I did live in Kansas, and a lot of my family lives there and settled that state. I was also curious whether or not that person had read the darn thread, as nearly everyone who has posted here has made reference to the fact that they live in Kansas.

The old saying that comes to mind -- and which got so much mileage way back in high school -- is, "Get off your high-horse."

Old 02-01-2014, 10:00 PM

4,675 posts, read 3,074,212 times
In my opinion I would rank towns as following. What one thinks is a small town is very relative, so I'm sticking with my opinion.

1. Lawrence
2. manhattan
3. McPherson
4. Tie. Derby and Northwest Wichita towns
5. Hays

And worst locations
1. Pittsburg
2. Kansas City (Wyandotte county area, but its getting better)
3. St. Joseph area ( the river is nice)
4. Topeka (born here, for 200,000~ people its an extremely boring city with high crime)
5. Most towns on I-70 west of Topeka (not salina or Hays obviously)

Mixed Bag
1. Junction city (there is a reason it's called junk town, but the Korean population makes the town interesting)
2. Lindsborg (really nice town, but the residents are not my type of people, sorry)
3. Dodge City (some nice attractions, but would never ever live there)
4. Wichita (crime, crime, crime. Location matters a lot!)
5. Salina (downtown is surprisingly nice, but the rest of the town disappoints.)

Sorry, that is probably more then anyone wanted, but that's my list after living here 26 years. I have visited all towns mentioned and lived in approximately half.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
Wink Cottonwood Falls Kansas

I love Chase County Kansas

There are plenty of activities, check out the Chase County Leader News paper.
https://www.facebook.com/chasecountyleadernews copy and paste the link

I love the drive through the Flint Hills whenever we go somewhere. We are are right in the middle of all the big cities; Emporia - 15 min./ Council Grove - 30 min./ Wichita and Topeka - 45 min./ Manhattan - 1hr./ Ottawa - 1hr./ KC - 2hrs./ Turner Falls Oklahoma - 4hrs.

The community is the best!
Your neighbors actually care, they stop and talk whenever they can. Our church is only a block away. The Dollar Store and Casey's are favorite meeting places that are even within walking distance. There is a paved trail to Strong City - 1 mile, then all the way to Tallgrass Prairie - 3 miles.

Live and work in Cottonwood Falls Kansas
We even have an aircraft components manufacturing plant in town, so you can go home during breaks to take care of your home needs. People say it is a good place to work. Most of the community is agricultural, so if you like to work outdoors, there is lot's of opportunity. As an electrician, I have made a lot of friends with people of several walks of life, from small ranches to lake property owners. Services Unlimited in Council Grove is a good place to work, with a great drive through the Flint Hills, no city traffic here, just wildlife and cattle pastures!

Check out Cottonwood Falls on Google Earth
https://www.google.com/earth/explore/products/desktop.html copy and paste the link

Old 07-25-2016, 04:56 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,644,182 times
I know almost nothing about Kansas, but know my moms family is still in the small town of Seneca. At least a few of them are. Most left years ago or are no longer living. As a kid, I remember visiting a few times. I think there were about a 1000 people in the entire town and still have about that many. To me, that is a small town. Mom always said great things about living in a small town. I know I loved it, the few times we were there.

I know I didn't really answer the question, but had to respond as it caught my eye.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:32 PM

29 posts, read 18,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWF Resident View Post

I love Chase County Kansas

There are plenty of activities, check out the Chase County Leader News paper.
https://www.facebook.com/chasecountyleadernews copy and paste the link

I love the drive through the Flint Hills whenever we go somewhere. We are are right in the middle of all the big cities; Emporia - 15 min./ Council Grove - 30 min./ Wichita and Topeka - 45 min./ Manhattan - 1hr./ Ottawa - 1hr./ KC - 2hrs./ Turner Falls Oklahoma - 4hrs.

The community is the best!
Your neighbors actually care, they stop and talk whenever they can. Our church is only a block away. The Dollar Store and Casey's are favorite meeting places that are even within walking distance. There is a paved trail to Strong City - 1 mile, then all the way to Tallgrass Prairie - 3 miles.

Live and work in Cottonwood Falls Kansas
We even have an aircraft components manufacturing plant in town, so you can go home during breaks to take care of your home needs. People say it is a good place to work. Most of the community is agricultural, so if you like to work outdoors, there is lot's of opportunity. As an electrician, I have made a lot of friends with people of several walks of life, from small ranches to lake property owners. Services Unlimited in Council Grove is a good place to work, with a great drive through the Flint Hills, no city traffic here, just wildlife and cattle pastures!

Check out Cottonwood Falls on Google Earth
https://www.google.com/earth/explore/products/desktop.html copy and paste the link
Chase county used to be my favorite county in Kansas. Big, wide open spaces, reminds me of Wyoming.
It's still up there but Jefferson county has since taken #1 for me thanks to the abundance of trees compared to the rest of the state.

But since you're down there... Do you know anything about that old auditorium building in Strong City?
Why it's in such bad shape? If there are any plans to use it for something or is someone trying to sell it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas