U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 AM

34 posts, read 96,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
another problem with parts of SEK is housing blight. I believe in Pittsburg or Crawford county it was said that 5% of the population owns over half the houses. Its not uncommon for one person to own 100 rental homes. I think the old adage was to own 1 house for every day of the month as a retirement plan. It was assumed that one man could spend a few hours after work each day maintaining one of these dumps to keep up his investment.
Isn't that because it's a college town? I figured most college towns' housing was mostly rentals. But I own one rental house (not in a college town), and that's one rental house too many. But as a landlord, I am johnny-on-the-spot and fix things immediately and make sure everything is in good shape and in good working order. I couldn't do any less, but then I'd be hoppin' if I owned a hundred rentals. No thank you. I refuse to have any building of mine be a dump. Haven't the time or desire to maintain one, much less a hundred. I'm trying to sell my rental to my renters--the first renters I've ever had who weren't destructive trashy slobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I've heard this as well. Situations like that where you have a few landlords owning most of the housing stock in entire towns or counties never ends very well. It takes even longer to see improvement when you have unfortunate situations like that. Also, many areas of SEK are underlayed by derelict zinc and lead mines from the more than 100 years ago. You end up with lots of contaiminants in the soil and other issues that makes properties worth next to nothing.
I didn't know anything about derelict zinc and lead mines. Is this mostly in the lower southeast corner, or is it up farther north, too?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 AM

22,190 posts, read 38,714,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenKS View Post
I didn't know anything about derelict zinc and lead mines. Is this mostly in the lower southeast corner, or is it up farther north, too?
Mostly areas of Crawford and Cherokee counties. The area attracted a lot of European immigration to work in the mines and ancillary operations at the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The area has a rather interesting history in that regard.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 AM

396 posts, read 891,077 times
Quote:
Mostly areas of Crawford and Cherokee counties. The area attracted a lot of European immigration to work in the mines and ancillary operations at the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries. The area has a rather interesting history in that regard.
This is true. Luckily most of the lead and zinc were closer to Joplin, the majority of mines were for coal and have since been made into a wildlife area and hundreds of lakes. Mostly narrow but have decent depth. It is a neat area historically. In regards to the European immigration I like how you can see it in the food. You have a lot of different types of restaurants, as well as Chicken Annie's and Mary's being started by wifes of injured miners. You can even see the ethnic diversity at these places where you can get fried chicken, german potato salad and spag hetti on one plate and that's the standard way. Many little Ghost towns that have 400 or less people in them today and several thousand during the mining days. Scammon, home of Josie's italian (which is amazing), West Mineral and on and on.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:10 AM

77 posts, read 173,952 times
Quote:
Isn't that because it's a college town? I figured most college towns' housing was mostly rentals. But I own one rental house (not in a college town), and that's one rental house too many. But as a landlord, I am johnny-on-the-spot and fix things immediately and make sure everything is in good shape and in good working order. I couldn't do any less, but then I'd be hoppin' if I owned a hundred rentals. No thank you. I refuse to have any building of mine be a dump. Haven't the time or desire to maintain one, much less a hundred. I'm trying to sell my rental to my renters--the first renters I've ever had who weren't destructive trashy slobs.
It's not just Pittsburg, though. Coffeyville, Chanute, and Parsons all have the same problem with housing blight. People scoop up homes for $10-20K and try and rent them out for 500-600/mo (which is expensive in those parts, considering what you get).

Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM

11,225 posts, read 11,271,327 times
Quote:
Maybe in the old days older college students rented these dumps but now its probably all HUD homes.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:24 PM

11,010 posts, read 20,848,169 times
Westwood, KS, population 1,500

Because it's right in the middle of the 2.2 million people of the Kansas City area.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:06 PM

22,190 posts, read 38,714,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Westwood, KS, population 1,500

Because it's right in the middle of the 2.2 million people of the Kansas City area.
Do I get a lucky prize if I say I lived there? When I was very young our family resided in Westwood.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
Well, here comes a bad thing... I visited Lindsborg and there was nothing special there, just about 1,000 bike riders and old houses. It takes 5 minutes to see everything there.
You haven't seen EVERYthing...

College stories - Deadspin

If Lindsborg wasn't famous before, it will be now. And the coach's last name is "Hiscock" of all names.

The picture was published in Golf Digest and Sports Illustrated, and is on Facebook.

So I guess it depends on what your meaning of "special" is.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Didn't know that. Thanks.

Pioneer88, thanks for the info also. Might actually take a deeper look at the places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas