U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 AM

2,871 posts, read 2,477,795 times
Default Kansas House and "Covenant Marriage"

Kansas House approves covenant marriage measure / LJWorld.com

I heard about this yesterday and I have to confess, I had never heard of "covenant marriage" before. On the front end, it sounds reasonable to have couples get some sort of premarital counseling, but I would really prefer that be their choice, such as the classes required by the Catholic Church.

On the back end, I'm not so sure it's a good idea for couples who opt for this type of marriage contract to wait a year and jump through hoops in order to get divorced. I think it's rather ironic that in a state where Big Government is the enemy, the state government wants to interject itself into peoples' marriages. I was relieved to learn this is an option, because if it weren't, I think we'd see far fewer marriages taking place in Kansas. I cannot imagine who would opt for this.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 8 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,652,761 times
I am not sure if a person can sign a piece of paper asking them to opt out of one of their rights. some one with more experience in law will have to chime in if in fact you can create law that would ask a person to opt out of an already given right.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 AM

3,785 posts, read 3,063,148 times
I think they are overstepping with this one. My experience is that when you marry you feel that it will be forever and you'll be able to work out your problems and on and on......... But, that is not the reality. No Fault divorce is a necessity and should be an option at any point in any marriage. You often hear that people give up too easily and just divorce but it has been my personal experience and that of many others where it may darn well look like you gave up without a fight but in a year, you could have ended up dead or with your child(ren) suffering needlessly. Not everyone's problems end up as front page news. The other day when I was going through the lists of bills at the Capitol, I was overwhelmed and I realize unless everyone gets up to speed on what is going on........................not good anyway.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I am not sure if a person can sign a piece of paper asking them to opt out of one of their rights. some one with more experience in law will have to chime in if in fact you can create law that would ask a person to opt out of an already given right.
Well, Kansas would be the fourth state to implement this law. I can't remember all three that currently have it, but Arizona and Arkansas do, so there is a precedent.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I think they are overstepping with this one. My experience is that when you marry you feel that it will be forever and you'll be able to work out your problems and on and on......... But, that is not the reality. No Fault divorce is a necessity and should be an option at any point in any marriage. You often hear that people give up too easily and just divorce but it has been my personal experience and that of many others where it may darn well look like you gave up without a fight but in a year, you could have ended up dead or with your child(ren) suffering needlessly. Not everyone's problems end up as front page news. The other day when I was going through the lists of bills at the Capitol, I was overwhelmed and I realize unless everyone gets up to speed on what is going on........................not good anyway.
I've been following some of what's going on in Topeka, and it makes me want to leave Kansas. I read that the State House passed a bill preventing unions from using members' dues for political contributions, clearly an intent to dry up Democratic campaign funds...and give the Koch Brothers more power than ever.

I'm drifting off topic when I say this, but we will never have free and fair elections until all elections are publicly financed and all private contributions are eliminated.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:39 AM

14,971 posts, read 19,703,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I've been following some of what's going on in Topeka, and it makes me want to leave Kansas. I read that the State House passed a bill preventing unions from using members' dues for political contributions, clearly an intent to dry up Democratic campaign funds...and give the Koch Brothers more power than ever.

I'm drifting off topic when I say this, but we will never have free and fair elections until all elections are publicly financed and all private contributions are eliminated.
The Republicans in KS will only be pleased when plutocratic corporatism rules over everything and the Koch Brothers, the recipient of billions of dollars of party money, get their way. The Koch Brothers are well known for denying any human involvement in climate change, and being one of the biggest polluter interests as well. That's Kansas for you. Giving tons of welfare to corporations while taking away personal freedoms via social conservatism. It is the worst combination.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 8 days ago)

5,827 posts, read 4,652,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Republicans in KS will only be pleased when plutocratic corporatism rules over everything and the Koch Brothers, the recipient of billions of dollars of party money, get their way. The Koch Brothers are well known for denying any human involvement in climate change, and being one of the biggest polluter interests as well. That's Kansas for you. Giving tons of welfare to corporations while taking away personal freedoms via social conservatism. It is the worst combination.
Yes , we have a number of oil tyrants of our own that the people in the US need to some how rise up against

Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Yes , we have a number of oil tyrants of our own that the people in the US need to some how rise up against
Too late. The Supreme Court gave them the key to the country with their extremely unfortunate Citizens United ruling. The only thing that can undo it is an act of Congress...literally. But the foxes are in charge of the chicken coop. How can you get those whose pockets are being lined by special interests to vote for it to stop? When you see video of John Boehner passing out tobacco-lobby checks to members of Congress on the House floor, and admitting it to a reporter after he does it...well, our founding fathers must be spinning in their graves.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 AM

3,785 posts, read 3,063,148 times
Seems like everyone is fed up with politics in KS no matter which side of the fence one is on. I just saw a bill passed by the Senate that would give tax breaks to young people who stay or come back to KS. I think if they would listen to the citizens, maybe they would not have to pay them to stay in the State.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Seems like everyone is fed up with politics in KS no matter which side of the fence one is on. I just saw a bill passed by the Senate that would give tax breaks to young people who stay or come back to KS. I think if they would listen to the citizens, maybe they would not have to pay them to stay in the State.
Hear hear!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas