U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM

210 posts, read 377,023 times

Advertisements

Lindsborg,KS is a great little town. Neat history,great college,and very safe community. I grew up in Mcpherson,KS thats just about 15 minutes south and its a good small town also. Pop. about 15,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:54 PM

21,166 posts, read 16,889,252 times
When we lived in Salina, I always heard good things about Lindsborg and never a negative thing. Gosh, I think I'll check that one for my list of best bets in KS!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, apparently Dodge City of all places has a gang problem. But a gang problem in Dodge City, KS might be a little different that a gang problem in Kansas City, MO.
When I first moved to Hutch I expressed a desire to go to Dodge City to see some historical stuff and my friends informed me that they would not "let" me go alone. Mind you, I have traveled all of the West including the Sierras and much of the Rockies by myself, so I prickled at their phrasing and commented that "Nobody 'LETS' me do ANYTHING. I pretty much do whatever I please... What's your concern?"

Suffice it to say, that I have not yet been to Dodge City and I feel no burning desire to take a road trip.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:57 PM

210 posts, read 377,023 times
Dodge isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Now, Garden city.......... Just kidding.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM

29 posts, read 135,257 times
I'm a little late on this thread, but I'll add my two cents.

I really love Halstead, Ks. It's like a hidden gem in my opinion. It is really small, with a population of about 1200, so it won't fit all your criteria. But it's an adorable, affordable and aesthetically pleasing town with zero crime. You can get around town very easily by walking too.

There are two nice parks and a long, paved walking trail on the river. There are several dining options, gas stations and a subway. A decent but small library, a learning center for health, pool, a several other small businesses, mostly located along the main street. A negative is that there is only one small grocery store, and it's on the expensive side. Also, jobs are obviously an issue with it being so small, but there are a few places to work like a nursing home and a call center. Most residents are commuters or entrepreneurs.

They also have a hospital, but it's been out of commission for years. A developer from New York is working on reopening it though.

Halstead is only a 20 minute drive to downtown Wichita and ten miles from Newton. Newton has a University and hospital and shopping and is one of the few places in Kansas where you can get on an Amtrak train. It's also within reasonable distance to several other small University towns like Hesston.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM

394 posts, read 578,461 times
I was born in Kansas 63 years ago and have lived in six different small towns. By far the town with the greatest character is Lindsborg.

I live in Alabama now but sure miss Lindsborg (although I live in a wonderful part of Alabama).

Old 07-31-2011, 09:28 PM

874 posts, read 1,481,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
When we lived in Salina, I always heard good things about Lindsborg and never a negative thing. Gosh, I think I'll check that one for my list of best bets in KS!
Well, here comes a bad thing... I visited Lindsborg and there was nothing special there, just about 1,000 bike riders and old houses. It takes 5 minutes to see everything there.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM

143 posts, read 227,370 times
No love for any of the western towns, Goodland, Colby?

Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 AM

227 posts, read 301,619 times
Depending upon your definition of small, I can offer three size options I like.

For small, Ellinwood.
For a bit bigger, Hays.
For quite a bit bigger, Lawrence.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM

21,166 posts, read 16,889,252 times
Everyone recommends Lawrence for about anything but when I looked at the stats after one of our town pervs (married and had affair with underage student) there, I thought the crime seemed awfully high - maybe she thought she would not be noticed? http://www.city-data.com/city/Lawrence-Kansas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas