Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

I have been talking with a co-worker who grew up in Kansas City Kansas. Her family immigrated from Mexico to California 20 plus years ago. They moved to Kansas City when some friends told them about how the cost of living was more favorable there than in California. My coworker has three sisters that stayed here in California. She has lived here on and off for the past 14 years and has been with our hospital for the past 8 years. Anyway her mom has talked her into moving back to Kansas City.

I started looking into the price of homes in Kansas and my interest went way up when I found a place in Lawrence Kansas for $300,000 on 8 acres of land. With further checking I found plenty of homes for under $100,000 that at least on line looked very nice.

This has lead me to ask two questions.

1: When you personally think of Kansas what is it that you think of that makes you want to stay? What is it that you can get in Kansas that may be missing in some other state?

2: Is there a desirable place that people would choose to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM

896 posts, read 1,476,319 times
CowPatties.

And then when I'm having deep thoughts about Kansas I picture Dorthy clicking her heels three times, stepping out of the balloon, and into a CowPatty.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM

266 posts, read 831,956 times
take care trying to compare the Kansas City area and Kansas. If I wanted opinions about KC, I would post on the KC forum. For information about other areas of Kansas, you might try to name particular places.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
take care trying to compare the Kansas City area and Kansas. If I wanted opinions about KC, I would post on the KC forum. For information about other areas of Kansas, you might try to name particular places.
Never said anything about wanting information on Kansas City specifically other than my co-worker is planning on moving back. I would like information on the state as a whole. For me when I think of kansas I think of Aviation. mainly because of a good friend of my dads that worked for Cesna I think. What I am looking for would be what do you see as the benefits to your state. Are their places that are must see places.

To top that off what would be a good place to live if you wanted to buy a second home, or a retirement home.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:52 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have been talking with a co-worker who grew up in Kansas City Kansas. Her family immigrated from Mexico to California 20 plus years ago. They moved to Kansas City when some friends told them about how the cost of living was more favorable there than in California. My coworker has three sisters that stayed here in California. She has lived here on and off for the past 14 years and has been with our hospital for the past 8 years. Anyway her mom has talked her into moving back to Kansas City.

I started looking into the price of homes in Kansas and my interest went way up when I found a place in Lawrence Kansas for $300,000 on 8 acres of land. With further checking I found plenty of homes for under $100,000 that at least on line looked very nice.

1: When you personally think of Kansas what is it that you think of that makes you want to stay? What is it that you can get in Kansas that may be missing in some other state?

Nothing comes to mind. I'm a Kansas native, and I left the state at age 18 and never went back, other than to visit family every few years. I remember in the '80s Kansas had a marketing campaign with the tag line, "Land of Ahs". But we referred to it as the "Land of Blahs" lol!

The only place in the entire state I could tolerate would be Lawrence, and that's because I like the town and having the university there with all it offers, a young population, and it's pretty much the only liberal city in the state. (Don't be fooled... Liberal, KS isn't!)

Old 03-24-2011, 03:54 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
I wouldn't retire here, no way. But then, I lived most ofmy life somewhere else and moved to Kansas because of my husband's job. It is way way way too conservative, socially and politically, for my tastes. I hate the weather, and I miss forest preserves. I haven't been unhappy here, but it isn'ton my list of places to retire. We will move north again. Snowier winters, but generally, the weather is actually better up north than it is here.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

1) Good food, well grounded people.

2) Emporia. But that's influenced by nearness of family.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM

I am a very conservative Republican living in the somewhat liberal California in a middle of the road county that is home to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. I live 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean and have grew up in the area that I still live at today. I did live for a couple years in Iowa and loved it there, so I am not adverse to living around the weather. This is also for a second home, a place that I can from time to time to get a way from the hustle and bustle of the LA metro area. Preferably near an area that I can fly my plane into. The fact is if you know of a place where pilots have homes that they can keep their planes at that would even be better.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:18 PM

266 posts, read 831,956 times
I think CA,is the place for you. Please stay there.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
I think CA,is the place for you. Please stay there.
I plan on staying in California. I also plan on buying homes in other states. My goal is to own a home in all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas