Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,050 times

Advertisements

I am from California, and I am attending the University of Kansas upcoming fall.

My friends describe me as a "city/club scene person who loves to get down dirty," but I want a dramatic change in my life for couple years, which is why I am going to KU. I have no interest in settling down in Kansas what so ever, but I would like to know what's there to do (not saying this in a negativ or ignorant way) in the city of Lawrence and Kansas City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM

266 posts, read 832,087 times
You might try the Kansas City forum, too.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:15 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Lawrence is a college town. So it has the same entertainment options that any good sized college town would have (live music, night clubs etc), plus the city has some decent recreational trails for mountain biking etc.

But other than that, Kansas City, MO is where most of the regional entertainment and attractions are.

Lawrence is part of the KC region, but the KS side of KC is generally suburban. You can be in central KCMO in 45 minutes from Lawrence.

My point here is that even though you will be in Kansas, which really doesn't have a lot to do, you are very close to a major metropolitan area even though that metro's core city is in Missouri.

You keep asking about Kansas as if KCMO doesn't exist. I would sudgest you look into KCMO for some entertainment options because it really does offer a lot of what you might desire, except that ocean thing...

Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 15,543 times
There is plenty to do in Lawrence- you can definitely go to Mass Street bars for a good time and there are tons of fun restaurants and shops down there also. There are events at South Park often, concerts downtown, a dog park, bike trails along the river, movies are shown outdoors in the summer, farmer's markets, not to mention KU sporting events that are always a chance for the town to party

Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
When I was at KU, I had two different friends who came to KU to work on their Masters degree because they thought three would be so little to do in Kansas that they would have no choice but to focus only on school. They soon found out that there wre plenty of distractions in Lawrence Really, you think when you have over 25,000 college students in a town of 88K, there won't be anything to do?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM

49 posts, read 80,320 times
If you love to learn about WWI, Kansas City has a great museum on it. Never have i ever been to a museum that did anything on WWI.

National World War I Museum - Home Page

Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
the city has some decent recreational trails for mountain biking etc.
Perhaps we should clarify that you can do biking on a "mountain bike" in Lawrence, but there ain't no mountains nearby, unless you consider Mount Oread something other than just a steep hill.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
You'll keep plenty busy. All kinds of things to do on and off campus, clubs to join, activities to get involved in. KU football, KU basketball - once you get there, you WILL be hooked on KU sports. Will you be living on campus or off campus? Dorm? Fraternity/sorority? You'll find things going on wherever you choose to live. You won't get bored in Lawrence. Kansas City is 45 minutes away and any concerts you want to see or shopping you want to do, that you don't have in Lawrence, you will find in Kansas City. Personally, when I went to KU I rarely ventured out of Lawrence - there was no need to!

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times
Season tickets to KU basketball if you can get them. You will experience one of the best sports environments anywhere in the country at Allen Fieldhouse. Even the games against crappy teams are sold out.
Kansas City is a 40 minute drive away with lots of entertainment and some of the best BBQ restaurants in the country.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:46 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lawrence is a college town. So it has the same entertainment options that any good sized college town would have (live music, night clubs etc), plus the city has some decent recreational trails for mountain biking etc.

But other than that, Kansas City, MO is where most of the regional entertainment and attractions are.

Lawrence is part of the KC region, but the KS side of KC is generally suburban. You can be in central KCMO in 45 minutes from Lawrence.

My point here is that even though you will be in Kansas, which really doesn't have a lot to do, you are very close to a major metropolitan area even though that metro's core city is in Missouri.

You keep asking about Kansas as if KCMO doesn't exist. I would sudgest you look into KCMO for some entertainment options because it really does offer a lot of what you might desire, except that ocean thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas