U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 AM
 
Location: Athens, GA (via Pittsburgh, PA)
9,743 posts, read 8,757,559 times
Reputation: 8861

Advertisements

Yes, white people are fleeing Garden City. They all know about the monster tornado that is about to smash the city at 6:19PM on Saturday, April 30, 2011.

 
Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
113 posts, read 232,537 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Yes, white people are fleeing Garden City. They all know about the monster tornado that is about to smash the city at 6:19PM on Saturday, April 30, 2011.
Good thing im going to be in Emporia . Don't they call Emporia the Armpit of Eastern Kansas or something like that? Why all the western Kansas hate when there are packing plants and rundown towns with high crimerates and immagrants in all corners of the state?
 
Old 04-01-2011, 09:05 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,852 times
Reputation: 18
All u people just make me sick, by hearing all of your prejudice remarks. When it should not matter what color or race you are we come to America for Reson land of opportunites and for us to work take care of our families and work and send are kids to school. Another thing get your statements clear were not (Aliens).. And the latinos are not the one who started 09/11 or were not at war.... ANOTHER thing this land belong to the Mexico and Indians so you white people how do u come along and act like this country or even town belongs to you guys. And yes us latinos are hard workers we will do wat ever it takes just to bring in money for our family...Because you whites are picky and choosey.. All u whites also complain about us but you sure like our food... Then come up with Taco Bell jajajajaj...Der is a god and he teaching was not to be like this, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoin
 
Old 12-25-2011, 04:35 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,486 times
Reputation: 26
Garden City is not the community I moved from in 1971. The packing plants ruined this town. "Cultural diversity" is a cancer that has overwhelmed and consumed the character of what this city once stood for. Just read the paper and see which nationality of names dominate the police report.
 
Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 PM
 
86 posts, read 55,245 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiacosta30 View Post
All u people just make me sick, by hearing all of your prejudice remarks. When it should not matter what color or race you are we come to America for Reson land of opportunites and for us to work take care of our families and work and send are kids to school. Another thing get your statements clear were not (Aliens).. And the latinos are not the one who started 09/11 or were not at war.... ANOTHER thing this land belong to the Mexico and Indians so you white people how do u come along and act like this country or even town belongs to you guys. And yes us latinos are hard workers we will do wat ever it takes just to bring in money for our family...Because you whites are picky and choosey.. All u whites also complain about us but you sure like our food... Then come up with Taco Bell jajajajaj...Der is a god and he teaching was not to be like this, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoin

You have ignorance as well though because this land doesnt belong to mexicans or indians, ALL lands belong to GOD and everything humans create here is theirs but not the lands or the waters. BTW do you see the mass killings going on in mexico? In the end that will take more lives than this recent petty war. Stop defending your race and defend the people!
 
Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Wyo
248 posts, read 227,917 times
Reputation: 221
I work on a ranch here in West Central Kansas; I did'nt want to come here..I had no choice; ranch-jobs where I came from are hard to come by, and even harder to keep because of the high-cost of running livestock on Gov't controlled lands, thx to all the incoming 'hordes' of metro-suburbinites pouring into the Rocky Mtn West, so they can build thier 'McMansions' at the foothills of said Mountains...

...but back to my point: I'm here now...and I've made one trip to Garden City for X-mas shopping, and to make a grocery-run...what I saw in the Wallmart was a REAL eye-opener, compared to where I just left...

...not pointing fingers at any particular 'Race' or 'Creed' here, but when I see women walking around covered from head to shoes in full-body Burkahs looking around at everything and everybody with 'suspicious' eyes...it makes ME suspicious as well...

...when I see (young) twenty-somethings racing around town in late-model Sports-Cars and modified Pickup-trucks where just the RIMS ALONE are worth more than the twenty-yr old Chevy I'm stuck trying to take care of (because I cannot afford to write the check for the keys to a newer one) and they CLEARLY don't have acceptable social-skills or dress appropriately-enough to hold down a job or career 'commesurate' with the type of income necessary to afford to PAY for those vehicles (either in cash or by monthly payments) THEN I BEGIN TO WONDER.

Something is WRONG with this picture...and I'm thinking it's a no-brainer as to why so many Caucasions are looking for better oppurtunities elsewhere.

But I'm not worried; life has taught me (if nothing else) that water tends to rise to it's own level, and while birds of a feather tend to flock together, eventually it will all come to a head, and the lower-class immigrant-communities will self-implode by thier own accord, and have to move elsewhere once all 'oppurtunities' (and 're$ource$') are used-up.

Once again, I'm not pointing fingers; I was born/raised in the tri-state area back east, so I'm no stranger to finding myself amidst people of all races, colors, creeds and religions...I don't see skin-color anymore, and as long as I don't see Minnarettes (from which the 'Call to Prayer' would be blaring-out several times a day) popping-up here on American Soil, and as long as I continue to see hard-working Mexican-Americans walking through the aisles of Wallmart, (children in tow close behind) where the Father is CLEARLY in charge, and the Mother (wife) is SUPPORTIVE of his efforts to raise thier family, I am comfortable in the knowledge that American-Values are being taken seriously.

America has room for people who want to work hard to live decent lives...

...but as for the others...I just don't think we have any room for you.

Get tuff or Get out.
 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,006 times
Reputation: 24
been living in GC for 19 yrs now; being a single mom when first moved here; i lived right next to the park, never had any issues with any gangs; people treat you as you treat them; as far as white people fleeing, probably because most jobs here at beef plants and such you have to get your hands dirty......... instead of talking of the town going bad do something about it in your community as i have decided to take run down properties and make them more acceptable for people to live in and in the meantime doing good business. So no matter where you live, what color you are, your life is what you make of it, whether you speak spanish or not; speaking two languages makes you that more valuable. Went from being the single mom not able to afford much to now traveling and shopping wherever I want so GC has a lot of opportunity for those that are willing to work hard for it!!

Oh, by the way I am one of those immigrants who came to this country not knowing a word of English but now I can say I earn more than a lot that were born with the full advantage in this county and I like having my new cars so point all the fingers you want at me!!

My father doesn't speak any English and he also thinks it is funny that he rents to white folk that will never in their life know what it means to own your own home!!

Last edited by memyself67; 12-19-2012 at 08:53 PM..
 
Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
113 posts, read 232,537 times
Reputation: 123
I've been to the majority of the states in this county and all of the larger towns in Kansas and let me tell you there are similar sized towns in other states as well as this state that are in much worse shape then Garden City. These towns manage to avoid being picked on all of the time just because the majority of their population is Caucasian. The older rundown parts of Emporia are in no better shape then their counterparts in Garden City and the job market there is much worse even with the university. Hutch has a horrible job market as well a a dead mall and a crumbling down town as well as a sad downtown that has never recovered from the impact of the mall. Salina has drug and violence problems that are worse then any of the towns in south west kansas as well as having the same small gang problems and yet people post about it positively. Quite a few of these "flaws" that get thrown on Garden City can also be applied to Coffeyville, Junction City, and Arkansas City as well.

I will list some positives to be found in the South West Kansas area.

1. Garden City and Liberal have several stable, well kept and safe neighborhoods which is something Dodge City has always seemed to lack.

2. The entertainment options in DC and GC have improved in the last 10 years. Dodge City has two new arenas, an ok casino, as well as the Depot Theater and the State Theater in Garden City is in planning to be restored for use. The zoo in Garden City is also replacing older exhibits.

3. Shopping options are expanding. Several national Chains have their only store between Pueblo, Amarillo, and Wichita in Garden City and Dodge City.

Dodge City has the largest JCPennys store in that span as well as the only bath and body works and full line Hallmark.
In that same 200 mile span in 3 directions Garden City has the only full line sears, target, sams club, Staples, Home Depot, as well as several smaller stores like DEB which are located in the Garden City Plaza. Garden City also has a new shopping center that is being built at this moment. The utility info structure and road work, as well as the main anchor tenant (Menards) are currently begin done for Phase 1 of a new development called Schulman Crossing. When it's finished Schulman Crossing will be larger then the Garden City Plaza and the developer has hinted that several big name tenants such as Olive Garden and Kohls are interested in being apart of Phase 2. Freddys, At&T, and a Marriott Hotel have all come in based on this development.

4. There are still several wonderful locally owned businesses that have managed to innovate to compete with the big box chains. Examples would be Whartons Flowers, Wards Pets and Garden Center, Crazy House, The Corner On Main, Bertas Flowers. Ewe's Special Occasions, Wheatfields On Main, J&M Pain and it's Sister J&M House of Light, and Pro Build just to name a few.

5. I can't speak for Dodge City and Liberal on this one, but Garden City has 2 restaurants that have been recognized on the state level. Pho Hoa was a top runner up for the 8 wonders of Kansas, and Las Margaritas one once won the award for the best minority owned business in Kansas.

6. Garden City and Dodge City care about their downtown areas and are working on reviving them. Garden City has made quite a bit of progress on this as the majority of storefronts are filled and several second stories, as well as a former office building, the original high school, the warren hotel, and soon the former american legion building have all been converted into residences or high end rentals. Dodge City just started so they aren't in the same place yet.

7. Garden City now has a decent regional Airport. DC and GC were able to cooperate to secure the funds to drop Great Lakes airlines and their 20 seat plans and get 40-50 seat plans to Dallas/Fort Worth international airport. This has almost doubled the number of passengers using the airport and saved it from funding cuts.

As a final comment I would like to add that most of the rundown areas associated with Garden City aren't even in the City limits. We also have a suburb of around 2,000 people where the majority is white. People also commute from Sublette, Scot City, Lakin, and Cimarron on a daily basis and they never experience the horrible things people post about SWK on here and on other sites. I've spend a large amount of time in Hays, the U.P. of Michigan, and several other towns and I can tell you the problems here are found elsewhere and are defiantly not as bad as people make them out to be.

By the way while the Beef Plant does dominate the employment in Finney County it does not dominate the way it does in Ford in Seward counties. We also have International Paper, Palmer Tank, Several Oil and Gas Companies, a large power plant, a community college, and a large hospital that all pay well just to name a few.
 
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Athens, GA (via Pittsburgh, PA)
9,743 posts, read 8,757,559 times
Reputation: 8861
Yes, white people are like, "Run for the hills!" And then they're like, "Wait a minute; there are no hills around here!"
 
Old 12-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Status: "More snow please" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,399 posts, read 21,471,703 times
Reputation: 7806
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
I've been to the majority of the states in this county and all of the larger towns in Kansas and let me tell you there are similar sized towns in other states as well as this state that are in much worse shape then Garden City. These towns manage to avoid being picked on all of the time just because the majority of their population is Caucasian. The older rundown parts of Emporia are in no better shape then their counterparts in Garden City and the job market there is much worse even with the university. Hutch has a horrible job market as well a a dead mall and a crumbling down town as well as a sad downtown that has never recovered from the impact of the mall. Salina has drug and violence problems that are worse then any of the towns in south west kansas as well as having the same small gang problems and yet people post about it positively. Quite a few of these "flaws" that get thrown on Garden City can also be applied to Coffeyville, Junction City, and Arkansas City as well.

I will list some positives to be found in the South West Kansas area.

1. Garden City and Liberal have several stable, well kept and safe neighborhoods which is something Dodge City has always seemed to lack.

2. The entertainment options in DC and GC have improved in the last 10 years. Dodge City has two new arenas, an ok casino, as well as the Depot Theater and the State Theater in Garden City is in planning to be restored for use. The zoo in Garden City is also replacing older exhibits.

3. Shopping options are expanding. Several national Chains have their only store between Pueblo, Amarillo, and Wichita in Garden City and Dodge City.

Dodge City has the largest JCPennys store in that span as well as the only bath and body works and full line Hallmark.
In that same 200 mile span in 3 directions Garden City has the only full line sears, target, sams club, Staples, Home Depot, as well as several smaller stores like DEB which are located in the Garden City Plaza. Garden City also has a new shopping center that is being built at this moment. The utility info structure and road work, as well as the main anchor tenant (Menards) are currently begin done for Phase 1 of a new development called Schulman Crossing. When it's finished Schulman Crossing will be larger then the Garden City Plaza and the developer has hinted that several big name tenants such as Olive Garden and Kohls are interested in being apart of Phase 2. Freddys, At&T, and a Marriott Hotel have all come in based on this development.

4. There are still several wonderful locally owned businesses that have managed to innovate to compete with the big box chains. Examples would be Whartons Flowers, Wards Pets and Garden Center, Crazy House, The Corner On Main, Bertas Flowers. Ewe's Special Occasions, Wheatfields On Main, J&M Pain and it's Sister J&M House of Light, and Pro Build just to name a few.

5. I can't speak for Dodge City and Liberal on this one, but Garden City has 2 restaurants that have been recognized on the state level. Pho Hoa was a top runner up for the 8 wonders of Kansas, and Las Margaritas one once won the award for the best minority owned business in Kansas.

6. Garden City and Dodge City care about their downtown areas and are working on reviving them. Garden City has made quite a bit of progress on this as the majority of storefronts are filled and several second stories, as well as a former office building, the original high school, the warren hotel, and soon the former american legion building have all been converted into residences or high end rentals. Dodge City just started so they aren't in the same place yet.

7. Garden City now has a decent regional Airport. DC and GC were able to cooperate to secure the funds to drop Great Lakes airlines and their 20 seat plans and get 40-50 seat plans to Dallas/Fort Worth international airport. This has almost doubled the number of passengers using the airport and saved it from funding cuts.

As a final comment I would like to add that most of the rundown areas associated with Garden City aren't even in the City limits. We also have a suburb of around 2,000 people where the majority is white. People also commute from Sublette, Scot City, Lakin, and Cimarron on a daily basis and they never experience the horrible things people post about SWK on here and on other sites. I've spend a large amount of time in Hays, the U.P. of Michigan, and several other towns and I can tell you the problems here are found elsewhere and are defiantly not as bad as people make them out to be.

By the way while the Beef Plant does dominate the employment in Finney County it does not dominate the way it does in Ford in Seward counties. We also have International Paper, Palmer Tank, Several Oil and Gas Companies, a large power plant, a community college, and a large hospital that all pay well just to name a few.
It is good that Garden City is making progress overall, but you are ignoring a large problem. There won't be enough water 50 years from now in SW Kansas to sustain much of anything the way the climate is changing now. That coal power plant is a major user of water, and SW Kansas should be utilizing wind and solar, NOT coal under any circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top