U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 PM

15,193 posts, read 20,714,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
All right, but is my understanding correct that you basically don't like any place in Kansas to begin with? That's the impression I've gotten.
It's mainly due to the issues of many people I dealt with while living there and my dislike of the job market and climate. I much prefer to be in a wooded area compared to an open area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 PM

4,327 posts, read 6,717,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's mainly due to the issues of many people I dealt with while living there and my dislike of the job market and climate. I much prefer to be in a wooded area compared to an open area.
Okay, fair enough.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 AM

34 posts, read 52,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Next time I get back there I'll have to visit. My Swedish was never good, and is pretty rusty now, but it'd be fun to try it. If you can get lutefisk there, that's a good sign. If you can get surstromming and glogg there at the holidays, I think my Swedish friends would acknowledge that as very Swedish.
I learned some as a kid, but lost it. I knew Spanish a lot better when I lived in California (as a kid) but forgot most of that too. Still got the accent down right, though!

You know, I run when I hear the word "lutefisk" but I do like other Swedish foods... and yes, I can even eat pickled herring at breakfast with the best of them! You won't find many people in Lindsborg who speak English with a Swedish accent anymore, like you would in the early 1980's and earlier. Now they speak good English and decent Swedish... though some won't admit to the Swedish. You have to draw it out of them sometimes.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would have to agree about the people and the climate. I think "Little House" is pretty romanticized. The prairie is a lonely place. Don't know how Ma Ingalls stood it. Plus Kansas weather is brutal. I can enjoy the bitter cold winters if there is snow to play in, but I detest the scorching humid summers where you're practically breathing water into your lungs, and so do my horses --who do NOT like to be ridden at these temps. The droughts, the wind, the blazing sun, the tornados... can't wait to leave it all.

So far it's been hotter here this summer than in Montgomery, AL; Houston, TX; Tuscon, AZ; Nashville, TN; and a few other southern states where I have relatives. I check the temps in all these places every day and compare them, and we've been in the 3 digits for weeks until a couple of days ago. Strangely, today it was 80 degrees, suddenly.

Job market--better than some places, worse than others. Depends on what you do for a living. I do agree that the small towns in the northeast are far more pleasant than anywhere else in Kansas. And you're closer to the International airport. Before TSA started molesting everyone, I would fly free and would often hop on a plane and go wherever, whenever. Kansas didn't bother me then, because I knew I could leave it for awhile if I wanted to.

On the flip side, I don't have relatives bothering me here. They don't like Kansas, thank heavens. Most of them are thorns in my side.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depfamily View Post
Funny that you mention Independance as the home of Laura Ingles Wilder, My husband and I were first drawn to Kansas for relocation because of Coffeyville/Independance area... but he needs a job in the city- and its a little far to commute, but just last night I was thinking we feel like the modern version of the Little House on the Parie days- but sick of California crowds and longing for a safe and beautiful place to put down roots and raise a family! No matter how many houses I find in Wichita, I still find myself drawn to the houses with a little bit of prarie So were looking now at Valley Center, Kechi, Goddard and other smaller towns within driving distance for work. But one day we may end up in your neck of the woods, cause so far its our favorite!
I felt this way, once. I hope the people treat you well. I do agree with you about California, but oh how I miss the San Diego weather!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:12 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,852,968 times
Quote:
If you have to live in Kansas your best bet is northeast KS near Kansas City metro.
Bleah! Why on earth would people want to crowd themselves amongst other people like this?? Not to mention the humidity...

I've been to Kansas City exactly twice, both of which were about 20 years ago. I've had no desire whatsoever to go back. :P

Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Bleah! Why on earth would people want to crowd themselves amongst other people like this?? Not to mention the humidity...

I've been to Kansas City exactly twice, both of which were about 20 years ago. I've had no desire whatsoever to go back. :P
Actually the rural areas AWAY from the city are, well, rural. And very green and pretty up there in the northeast. People in those N.E. rural areas don't have that "last name" thing, and they are more educated. I would never want to live in Kansas City--bleah is right (except for the Plaza). But I did like being near the airport in the days when I could go wherever I wanted without the sky nazis groping me.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM

15,193 posts, read 20,714,966 times
Quote:

Uh, there are lots of rural areas in NE Kansas not close to Kansas City as well

Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,852,968 times
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but you DID say "northeast KS near Kansas City metro"

In which case, if you're in the "rural" areas around KC metro, it's only rural if you're comparing it to downtown. lol
More importantly, do you see all the light green to red areas of this map?-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ka...lation_map.png
For my opinion, when you have that many people, that crowded together, it's not particularly "rural."

But I realize my vision of "rural" is considerably less populated that most everyone else's around here. I learned a long time ago that people tend to appreciate their neighbors more when they can't see into each other's yard, hear their dogs bark, etc.

Consequently, I heartily disagree with the notion that if one must live in Kansas they should locate themselves somewhere in the vicinity of KC.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 08-12-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but you DID say "northeast KS near Kansas City metro"

In which case, if you're in the "rural" areas around KC metro, it's only rural if you're comparing it to downtown. lol
More importantly, do you see all the light green to red areas of this map?-- File:Kansas population map.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For my opinion, when you have that many people, that crowded together, it's not particularly "rural."

But I realize my vision of "rural" is considerably less populated that most everyone else's around here. I learned a long time ago that people tend to appreciate their neighbors more when they can't see into each other's yard, hear their dogs bark, etc.

Consequently, I heartily disagree with the notion that if one must live in Kansas they should locate themselves somewhere in the vicinity of KC.
Compared to where I am, you betcha. Rural is a subjective term, maybe, but the drive I can make from the alpaca farm up there in the northeast to the airport ain't bad at all. The area surrounding this alpaca farm is quite rural with lots of wide open space. Then again, I'm comparing that distance to what I have to drive currently. Also by "northeast" I'm not talking up by White Cloud or up that far... although it's rural up there, too.

When I say "rural", I mean "not urban" and "not suburban" and houses spread way apart. You might see them, but you can't hear a darn thing.

Your last sentence is okay if that's what you like. I don't like western Kansas, I don't like southern Kansas, I don't like central Kansas (with a few exceptions), and I don't like southeast Kansas. Southeast Kansas actually is pretty, but it's the people I don't like--though I am trying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas